Liquidating possessions - split from RVers trash left behind........

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have a storage unit full of crap myself yes I said crap I'm a packrat, once I get my RV next month I will go through it probably keep all my fishing equipment keep some stuff that I can give away at the RTR like ice chests and stuff like that and the rest I will probably leave in the unit and tell them to auction It Off and hit the road.

wypoon said:
Wow, thanks for sharing your Ebay experience! Very disheartening to hear that ... I had thought these were just some very unlucky sellers, but as you too have experienced the same, I'm going to steer clear of Ebay. What you and others are saying is basically Ebay forces sellers to take all the risk, while they pocket their commission regardless. I will stick with CL ...

I'm sorry if I've dissuaded you from eBay. That was not my intention. I did want to validate what you heard. But just the same I have more good experiences than bad. I still have a 100% rating and I will continue to use it as a resource for the time being. This has a limited life for me. I am trying to liquidate years of acquired electronics tools and equipment. Once it is gone, I won't have any use for eBay.

I would take a continuous video of testing out that equipment and then packing it in the box, taping the box and then signing over the cardbox and tape and then a shot at the UPS store showing the signed taped box on the counter and showing shipping receipt.

Now that's just too much work and not worth my time. I appreciate the idea, I just mean I'm not going to let eBay force me to have to go to such lengths when, in the end, it wouldn't change their policy or how they treat me. I will continue to sell until the bulk of my valuables are gone and then give the rest away. 

I will continue to use Craigslist for just the larger local items. Things I am not willing to ship. Of course, I also cross-post them on the Facebook marketplace, although lately they've both been kind of slow. Probably because it is summer and people are out enjoying it.

As a note, every time I list a new group of things on Craigslist I get several scammers replying first. Fortunately I have been selling on there so long I immediately spot them. But people not used to it can fall victim to their scams.

Can specify local pickup and cash payment on eBay.

Just do the deposit on PayPal.

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Even if it's solid gold- unload it and don't look back. Today is the day! You will feel so much better. I found that my precious things were only precious to me. Even tools, I have new ones that fit my life. ~crofter[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]from BOSTON:[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Don't look back
A new day is breakin'
It's been too long since I felt this way
I don't mind where I get taken
The road is callin'
Today is the day
I can see
It took so long to realize
I'm much too strong
Not to compromise
Now I see what I am is holding me down
I'll turn it around
I finally see the dawn arrivin'
I see beyond the road I'm drivin'
Far away and left behind
It's a new horizon and I'm awakin' now
Oh I see myself in a brand new way
The sun is shinin'
The clouds are breakin'
Cause I can't lose now, there's no game to play
I can…

[/font]

crofter, thanks for posting that. I love the group, Boston. Very wise words. I am giving some of the stuff away now. Things are moving much more quickly now. There were slowed down by a recently discovered issue with my truck and the realization that it wasn't worth fixing. So I had to go through getting a new truck after all.

Chris wrote:
Actually tools are the main thing I have there. I've been meaning to bring most of it with me, but I need to get a cap on my truck before I can bring extra tools along.

a few extra large Rubbermaid tubs might hold the tools til you get a cap...? have seen cable & lock strung through handles and attached to truck bed for security...though that could draw more attention ~ "must be something valuable in there?!"

Yeah, I've actually decided I am going to get a Tonneau cover instead of a cap so I can retain more visibility behind me and not obstruct my rear window which has a slide. But yeah, I am looking into it today, so I can expedite moving things along.

I assume that you've had that visibility issue in the past, with my CX series cap by ARE there is good view through the cap rear window with the windshield mirror with slight intrusion of the cap interior in the mirror at the edges. There is a sliding window option to match your cab's sliding window as well. I don't have the slider on either window but did get the flip down option to clean both glass surfaces easily. I only say all this to be helpful if these were the deterrents from you getting something that you really wanted. There is about a month wait on a new one, while you can walk in/walk out with a new Tonneau. Having had both I like the cap for my traveling as it's quieter in the wind and the more storage available, and I'll stay dry as I tinker with something.

I just noticed your website in your signature and paid a quick visit... nicely done.

Can you add insurance on your auctioned items at the post office?

I know how hard it is to part with stuff. Hey, I'm human. Sounds like Idaho doesn't have anything good but spuds! I started renting a storage space with a company called Global. I like them and it's only 70 bucks a month. I store some things including tools and a lifetime of goodies. The space is big enough to keep anything in there, clean, and convenient. It might just be temporary, and allows me to use what I need and think about what I really need and what I can dump on Goodwill and let it become somebody else's problem.

rm.w/aview said:
There is about a month wait on a new one, while you can walk in/walk out with a new Tonneau. Having had both I like the cap for my traveling as it's quieter in the wind and the more storage available, and I'll stay dry as I tinker with something.

Yeah, I had considered the cap seriously...but in the end I had to think about what I needed it for. Since it is just storage for some things I want to save (tools), I don't need any height above the top of the box, so I ended up going with the tonneau, though I did choose a folding hard unit instead of the single piece I was going to get.

I just noticed your website in your signature and paid a quick visit... nicely done.

Yeah, it's a work in progress. I am a little behind having been dealing with the liquidating, truck issues (I got a new one) and some RV issues. But once it is done it will chronicle my travels and link my videos (once I get them uploaded) as well as show off some photos and places I visit.

(seems pertinent, especially the "when you look back" part)

Traveler, your footprints
are the only road, nothing else.
Traveler, there is no road;
you make your own path as you walk.
As you walk, you make your own road,
and when you look back
you see the path
you will never travel again.
Traveler, there is no road;
only a ship's wake on the sea.
- Antonio Machado

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/58815/traveler-your-footprints

Another EE here. I sold a lot of my test equipment too but most of it was boat anchor stuff, like a 7104 1Ghz mainframe Tek scope with a pretty decent high brightness display (for capturing one shots). Like $400 for a scope that was originally $40,000 with all the plug-ins (not what I paid of course lol).

I kept my Agilent 4 channel 200mhz digital scope (circa 2014) because it is small and quite useful (has 32 channel digital probe set too). I haven't turned it on in a year though :-(

I threw away over seven 100 watt CO2 lasers. Just didn't have time to sell them. What a shame. I kept a 20kW yag doped fiber laser (diode pumped) because you never know when you might need a 20kW laser.

Sold a 7,000 pound Shizuoka CNC mill for $1500....with tooling!

Wish I had that still though....just a bit heavy for the road.

IGBT,

I cut my own foot off on selling this stuff...I had a Twitter account with over 2000 followers and a popular engineering website with a virtual store, but I shut both down before I realized I really could've used the advertising. Ah well. I sold my 6" Vise this morning and have several inquiries for my drill press, grinder and work bench. I am just now starting to give away things that I won't bother with as well as throw out things that really aren't worth anyone bothering with.

Is it possible for you to rent a budget truck and move your expensive stuff to a better storage unit/ and or cheaper place to live? That will give you more time to unload your valuables at a more better/fair price.