**** Lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
badmotor you do make some good points. but 'nature's carbs' were mostly seasonal. In that for every thing a caveman ate back then could kill ya for plants. Big unknown. So, known source of true food was hunting. Not that rotten meat wouldn't kill ya cause it can, it gave way more body benefits then it ever took.

everyone says google the Inuits. meat eaters point blank with very short seasonal berries available. Google Stefansson and Anderson. These are often not researched now cause no new info is around now but what is from the past is very very compelling.

many can easily go in and out of ketosis. But DEEP ketosis gives a way different benefit situation to your body. ONE another will never understand unless you do it and keep ketosis in deep form in your body.

Deep ketosis is not the same as 'just entering into ketosis'....not by a long shot. A lot of this info many will not and do not understand. Jackletop gets it :)

Blood sugar effects by individual are so different. So therefore the state of your ketosis and how your body reacts is very different for all...…..but in the end if everyone goes into a long steady, long time deep deep true ketosis state, everyone would understand what it is all truly about.

I been zero carb eater for over 3 years. It has given me the most and truly best health of my life. IT TOOK time to achieve that tho, it wasn't overnight, it wasn't 2 weeks in ****, I hit true unbelievable benefits from deep deep ketosis about 8 months into this and I can now never look back.

Wonderful post Jackle!! I so get what you are saying :)

While deep **** is a whole new world and those of us in it understand it, we must also still face outside sources of social events, smells/sights of old time fav foods and more. Even an alcoholic doesn't have to have alcohol in their face a couple times a day, but everyone must eat. So in a way fighting the super sensitive insulin resistance some of us carry is just as tough as any other addiction.

I know what works for me might not work for others, but understand the truth of what deep **** is versus 'light ****' is a world of difference.

Roamer

Interesting info on deep ****, I didn't realize the difference. I am going to do some more research and see if I can gain a better understanding on the topic.

yea a true deep ketosis state comes with tons of benefits that a light, or just entered **** state just doesn't give a person.

so yea there is a real diff. in that but many never find it or know it at all....cause it requires LONG term ketosis state to achieve. research is always one's best friend, lol

**** is sketchy to get into, for me. I am not willing to go to the expense of blood strips and what-not to measure it precisely either. Partly from the expense, and partly because I think once you do a little reading, the path is fairly straightforward and you know when you are cheating for the most part ... so just decide what you want, and do it. At your own speed, whatever that is. Looking at charts isn't going to change anything for most people.

I do find that I can get the **** flu. I have gone in and out of ****, by my understanding, a time or two in the brief time I've been trying it. I do community dinners all the time so it is hard for me to stick to ****. Very hard, because most people expect a starch with every meal and expect you to eat what you are serving them.

All that said, when I can be away from the needs of other people for a while, I find it much easier to keep a feeling of good energy and mental clarity when I fast for a while, either consecutive days of 18/6 fasting with low-carb dinners and/or fasts of 24 to 36 hours or more subsequent to those cycles. Slowly getting used to such low carbs makes the hunger pangs way easier to take when I do fast, and then the usual water weight loss and welcome lack of hunger pangs of sliding into **** comes quickly. My vision seems to clear up dramatically, too.

Anyway, for those considering ****, please consider reading up on intermittent fasting too. It is regularly held to be a less stressful, failure-prone way to get yourself into **** than just trying to get into it from your normal daily routine. Jason Fung's books and videos are pretty good on this, I find, FWIW. But this is a common idea in wide circulation at this point.

great posts on the board about experiences.

also one doesn't have to 'learn about IF' other than the benefits it does give the body if they want to understand more about what IF gives the body.

When one adopts a true **** lifestyle longer term and stays in ketosis and becomes a 'truly adapted ketone burning body' (which takes time on plan, and a bit different for everyone)…..the intermittent fasting becomes a normal part of your life. It is not a 'forced eating window' as some on an IF plan do.

IF plan could be I will eat only between 1 and 7 and not eat for the other 18 hours.

But with a very **** adapted body one falls into a ''natural'' fasting. As in you only require 1 or 2 meals thru the day. You might easily skip 1 meal from the 2 and eat just one time per day. You might try a day or 2 or 3 day fast cause you just can easily do it without starving and when your body is hungry you eat again without thought.

