Living off the land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vonu-the arrow rest is a "whisk er biscuit" used in archery, this is only the insert, it already had 2 holes in the bottom so I used zip ties to&nbsp; strap it to the forks, I also took the regular nock off the arrow and epoxied a golf tee to it for a better grip.<br>

Hey dragonfly---I got those cards online from a place called Speedhook.com. I don't know if it's still there; give it a try. Around 30 feet is a good distance. There are other bands that are stronger that will give more distance and speed.<br>

P.S. Caution---These types of slingshots are not toys. They can be dangerous when used improperly. Be very careful and practice first.<br>

wow, all kinds of stuff coming up here that interest me. i love the slingshot/arrow weapon. i am looking to take up slinging, and pondered some slingshots while searching for a sling.....i am also trying to get Ron to get some blow guns for when i get back to Texas to visit.<div><br></div><div>so many weapons, so little time.....<br><div><br></div><div>Lampliter, do you make those things, like to sell?</div></div>

Hey Katie-Yes, I make all types of slingshots. There is a place you'd really like-they have blowguns and other sharp things. coldsteel.com---also coldsteel.com/special projects.<br>

i have a cold steel Bushman, one of my favorite sharp things! i had no idea they did blowguns.<div><br></div><div>RON.....DID YOU HEAR THAT?????????</div><div><br></div><div>so how/where do you sell your slingshots?????</div>

lampliter said:
Vonu-the arrow rest is a "whisk er biscuit" used in archery, this is only the insert, it already had 2 holes in the bottom so I used zip ties to&nbsp; strap it to the forks, I also took the regular nock off the arrow and epoxied a golf tee to it for a better grip.<br>
<div><br></div><div>Does a slingshot provide enough kinetic energy to overcome the drag like a longbow would?</div>

<FONT size=3>Be aware that sling shots and blow guns are illegal in some states/cities or towns!</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>more info here:&nbsp; <A href="http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32543" target=_blank>http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32543</A></FONT><br><H1 align=center><FONT size=3>SLINGSHOTS:</FONT></H1><P>Slingshots, slingshot ammo and slingshot supplies cannot be shipped to the following states, or cities:</P><b>Delaware: </b>Dover &amp; Wilmington<BR><b>Florida:</b> St. Augustine<BR><b>New Jersey<BR>New York: </b>Only wrist-braced slingshots are illegal.<BR><b>Massachusetts<BR>Minnesota: </b>Duluth<BR><b>Rhode Island<BR>South Carolina: </b>Charleston<BR><b>Tennessee: </b>Knoxville<BR><b>Utah: </b>Salt Lake County<BR><b>Virginia: </b>Falls Church<br>It's illegal to hunt with a slingshot in<b> PA</b><br><br><P align=center><B>BLOWGUNS:</B></P><P>Blowguns and Blowgun Darts are prohibited in the state of California, and Mass and in the city of NYC. </P>

Why can I get a plastic straw anywhere blow guns are prohibited?

cyndi- thanks for the heads up. i am very versed in the intricacies of traveling with guns and complying with state laws, but i only just learned that i need to do the same with knives. gah. i woulda never guessed about slingshots. i will have to do some research...if there is a way to possess a slingshot legally in "outlaw states"....maybe disassembled?<div><br></div><div>i guess i should check out slings. i wonder how many people would even know what it was? i've seen some netted ones that kinda looked like a jock strap. sorta.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>officer, that's my thong.</div><div><br></div>

Hey all---slinging can go to a whole nother level. A well made slingshot with the right bands can achieve some pretty good feet per second figures, although they can't compare with a compound bow or a well strung long bow, they are pretty remarkable implements. Here are a few more. The unfinished one will be set up for arrow shooting. The ammo you see is steel balls and something I call tracer ammo. I sell them directly, using a paypal account. For more info contact me at [email protected].<br>

just for clarification, when i was talking about slinging, i meant this kind. just so i don't confuse everything<div><br></div><div><a href="http://slinging.org/" target="_blank">http://slinging.org/</a></div><div><br></div><div>i am very excited about the slingshot slinging also!</div>

That is interesting---I didn't know that slingshots and blow guns were illegal in some places. Thanks.<br>

Thank-You Cyndi-I will not be shipping to any illegal states or cities. Who's a thunk it?<br>

<P><FONT size=3>I only knew because I bought my son both when&nbsp;I was traveling and we lived in Massachusetts.&nbsp; Yeah, we found out the hard way.</FONT></P>

Hey Katie---I read somewhere that a guy killed a giant with one of those things---the sling I mean. <br>I made one when I was a kid---nothing was safe including my buddies front teeth. A lot of practice is necessary to hit anything with one.<br><br><br>

although you could kill a small animal, rabbit, squirrel, etc. if it was necessary to eat. For me slingshot making and shooting enables me to make a little money and it's tremendous fun and very relaxing. There are also rigs used for fishing believe it or not. It has turned into a pretty unending hobby.<br><br><br>

lampliter said:
Hey Katie---I read somewhere that a guy killed a giant with one of those things---the sling I mean. <br>I made one when I was a kid---nothing was safe including my buddies front teeth. A lot of practice is necessary to hit anything with one.<br><br><br>
<div><br></div><div>That sling was as dissimilar from those of today as is possible.</div>

This is a topic Heidi and I enjoy too! We both have slingshots that are modified to shoot arrows. Both have the black bands that claim to be the strongest and must be at least close. They perform very well. Heidi's is setup with just a basic split-ring on the DIY inner-tube bands like others online have demonstrated. It is incredibly accurate and has very little drag on the fletching. &nbsp;Mine is apart at the moment - of course I modifying it some more. Mine has a red dot sight as well as a laser sight which I just changed out for a much better green laser. The arrow holder is getting changed as well to a home grown version that is between a whisker bisquit and a basic split ring.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>Heidi just got into the blowguns too. She bought one a few weeks ago and is quite accurate with it!&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Fun stuff and can certainly be a skill that helps feed ya! One thing I wanted to mention is that I don't believe the Javelinas are without a season from what I read. Where was that supposed to be? I did a little checking and it seems that AZ and all the other states that I saw have seasons and tags just like other game.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>If you do a little checking on Youtube, there are some with guys fishing with slingshots. (I will stick with my flyrod!) I know I have seen other sites with info on larger game being taken with slingshots firing arrows too. They are a pretty serious weapon.&nbsp;</div>

Latest posts