Living in a travel trailer year round

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If both names are on a financial document--mortgage, vehicle (or other) loan, the two need to work together to dispose of the item, whether a house/land or a vehicle or whatever. One can't sell/dispose of property if two names are on it, either by loan or by deed. One risk is trashed credit for one or both, severe financial risk until the situation is resolved and one name removed via refinancing, pay-off, or jointly sold somehow. Both are responsible.
Harder to get out of that than a marriage.

One thing you might want to consider living in a camper.Me and Vic lived in a camper in Mt.for several years before retirement.We contracted with a propane company to set a 120 gal. tank next to the camper.The tank rent was only $10 per month and the propane price was about half the cost per gallon vs filling 30 lb tanks.Some months we had to have the tank filled twice.It's amazing how much heat a camper needs when the temp is 10-20 below 0.We also bought 3/4 in Styrofoam and lined the outside walls in closets and cabinets.Finally removed the closet doors to keep the walls from icing up.Thank goodness we were younger then.

We spent half of a Midwest winter in a travel trailer. Believe me, there wasn't enough propane in the state to keep that thing comfortable. It was a new, good quality trailer (25 years ago). It boasted upgraded insulation in the floors and enclosed plumbing and other goodies. We still had thick ice inside the windows, frost on the walls, and mysterious drafts. Couldn't wait for affairs to be settled so we could head south.

gcal said:
We spent half of a Midwest winter in a travel trailer. Believe me, there wasn't  enough  propane in the state to keep  that thing comfortable. It was a new, good quality trailer (25 years ago). It boasted upgraded insulation in the floors and enclosed  plumbing and other goodies. We still had thick ice inside the windows, frost on the walls, and mysterious  drafts. Couldn't  wait for affairs  to be settled so we could head south.

gcal,

It isn't only travel trailers that have ice grace the windows in the winter.  When I was seventeen and living in London, England, my rented room had half an inch of thick ice on the inside of the windows most mornings.  Scotland (where I'm from), of course, was worse, and we're talking sturdily built two-feet-thick brick or sandstone walls - with no heat.

Living in Yukon Territory, again in a house, albeit one with a wood frame, we had frost climbing four feet up the walls every morning for the looong, dark, seven-month winters.  We had a woodstove going constantly, but since it frequently dropped to fifty below, we still had the ice on all the walls regardless.

We rented a travel trailer here in Whistler some years back, a large one, which proved impossible to heat, and we simply lived in outdoor clothes indoors - all the time - (I'm talking snow suits) and slept with multiple duvets on the king-sized bed.  Our youngest daughter slept in the middle, LOL, refusing to occupy her own well-padded bed.

The trailer we rented didn't fare too well in the - 40F weather, but then it wasn't designed for winter living.  

I don't mind snow camping in a tent as long as I get to take my Elk (-40) sleeping bag with me.

Humans, it would appear, can more easily adapt to winter conditions than RVs and travel trailers can - at least, that's been my experience.

Shalom,

Jesse.