I attempt 3 day fasts and easily do them.....but at ANY time I am truly hungry I will eat something. I never ever deny myself food.

So for many of us deep **** adapted people fasting is normal. Doesn't have to be a forced IF plan in our lives, it literally comes natural to us.

which is what I love cause I think the IF plans people adopt serve them well. Many seem to do great on that 'type' of plan. IF makes them feel good etc. They get the fasting benefits etc.

luckily tho I don't have to be an IF planner, it is built right into my **** lifestyle :)

"7 Dangers of Going ****
The low-carb, high-fat plan promises quick weight loss, but health experts worry about these side effects and complications.
https://www.health.com/weight-loss/****-...de-effects"

Anytime I see a shock title like 'Dangers of..." I know it's more of an editorial or opinion piece.  I find this typical of the misinformation disseminated by folks who have yet to fully understand ketosis.  Research actual scholarly studies and you will find more solid info.  As in life, nothing is certain, and there are conflicting studies, its like all those medication advertisements that list side effects of both diarrhea and constipation...  You just need to sort through it all and avoid the fluff articles.  This is the religion/politics aspect I mentioned, and there is just so much conflicting information out there.  I'm very fortunate, in that I have several physician friends/athletes who advocate ****.  One physician/endocrinologist is a type 2 diabetic herself, on ****, and successfully treating other diabetics with ****.  The other physicians wife is a type 2 diabetic and both on ****.  He specializes in treating high-end athletes and obesity patients.  A third physician's wife has MS and they are both on **** as well.  All are cyclists in our club... all rode century rides last year.  Anyone curious to learn more about **** diet there's an interesting documentary The Magic Pill (2017) on Netflix that pretty much explains it.  I suppose in the end, the unconvinced will remain unconvinced... but that's ok.  Here's what I know..

**** flu... Yes, everyone experiences '**** flu'.  A big thing the article failed to  mention was the **** headache in the first week or so.  This alone tells me they understand nothing about ****...  We all get a headache, mild body ache, low energy, foggy mind, kinda hung over feeling for about 3-5 days and then it eases up by day 7-10.  Just get used to the idea that you will feel 'off' for the first week or so, and you just need get past it.  Sugar is one of the most highly addictive substances known.  You will experience carb withdrawals, and you will feel mildly ill until your body transitions away from the sugar.  I found the best thing to help me get past **** flu and especially to quell the headache are BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) salts once a day during the first week or so.  BHB (beta-hydroxybutyrate) salts are a source of exogenous ketones you can take before your body starts making it's own.  I might need a Tylenol if the headache persists but usually the BHB takes care of it.  However, just know that too much BHB salts can cause stomach upset.  I never experienced the upset, but it is a known side effect.  I found BHB salts also helps with hunger... I might take a half scoop anytime I'm feeling a little hungry, like before bedtime.  Once in full ketosis the headache and flu are gone, and you really don't feel hungry as you have in the past.  You will know when it's time to eat, but you don't feel that immediate urgency to eat right now...  Here's a link to the BHB product I use.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B666363/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Diarrhea... its possible, but most people get the opposite...constipation with the higher protein.  The thing when changing diet is to ramp up your fats slowly.  Too much fat too quickly, too much MCT's at first, and Erythritol sweetener can cause stomach upset and diarrhea.  Your digestive track will get used to the new diet, just ease into it.  Your intestinal flora will adapt and your stomach will settle in about a week...this is all just part of the **** flu.  If diarrhea is an issue, just know that after converting over to high-fat diet, if you then eat too many carbs you will get gas and diarrhea as those carbs ferment in your lower gut.  A product that I take everyday for stomach is FOS fructose-oligo-saccaride powder.  It helps nourish good gut bacteria and reduces gas or bloating.  FOS is a pre-biotic.  I discovered an unintended side benefit that it also helps lessen false hunger signals. I take a generous teaspoon in my coffee every morning; it has no taste.    

