Liquidating possessions - split from RVers trash left behind........

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Savage Adventure

Reaction score
altruisticvanbuild said:
Just wanted to mention though, you referred blm land and such as privilege to camp for free. If this isn't a human 'RIGHT" I don't know what is. Everything, including EVERYTHING you and I are is a gift from (whatever you want to call it) the ultimate source.  To make everything a thing of purchase is just the stunning arrogance of human beings to usurp everything that's not ultimately theirs for their own monetary enrichment.   Just sayin'.   Rich

This hits close to home for me right now...I am kind of "stuck" in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Why? I am trying to liquidate the contents of my U-Haul storage unit, which costs me $109.95/month. The problem is, as a tourist area everything around here is expensive. I was originally staying in an RV Park very close to the storage unit. The rate there was $175.00/week. I had to take a trip to CA for a wedding. When I returned the rate had gone up to $300.00/week!

I switched to a State Park only to find the rate not much better and no sewer connection. I've bounced around a bit since then since places have been booked so far in advance that it's nearly impossible, but even when I can find a place with a few days, the rates are what I was paying for my Mortgage payment. Once I can get away I will have more options. But right now I feel trapped by my circumstances. But, to the point you were making, even the "public lands" here are expensive! Like, Motel Room expensive! And most don't even have a sewer hookup.

my question is, you are paying 109 bucks a month plus campground fees for your stuff. is the stuff worth it? I don't know I am just asking. maybe you have gold, silver, and tools in there. but if you just have household item I say throw it in the trash and cut your losses. highdesertranger

Get what you want and leave the rest.  The owner will auction it off to someone thinking there's treasures in there.  I know someone is going to come behind me and be critical, but it is an option nevertheless.

A Savage Adventure said:
 I am trying to liquidate the contents of my U-Haul storage unit, which costs me $109.95/month. I was originally staying in an RV Park very close to the storage unit. The rate there was $175.00/week. I had to take a trip to CA for a wedding. When I returned the rate had gone up to $300.00/week!

Is an acceptable seasonal rate available within reasonable distance? When I unloaded possessions I priced them to move and knew full well that I was incurring a loss but the end result ultimately was the win as the items were gone and I had a little dough. The toughest part of it all is knowing the value of something and intentionally incurring a loss. To battle this idea is the ongoing cost of keeping those unseen/unused items along with the thought of still being tethered by them. 'Tis the season in Idaho & points north but perhaps there is a seasonal spot for you so you can wind things up there.

To A Savage Adventure:
Break free from the oppressive hold of your materialistic belongings. Cut through the chains that anchor you and escape to freedom.
Oops, sorry, got carried away there.
Donate your things to charity or Goodwill.
Cut your losses and let your assets run free.
These things are holding you back from living and moving forward. Unload and don't think twice.

Move forward, your past attachments are holding you back.

Don't look back, a new day is dawning...

A little rockin inspiration,
Boston, don't look back, music video

highdesertranger said:
my question is,  you are paying 109 bucks a month plus campground fees for your stuff.  is the stuff worth it?  I don't know I am just asking.  maybe you have gold, silver,  and tools in there.    highdesertranger

I like where you rank tools  :cool:

Actually tools are the main thing I have there. I've been meaning to bring most of it with me, but I need to get a cap on my truck before I can bring extra tools along. I also want to bring my jack and jack stands. I've already wished I had them more than once. I already donated a lot f expensive things, including a $4,000.00 gaming system and another video editing PC worth about $3,000.00. I knew these items would be difficult to sell and I wouldn't get a good return on them, so they have new homes that really appreciate them.

I was also an electronics engineer for years. A good portion of things I saved were test equipment and bench tools, some of which are worth $5,000+ each. Since this constitutes my only income right now (selling my electronics off), I felt compelled to keep the storage unit. I mean, just one test tool that I can put on eBay would pay for the storage unit for a couple of years or more, but, I needed to be close to deal with the larger items. I don't mind giving those things up, but everything is kind of mixed in right now.

