Locks on Leer the Truck Cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SushiGirl

Reaction score
UHi everyone. Just got my leer truck cap. The kind that gets higher toward the back of the truck. The big sheet of glass door seems flimsy and the locks even more flimsy. There is no way to lock from inside. Yes, the truck was an impulse buy 2004 F150. Does anyone know how I can secure from the inside and secure better from the outside? Thanks.

SushiGirl,
That link goes to a varied list of options. But if you want or need more ideas, may I suggest you take a photo of exactly what you see from the inside == so those in the know can look at what is exposed or available on your particular cap.

If I were to use a Hasp Style lock to secure my canopy.. I would figure out how to mount the tongue on the inside of the door, at the tailgate seam. And use two receivers (the part the lock goes through) one inside, one out. And flip the tongue across the tailgate edge for inside/outside locking. I do not like the idea of an hasp outside when I am inside. Too easy to lock me in. Not cool.

GypsyDogs said:
If I were to use a Hasp Style lock to secure my canopy.. I would figure out how to mount the tongue on the inside of the door, at the tailgate seam.  And use two receivers (the part the lock goes through) one inside, one out.  And flip the tongue across the tailgate edge for inside/outside locking.  I do not like the idea of an hasp outside when I am inside.  Too easy to lock me in.  Not cool.

I agree that you need to take steps to keep some idiot "humorist" from locking you in.  But just lock the padlock in place in the receiver without the hasp, and it can't happen.  Trying to put the hasp on the inside would just leave a gap for bugs to get in.

You don't need a lock on the inside, just a way of securing the door. A hasp and a stick would work, traditional door thingies would as well. I reinforced my hasp mounts inside and outside with wood. I keep the locks inside.

I've got the locks that slide the inside lock 90 degrees so it touches the inside wall of the topper. I'm also looking for ideas that can be easily removed in an emergency. So far I've come up with drilling a hole through the lock and into the shell where the rubber insulation will hide it. Then getting a nail or something and adding a pull ring for easy release. Has anyone done this?

Yes sir Vice grips not only lock but make a good place to hang the flash light.