Alleged reduced athletic performance...  This is absolutely 100% wrong!  The main reason I went **** was to increase my athletic performance in cycling.  I went from 230-ish watts to well over 700 watts with diet alone in 3-4 weeks with the same training regimen.  All the high-end athletes I know are fat-adapted.  Note a serious flaw in that study... reduced performance by athletes after four days on **** diet.  Four days!  Are you kidding me, they're still in **** flu low-energy stage and haven't yet even began to feel benefits.  Let's go four weeks, and then compare...   There is a whole science to nutrition, what to eat and when, specifically for athletic performance.  It's not a one size fits all deal.  What I find is you need to feed your body what it needs, when it needs it.  An interesting but little know side benefit of **** is that it requires less oxygen for energy metabolism... which is a very very good thing for athletes.  However, we also need lots of water to metabolize fat, and this is how we lose electrolytes through urine.  Interesting tid bit... **** was studied to help Navy Seals extend time underwater when using rebreathers.   My experience... I had difficulty riding 20 miles on a carb-based diet.  Old nutrition routine was a double helping of oatmeal (with brown sugar, raisins, milk), coffee with cream/sugar, peanut butter/jelly sandwich, a banana, a cliff bar, and carb beverage powder in my water bottles.  Now I only have my MCT/coffee in the morning and I go ride my bike 20-30 miles with plain water in the bottles, then if I'm feeling frisky I'll stop for a couple deviled eggs and diet cola then go out for another 20-30 miles.             

Ketoacidosis - Unlikely.  Ketoacidosis is more an issue with Type 1 diabetics who don't make their own insulin, and aren't monitoring sugar and adjusting insulin.  Type 2 diabetics are less susceptible because their liver still makes at least some insulin, but all diabetics need to regularly monitor regardless.  Interesting fact, the two diabetics I know on **** diet, have no issues with ketoacidosis.  The physician/husband of a diabetic told me diabetics shouldn't get into acidosis on **** diet unless they fail to regularly check their blood sugar and adjust insulin, something they should be doing anyhow.  Persons in good health would not have an issue with ketoacidosis because its basically too low of insulin with too high sugar.  So unless you're already diabetic, it would be very hard to do.

Weight regain -  Exactly! People who go back on carbs regain weight.  **** isn't a diet per se, it's a lifestyle.  Once I wrapped my head around the fact "this is just the way I eat" everything fell into place.  Just don't expect this to be a diet you go on then go off...  If **** isn't right for someone, then just eat low-carb or vegetarian, but many people think of low-carb as a limited term diet too.  When farmers want to fatten a cow, they feed it a high carbohydrate ration of corn...  There's really no mystery here.  Fat doesn't make us fat, carbs makes us fat (except all vegetarian diet). 

Muscle loss -  The whole concept behind **** is it's actually a muscle sparing diet.  One must ensure enough protein to prevent muscle loss.  I generally eat about a double helping of protein, but it depends on my activity level.  Too much protein can kick you out of ketosis and be hard on kidneys, so I eat more protein only when I need to repair muscle, like after a strenuous workout.  I have one of those fancy scales that also measures body composition fat/water/lean mass.  I weigh each morning, and I can tell based on weight and water percentage if I'm stable/gain/loss.  If I'm up 2 lbs but my water is up 1% it's all water weight, nothing to worry about.  Lean muscle mass readings fluctuate with more water, but mine has stayed within about 1 lb, even at different fat percentages

badmotorscooter said:
I forgot to add there are two ways to enter ketosis, both from depleting your bodies store of carbs.

Not eating many carbs to begin with is one way.

Or staying physically active to burn up all the carbs and enter ketosis.

I choose staying physically active and can switch to ketosis at will.  It's simple math for me and I use a similar formula to control my weight.

This sounds very difficult to do without fasting.  People on virtually any diet have a lot of glucose to draw on, and most who are not extremely keen on label-reading and understanding of the many ways to hide sugar in an ingredient label are probably taking in much more sugar than they know.

agree Ding. physical activity will not throw one into ketosis if they are eating sugar. It requires the body to physically take in 'at least' 50 and under carbs to reach into some type of ketosis. Light **** is not like a fully adapted **** burning body. Also unless that physical activity is very very extreme and prolonged etc, people do not do enough to even burn into **** so...people need to focus on sugar intake for achieving any form of true ketosis.

Maybe someone that is **** or Low Carb could mention their daily meal menu to give us an idea of what's in store. I can read from all the different sites and whatnot but it'd help with some real time info.