As for cutting my losses...I won't give up my tools...however I am considering packing up the more expensive things to bring with me and sell while moving on. It's this particular part of Idaho that's expensive and hard to find free camping resources. Once I start moving east again I should be better off.

I actually have a few things up on eBay right now. Looking for a missing piece to one of my oscilloscopes. If I can find it then I will leave and deal with the rest later. Perhaps this weekend I will go clean house, so to speak.

Yeah, I'm an electrical engineer too. Hard to part with some of that type of stuff. Try Offerup. I found that if I allow nationwide, I get offers, offerup takes a cut and sends me a shipping label. I just sold a parabolic hunk of glass to someone in tucson. If not for that, I'd pbrobably be tossing it in the trash tomorrow. (I'm getting ready to move my business to a smaller space).

you may also want to try just having an auction for your locker yourself. Advertise it on craigslist, take some photos of the good stuff, let people look in but not touch, and then do an auction. You may be surprised, At the end of the day, you will end up with some cash, and they will clear the unit out. (Make that a condition of the auction.)

closeanuf said:
Get what you want and leave the rest . . .

Sounds like the urban version of leave your trash in the woods for someone else to clean up.

A Savage Adventure said:
Actually tools are the main thing I have there. I've been meaning to bring most of it with me . . .

I was also an electronics engineer for years. A good portion of things I saved were test equipment and bench tools . . .

You guys have it easy  :p  I'm a retired mechanical engineer with a Bridgeport mill and a Monarch lathe, both ~2 Ton & 220V.  Not exactly something one can throw in the back of a van and play with in the boonies.  I still enjoy using them so I'm not ready to unload them yet.

ZoNiE said:
Yeah, I'm an electrical engineer too. Hard to part with some of that type of stuff. Try Offerup.

Yeah, I just sold a Tektronix Scope worth $15,000 on eBay for under $7,500. That was an ouch, but as others have said, I need to cut my losses. Still it took me years to get things like that. Last scope I have is a Teledyne LeCroy WaveSurfer. Hoping to get a few thousand for it (still a loss).

I still have some items up on eBay. I had never heard of OfferUp. I will check it out. It may help out. Thanks!

P.S. - a friend sick of eBay mentioned this other place: https://www.bonanza.com/ (Supposedly similar to eBay)

Spaceman Spiff said:
You guys have it easy  :p  I'm a retired mechanical engineer with a Bridgeport mill and a Monarch lathe, both ~2 Ton & 220V.  Not exactly something one can throw in the back of a van and play with in the boonies.  I still enjoy using them so I'm not ready to unload them yet.

Yeah, I don't mind unloading this stuff as I'm leaving that life behind. I just don't want to give away what took me years to acquire.

You have to remember that someone buying has maybe been looking for years to acquire one.

Spaceman here on earth people LOVE to bid on abandoned storage lockers.  The owner gets his rent due and often more than was owned and the buyer gets a bunch of stuff for flea markets or Ebay.  I have a friend who buys the contents of storage lockers and does quite well.  It's like a hobby.

highdesertranger said:
my question is,  you are paying 109 bucks a month plus campground fees for your stuff.  is the stuff worth it?  I don't know I am just asking.  maybe you have gold, silver,  and tools in there.  but if you just have household item I say throw it in the trash and cut your losses.

Funny you should mention that...as well as anyone else who suggested walking away and letting the unit be auctioned off. ;)

After we had this discussion I went over to the storage unit and dug out some specific items I was looking for, boxed them up, weighed them on the scales (also in storage) and loaded them into my truck to post on eBay. Here are three boxes I listed. This represents $5,000 in just three boxes. I listed these items and one sold immediately and the others are as good as sold as they have bids. So yeah. It may be a pain and inconvenience at the moment, but I am going to move this stuff.

I will be donating a large portion of items that I don't want to bother with or that I know will take time or not be worth the hassle. But I need to get other things out of the way first, plus I need to decide where I am going to donate that stuff. People suggest Good Will, Salvation Army, etc. But the bulk of stuff I will be giving away will only be of use to electronics engineers, hobbyists and college students in electronics and robotics.

