Lion Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longteam

Reaction score
Hi, I am in need of some help.  I have a 1991 Ford Econoline with the Fiesta XRT conversion.  I want to upgrade to a Lion battery, but I have been told, that I would need to upgrade all my wiring?  Is this true.  It does have all the onboad converter that came with it.  I really need a more reliable form of energy storage.

Thank you in advance

Natalie

You probably mean Lithium Iron Phosphate (lifePo4) and not Lithium Ion (LiOn).

Normally the upgrades involve the manner in which the batteries are charged as they may require different charging profiles from Flooded Lead Acid or AGM batteries.  Amps are Amps so assuming the batteries are the same amperage, then your wiring may be useable.  We need more info. Amazon sells RV Converters with the Lithium charge profile, so it might be as easy as changing your RV converter.

Some conversions are easy, others not so much.

It depends on how invasive you want your "conversion" to be. If you want a seamless drop-in, you can replace the converter/charger in it with one that is compatible with lithium charging. That should allow you to use all the same wiring that your vehicle came with from the factory. However, that doesn't always come with solar, generator, or other inputs. So if you want those inputs you may have to get more invasive and replace more components and wiring.

Latest posts