I myself prolly fall into a Low Carb bracket but could visit the **** side fairly easy.

I'm a hybrid of sorts with doing, low carb, low meat, low calorie count intake, intermittent fasting, lots of water, moderate exercise , type of game plan and have dropped 25# during the past few months. I still have a sweet tooth but it's coming under control.
It seems that at this stage of my life , I just don't need three squares a day.

Converting to ketosis is dependent on glycogen levels in the liver. If you burn up all of your carbs and need more energy, your body will switch to ketosis.

Apparently this is not a deep state of ketosis, but you are entering ketosis.

This is were intermittent fasting comes in. When I mentioned physically active I should have explained what this meant. Running 6 minute miles and lifting free weights every day, in addition to staying very physically active all day long.

I physically run out of glycogen stores and my body does what it is made for and switches to ketosis mode when needed. Not the same as the deep ketosis some of you are practicing, but it has it's benefits. About to turn 58 and have managed to keep my waistline at 31 1/2 inches, same as in highschool. My free weight lifting regimen is light but very thorough, no more heavy weights or powerlifting.

My point being intermittent fasting and careful dieting allowing your body to cycle in and out of ketosis is healthy and makes you feel good.

Is it as good or healthy as deep continuous ketosis? I don't know. I have been doing additional research to try and figure that out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still have concerns about an extremely low carb diet possibly limiting nutrient intake.

I might add that if you have a good metabolism you can enter ketosis after sleeping 8 hours.

Intermittent fasting in a 24 hour period works, but you need to burn a lot of calories and be very physically active to reach glycogen depletion.

Like most people, when I first started reaching glycogen depletion I felt bad. It would take a while to cycle into ketosis and then I would feel better. After a few weeks I was able to easily switch to ketosis and barely notice the transition.

Carb cycling as it is called is a form of ketosis. There many variations on the actual carb cycling regimen. This is not the same as staying in deep ketosis, which until this thread I wasn't very familiar with.

regis101 said:
Maybe someone that is **** or Low Carb could mention their daily meal menu to give us an idea of what's in store.  I can read from all the different sites and whatnot but it'd help with some real time info.

In post #4 I said that I avoid the use of the word "****" to avoid all the fuss that goes with it. Since I have started having gout issues I have reduced my intake of different foods to avoid food related gout flares.  Broccoli and tuna are the only foods that I have a distinct correlation with gout flares.  In any case, I eat the same every day.  

boiled egg, cheese snack stick

2 ham n cheese rollups  (2 slices of ham, 2 slices of swiss, rolled up)

1/3 small can of chicken in a chicken salad (onion, bell pepper, egg, mayo) on 2 slices of swiss

Burger  96%/4%  6 oz, 42 g cauliflower (1/2 serving according to the bag)

1/2 daily multi vitamin, 2 g fiber capsule

I eat this most days.  Sometimes I leave out one of the meals, sometimes I double one of them.  As listed it is 820 cal, 43 g fat, 515 mg cholesterol, 1320 mg sodium, 7 g carb, 3 g fiber, 333 mg purine.  My goals are less than 50 g carb and less than 400 mg purine.  

The 1/2 multi vitamin is less than 100% of the RDA of lots of stuff, intentionally not getting toxic levels but assuring my daughter that I won't get scurvy.  The fiber capsule, one, not 5 caps 4 times per day, and the 1/2 dose of cauliflower are probably pointless.  Cheese with sawdust would probably be better.  

When I ate the usual way I had oatmeal every day to keep my cholesterol in check.  That caused great havoc with blood sugar.  Now with no bread, no oatmeal, no mashed potato, no pasta, no rice, no cherry pie, everything is ok.  Basically, no plants.

I don't follow '**** plan' either. **** plan is about meeting macros, keeping certain things out of your menu etc. If you google **** plan you find what is in the guidelines. I did a lc plan of Atkins. Now I do my own thing. As I need.

I started out with Atkins long ago.
On Atkins you start out on Induction. Induction is eat meat, seafood, some cheese and only 1 small salad per day with limited lc veg or you could sub out for a pickle. This is called eating at biological zero carb. Original Dr. Atkins counted only total carbs, no net carb stuff was created back then :)

I did Induction for 2 weeks. Wow I felt better but went thru some withdrawl and lc flu type things but once thru that I felt great.

