Living in an XJ.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic.

Reaction score
[I'm documenting changes to my Jeep as I prepare to live in it. Figured I could post them here as well.]

I'm considering using my XJ as a place to dwell and sleep. I've lived on a relatively small sailboat before so I'm accustomed to the lifestyle. It's the XJ specifics I'm interested in.

Considerations:
  • Limited sleeping room. I'm 72 in. tall and would probably need to push the passenger seat forward to dig out a space long enough for good sleep.
  • No tire carrier. I plan to install one to move the spare out of the cargo area. A roof rack is an option but not sure about it.
  • The back seat is unnecessary. I'm going to remove it and put it in storage along with the apartment stuff. I'll build a platform for the gap with space underneath for storage.
  • Privacy. Install the darkest tint legally allowed on all windows. Privacy curtains or cloth where necessary. Especially between the front and the cargo area. Don't want looky loos.
  • Storage. I'm thinking that I split the cargo area so that one side is for sleep and the other side can have plastic drawer type of storage.
  • Parking. I'm reading that some shopping centers that  have 24 hour gyms and markets and such are good spots, since it's not unusual to have vehicles parked overnight.
Does anyone have experience living in an XJ or have good tips for making a XJ as livable as possible?

Are you trying to stay inconspicuous and sleep inside the Jeep? What about a rooftop tent?

Yep, inconspicuous. That's why I'm sticking with the XJ instead of trading up for a small RV. You see one of those parked on the street and know someone's living in it.

How much stuff would you keep with you "at home"? Would you be living out of the XJ own it's on or in conjunction with the storage space?

I'm essentially sleeping in the XJ. There's the gym, coffee shops, the office, etc. to provide other amenities. That said, I would have some basics like a cooler for non-perishable food, clothing, phone and tablet, books. Small stuff that tucks out of sight. No hording.

I'm adding better (larger) side mirrors to my list of things to do. Wondering what can be done using aftermarket parts.

Anyone can see you sleeping there if they look through the front windshield can't they--very little tinting allowed there I believe?

I think a better method of stealth is an old cargo van.

Sliding curtains just behind the front seats. I grew up in a van family and we always had them "just in case".

And additional stuff like reflectix, the aforementioned sun shade. Not too concerned about peepers after I set it all up.

I should say reflectix where appropriate. I imagine that'd draw attention if placed on an untinted window.

I'm going to have to follow this thread just to see how you do it. I used to own a 97. I've camped in it, but never thought about living in it.

Living in a vehicle. Minimal. A sleeping place, washing place, sitting place, $h!ting place, storage place. How much in a very small vehicle? Do you cook and eat?

I thought you were referring to the Jaguar XJ at first.
Now that would be a challenge.

OK, I understand you not wanting to get an RV...I get that.

but why not a mini-van like an Astro?? Are you stuck with this rig for some reason or another?? Is it the 4wd?? (Astro's come in All-Wheel drive ya know).

Camping would be great in a rig like this...but full-time living?? I can understand stealth, and minimal living...but having to rearrange your living space every time to do the most basic stuff on a daily basis is gonna suck in very short order, and I feel that this is so extremely small that you're setting yourself up for failure......but that's just my opinion.

(altho I DO know several guys who live FULL TIME on their MOTORCYCLES!!! and quite successfully at that!)

...and maybe if I was younger, I'd feel differently. Now I'm old and too practical about stuff.

All the Best to ya!! Good Luck!!

Ah, right. I elaborated at the old forum.

I'm in a helluva lot of debt. Don't want to pay stupid high rent for an apartment any longer. Waiting for my lease to end. After that, I'm done. I'll exercise and shower at gyms. I work at an office with a fridge, bathroom, kitchen stuff, computer and internet, so most of my weekday is covered. Then I'll hit the gym and shower again, and retreat to my parked Jeep to sleep. So it's "living" in the Jeep the way a backpacker lives in his tent overnight, or the way a sailor lives on his boat when it's moored. My work on the Jeep is so I can have privacy for a good night's sleep, storage for a few essentials, and some measure of comfort if I hang out on the weekends. I'm considering my storage options for the bit of stuff I want to keep but not carry. I'll either look for a small unit or keep it with family.

The reason it has to be this Jeep: I love it and won't sell it to trade up for something else unless I have to.

Thanks for questions and well wishes. It'll certainly be a new experience, so no matter how well I prepare there'll be unexpected situations.

There are people on this site living in their cars, so I could see this for a single person, especially one who likes to get off the beaten track.
For us, it would be fun as a tow vehicle to go exploring where our moho won't go. We'd have to make other arrangements for the cooler, but don't need one as big as pictured for a few nights out in the deep boonies.

I'd say it has the coolness factor.

Just a thought, looking at your first photo I see what looks like a class 3 receiver hitch. Have you ever thought about adding a small enclosed cargo trailer? This would expand your living quarters greatly, as well as giving you a lot more storage room.

Those aren't my photos. Just inspired by the work of others.

That said, I do have a class III, but I decided a while ago that a trailer is too much of a target. Call me paranoid but I'd rather squeeze into the vehicle and be ready to drive away ASAP.

Vic, Thanks for posting your "blank canvas" pics. I'll be watching to see how you proceed. It looks like you've done your homework based on the other pics you've posted. When on the road, I live out of a Prius hatchback; so, totally know that your planned living arrangement in a Jeep is both totally possible and can be made very comfortable. Suanne

I want to keep track of your progress as well. This will prove to be interesting.
Curious, have you stripped it out so you can insulate better?

What's the climate (temperature situation) in the area you live? What are you going to do about it getting too hot or too cold?

Ballenxj said:
Curious, have you stripped it out so you can insulate better?

I stripped it because XJs are notorious for floor rot. Moisture trapped in the carpet insulation is hell on the sheet metal. I'd rather leave it bare.

PastTense said:
What's the climate (temperature situation) in the area you live? What are you going to do about it getting too hot or too cold?

It's the bay area in CA. Varies depending on location. It gets kinda cold in winter or near the Pacific, but blankets take care of that. I do worry about heat. (I hate summer). I'm thinking of installing a vent on the roof over the cargo area. It'll help bring in cool air and hopefully prevent fogging.

Haven't checked in much.

Truth is I've been complacent and now time is nearly up. I just gave notice for my current apartment. I'm simply going to install the wood cargo floor with hatches over the rear seat area to stow away some things. Look for a long bit of foam cushion to sleep on. I was hoping to set up tinting before I left the apartment but funds have been limited. I may just buy some of those sun blocker deals and hang them all around the cargo area as a temporary measure.

Last minute as always, but that's when things happen.

Thanks for checking back in. I for one would like to hear how things are working out for you. :)

Looks great so far, will be following. I two was thinking Jaguar XJ... But I would love to do this with an Range Rover Classic, but reliability would be concern when trying to survive.

Oh man, I love XJ travel articles! Can't believe I missed it. Thanks @akrvbob.

I built and installed the platform this past weekend. Kept it fairly simple, with just a few inches of elevation to encourage air circulation. (I'm obsessed with preventing moisture on the sheet metal). Now there're lovely paint fumes to air out.

Photos soon.