20180615_155151.jpg

Attachments

• 20180615_155151.jpg
    20180615_155151.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 3
well I guess you do have tools and good tools are always worth money. the reason I asked is I have seen way to many people pay a 100 bucks a month for years to keep 50 bucks worth of junk. highdesertranger

Hey Chris,

I'm an EE too ... trying to sell my 1GHz VNA for dimes on the dollar here in the bay area, and even then no takers :(

I am contemplating Ebay, but have been scared off by the horror stories from honest sellers on YT ... and that onerous Ebay Seller's Agreement (saying that they can come after you for $2k under their 'Buyer Protection' scam). Basically, these days Ebay doesn't care about sellers anymore, and they let dishonest buyers take advantage of honest sellers.

Have you any luck with selling to used test equipment dealers?

highdesertranger said:
well I guess you do have tools and good tools are always worth money.  the reason I asked is I have seen way to many people pay a 100 bucks a month for years to keep 50 bucks worth of junk.  highdesertranger

Nope. I had some serious and expensive stuff to sell. It was just that in the rush to move out of my house in time I didn't organize things very well. There are some tools I won't part with like my mechanics tools and hand tools. But everything specific to my now defunct career is going on eBay. And while I am at it trying to sell some furniture and yard equipment. That stuff will be given away if it comes down to it.

wypoon said:
I am contemplating Ebay, but have been scared off by the horror stories from honest sellers on YT ... and that onerous Ebay Seller's Agreement (saying that they can come after you for $2k under their 'Buyer Protection' scam). Basically, these days Ebay doesn't care about sellers anymore, and they let dishonest buyers take advantage of honest sellers. Have you any luck with selling to used test equipment dealers?

You are correct, eBay is there for the buyers and not the sellers. Four times in a row I had an auction specified as United States only. No international shipping. Each time some foreigner won the auction but didn't pay me because I wouldn't ship to their country. Shipping international is a hassle, expensive and you have to fill out customs paperwork. Not to mention that in some countries the government charges an import tax before the buyer can claim the merchandise. If this is too much for them they will often walk away and claim they never received their item.

When buyers do this you cannot leave negative feedback for them. In fact, according to eBay, negative feedback has been removed from their system. So now you can't tell when people are habitual scammers on their because they can only have POSITIVE ratings!

And I did have one auction where I tested the product with a companion product because, and a full time RVer I don't do returns. Too much hassle. So I test everything. This one buy took forever to file a claim on his item saying it was defective. I figured he didn't configure it properly so I sent directions on how to use it with his product. He replied that he wasn't an idiot and that the item was defective and to refund his money.

I contacted eBay who informed me that I MUST refund the money or they will step in on behalf of the buyer for their protection policy. They told me after I received the item I could file a claim if the item was damaged by the buyer. So when the item cam back it smelled like it had been in a tobacco factory for 20 years! It had this residue all over it. It was basically not able to be sold again. eBay says I can file an appeal, so I did. They denied me. According to them, the buyer is always assumed to be right. For the seller it is considered the cost of doing business. But as I tried to explain the the customer service person...I am NOT a business.

So yeah, there are some bad elements...but I also recently sold $10,000 worth of equipment in 60 days. So there are good times and there are bad time. I just put up two bench power supplies and an oscilloscope and the Agilent supply sold immediately using BuyItNow. The other BK Precision P/S has watchers and the Teledyne LeCroy scope has multiple watchers an a bid so far in just one day. So it will sell at this point. It is likely there will be a bidding frenzy toward the end of the auction.

Most of what I am putting up is in high demand so I am not too worried about that. When I am down to the stuff I have to relist I am just going to cut my losses and give it away so I can close down this storage unit.

Wow, thanks for sharing your Ebay experience! Very disheartening to hear that ... I had thought these were just some very unlucky sellers, but as you too have experienced the same, I'm going to steer clear of Ebay. What you and others are saying is basically Ebay forces sellers to take all the risk, while they pocket their commission regardless. I will stick with CL ...

I would take a continuous video of testing out that equipment and then packing it in the box, taping the box and then signing over the cardbox and tape and then a shot at the UPS store showing the signed taped box on the counter and showing shipping receipt.