Then on Atkins you 'climb the carb ladder'. He recommends adding in only 5 carbs per day...hold that for a week. Like take all the Induction foods, and add maybe some heavier veg. to your day like add some broccoli into your salad. Do for a week, see how you feel, did the scale go up? etc.

Then you add another 5 carbs per day the next week....now you are adding in 10 carbs per day. You maybe could have 5 crackers with your tuna or something like that. Now see how you feel after this week, did you gain weight? Are you feeling sluggy or is anything off?

Eventually you come to your 'critical carb limit'. Dr. A said you keep adding in carbs until your weight loss stops. And you might gain. So just for example, you start at biological zero carb.....then add in 5 carbs ones week and are doing well, then you add in another 5 and doing well, and then keep going each week. What carbs one adds back is important of course, but you just keeping going til say you added back in 25 carbs.....5 weeks of adding in and all of the sudden you step on the scale after that last week and ya gained 6 lbs. Now he says to take away those last 5 carbs you added....you are now at 20 carbs and you do that for a week again and check the scale. No gain, ahhh you are probably at your critical carb limit then. Add back in the 5 and see if you gain again. If you do then you kinda know where your critical carb load is for your body.

that is old Atkins in a nutshell kinda thing :) :)

So I did that. Lost a lot of lbs but as I climbed 'the dreaded carb ladder' I started gaining lbs very quickly. Over the 15 carb area I got hungrier. I got into that my body and mind wanted more and more sugar. If I stayed in the 10-15 total carb limit range in food other than meat/seafood/cheese (adding in veg or some blueberries etc) I got more and more hungry.

So I found my life did best in the 10-15 carb limit area.
I knew where I belonged.

Then I adopted zero carb. Carnivore eating. Meat/seafood/some cheese eating. I thrive here. I can also eat some extras every now and then like mushrooms with my steak, add some broccoli some days into my chicken with alfredo sauce, I can hoover down a bill old dill pickle if I am craving salty and sour taste. I never eat sugar processed products. My only carbs will come from limited veg.

Only time I go rogue is if I am in a drinking mood :) rarer now, I am getting older, near the 60s so I just don't drink as much, but I will hit up some diet pepsi and rum. Will every now and then have myself a beer fest :) So those things are tough to handle cause my body doesn't want them anymore and when I party out a bit I feel it intensely. Cause heck diet pepsi, and any alcohol is literally poison to the body and with my clean eating I can say I can feel my body not wanting the booze, but I want the buzz HAHA

On vacation I might lick my hubby's ice cream cone. I give myself a one bite/lick/spoonful rule on anything I eat. I pick and choose my bites carefully. I don't eat anything that is 'so/so' cause I gotta want it bad to give in and have some. I might take one bite of his crab cake while on vacay at a restaurant cause he says they are so good, but they have usually bread crumbs in them and I don't want darn bread crumbs but might take a taste cause he insists and I just give in and have a bite....makes HIM feel better LOL

I mean why would I want a crab cake bite when my meal ordered was kind crab legs and I am hounding down a ton of great crab anyway? Something about other's wanting you to take part in their joy of their food and wanting you to be a part of it? I don't know....haha

So my older meal plan was like this:
2 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon
tuna with mayo
3 chicken thighs with small side salad (limited veg in it, like no carrots etc. Just greens)
ranch dressing
2-3 slim jims and hunk of cheddar for a snack if wanted

Then the little salad I was eating seemed useless to me. I don't enjoy veg. Not really. Got a few I do like and switched to a steak and some little mushrooms, pork chops and asparagus. Then I realized the asparagus was bitter. Broccoli was kinda bitter. My taste was changing and I could easily find the nasty in veggies. So I dropped them more and more.

So now if wanted I might eat a veggie with a steak, but mostly never.

I then researched zero carb. Carnivore menu. OMG I FOUND MY CALLING in life LOL
I love meat. Meat hound to the max. I researched all about it. Why people do not need 1 carb in their life. Why you don't require this and that. Joined Zeroing in on Health facebook. Huge community of zero carb eaters. All the info ya ever need to know why you need nothing but meat and fat to survive. Learned all about deep ketosis and all the science behind what the body truly wants. Opened up my eyes big time.

