Livin la vida LOBO

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobolove

Reaction score
Hello from FarNorCal,
Last summer working at a ski resort I found out first hand what it was like to be free. I moved to North Lake Tahoe and worked for a ski resort basically as a lumberjack preparing the slopes for the winter season.

Making barely enough to pay rent I had saved enough money to move out after two weeks and buy myself a 6' 1978 Lobo slide in camper. To be honest, it was a total POS. The first night it rained. I had no idea what I got myself into. After three trips to the hardware store and a gallon of tar, I finally stopped all the leaks. Then the cops showed up.

I had an expired license that was six months overdue. It was just a matter of time before I was pulled over. Speedometer broken, I had no idea how fast (or slow) I was driving while on the road. Just my luck, I had made an appointment a couple hours before going to bed to get my licensed renewed, and I kept the email confirmation for an occasion such as what I was about to experience.

12:43 a.m. "WASHOE COUNTY POLICE KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM." In a feat of incredible skill and concentration, I was able to unzip my sleeping bag using only my elbows and chin so I was able to keep my hands where the officers could see them. As I stumble over my disorganized and rain soaked piles of clothing and living utensils, one thought ran through my head. This is not happening. This is it. I'm going to jail. Not even one night and it's all over. I answer the door "Hello?"

To my surprise, the officers were not interested that my license was expired. I even offered to show them the email confirmation I had to get a new one. All they wanted was to check my background and make sure that I knew I needed permission to be on private property. "Code blue." Have a nice night. Thanks, you too.

Three more weeks passed with no more issues. And then my time working was cut short. Due to unforeseen circumstances I was unable to continue working and had to come home. I decided to take advantage of my situation and take some time to completely restore my new tiny home.

I spent two months completely reengineering, remodeling, and renovating my tiny rv. I tore everything out, re insulated, added new framing, reinforced the outdated little home with metal and wood. Added a sink, small holding tanks, a battery to power lights and a fan, a 12v power outlet, and a heater. I redesigned the bed to fold up while not in use. The entire home has a new theme. Everything either hides, folds, or is removable. I have maximized my thirty six square foot camper to allow me to live as I please, and travel as I wish.

Now, I am in the final stages of what is going to be the beginning of a brand new adventure. Fitting the camper back on my truck, making sure the windows don't leak, mounting a heater for the winter, installing propane to cook and heat with, and finding the plushest memory foam mattress I can find so I can always sleep through the toughest nights. There are countless ideas i have for my new home, but through this entire process I know that no matter where I end up, home is where the car is.

I am still new and have a lot to learn. I welcome any and all input on what to expect, where to stay, places to go, things to watch out for, and anything else that I may possibly run into during this adventure. I will be frequenting this forum to ask questions and seek answers. Someday I will hopefully meet many of you on this adventure of mine!

09c93f5a7506a041d8aa00b3d13faf44.jpg

5d47e63e27cb836a885f9b64219b4fca.jpg

718b0850aed85de8011229b08e541e88.jpg

Welcome to the CRVL forums Lobolove! Very nice job oh the renovations! It looks like you're ready for more adventures. Keep us posted with updates!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

What a great intro. Can't wait to read and see more. Welcome!

I love the Lake Tahoe area, summer or winter it is beautiful. I loved going even when I didn't particularly like the company I was with, sad but true. I haven't been there in a while but looking forward to going back. Sorry to hear your time there was cut short but seems like you found something to take your life in a new direction. How exciting!

GypsyChic

Welcome[emoji779]️
Nery vice, but I hope your camera didn't run out of film [emoji328][emoji56]

Welcome. I am sorry that your first night started a little rough but at end the sprit was with u. By the way your new home look great.

Welcome indeed, Tahoe can be a dumbass magnet and some people just "f" it up for the rest, Looks like your squared away and learning. Great pics by the way.

I've got bad news, freedom is addicting!!! Now that it's gotten it's hooks in you, you can hardy ever go back to the slave-way-of-life. :)

We're really glad you're here and look forward to hearing more about your adventures!
Bob

At first thought "Damn Sam you do nice work". Good looking job and as the other poster mention, keep the pics coming.
Were all here to help one another.

Mike R

Thanks guys! I'll be posting more pics soon. Just got it back on my truck and working on the final touches before I set off. I'll keep you all posted

What a fun post to read and glad you made it out of that sleeping bag in one piece!

Latest posts