Like anyone I want things every now and then so I made my rule of only 1 lick of ice cream if it is around me and I want it bad enough. Might eat a spoonful of my mom's famous mac and cheese :)

Being near zero carb daily I got: brain clarity, wonderful energy, natural body rhythms back, only 1 normal trip to bathroom per day and never any D or C with bathroom, lost 60 lbs and still losing a bit, body confirmation changed to leaner and meaner even with no weight loss, hunger control, little med troubles disappeared, no blood sugar soar and crash, sleep improved (need less now and feel better with less), blood pressure decrease, no sluggy feeling ever after eating and more :)

So I can't go back to the old me. The new me eating this way is fabulous.

My new way of eating is evolved now into more fasting than I ever thought I could handle in life, but because I am fed so well and not hungry ever, I can fast easily and naturally. never forced, I eat when I want and don't when I am not hungry so I get 1 or 2 meals per day as I want. Rare I might eat 3 meals after a big physical activity day like a full day of kayaking and swimming and hiking kinda thing.

Food now is if not hungry, drink beef broth in morning as other's drink coffee...I hate coffee :)
brunch time I might start to get hungry, usually like can of tuna and mayo, maybe a few leftover ribs, maybe just 3 slim jims and some chunk cheese. Dinner would be a 10 oz ribeye steak in garlic butter. Maybe a side of shrimp with it if wanted. A snack to me is like 6 slices of bacon, or some sausage patties, or shrimp dipped in some lc cocktail sauce.

So that is me :) How I got here. Took a lot of years to settle into the best place for my body. I experimented ALOT as other's have to do to make any eating plan enjoyable, long term and liveable and still get good results while doing it.

long post, sorry, I get so excited talking lc!

Maybe someone that is **** or Low Carb could mention their daily meal menu to give us an idea of what's in store. I can read from all the different sites and whatnot but it'd help with some real time info.

Example of typical day meal routine ---
Morning: Coffee with 2 tablespoons pure C8 MCT oil, 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter, 2-3 Truvia (stevia/erithrotol), generous teaspoon of FOS powder (blended in Magic Bullet).
Early daytime snack: Boiled egg w/generous salt... Or...an Avocado w/generous salt.   Diet Mountain Dew
Lunch: Jersey Mikes #4 as a tub (coldcuts/cheese with lettuce, tomatos, extra oil/vinegar, generous salt.)  Diet Pepsi
Dinner:  1 or 2 Johnsonville Beer Brats, steamed whole greenbeans smothered in sauteed onions with bacon fat/butter/olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar reduction.  No caffeine diet soda beverage
After dinner:  Low-carb cocktails or Michelob Ultra beer
Occasional late evening hunger:  BHB salts beverage mix in water
Anytime snacks - typically I choose one of the following depending on hunger: 1 to 3 slices of bacon, cheese slice, boiled egg, avocado
After bike ride recovery drink:  L-Leucine 3gms, L-Glutamine 5gms, Whey Protein 28gms, Truvia, in 8-10oz of Half-&-Half cream.  (some ride days I skip lunch because I'm just not hungry)

Of course my diet varies based on activity or if I'm away from home.  For example, this was what I actually ate yesterday while traveling/driving all day. 
Breakfast: I ate an I-Hop vegetarian omelette with added bacon/sausage/avocado with extra butter smothered on top (Yes, I know, a veggie omelette isn't veggie anymore when you add meat.  I just like my omelettes with all that good stuff on it... :D ), and two fork-fulls of hash browns smothered in butter (Ok, so sue me - I might indulge in occasional carbs :angel: ), and Coffee with Half&Half and Truvia.   Early snack: Half a medium bag of Spicy Pork Rinds (yum!).  Lunch: Carls Jr Super Star cheeseburger as a lettuce wrap (with mayo but no Ketchup).   Afternoon caffeine: Starbucks "Light" double espresso and cream shot (5gms carbs).  Several Diet Mountain Dews throughout the day.  Low-carb cocktail after I got home.

regis101 said:
Maybe someone that is **** or Low Carb could mention their daily meal menu to give us an idea of what's in store.  I can read from all the different sites and whatnot but it'd help with some real time info.
Bkfst - eggs, bacon or sausage or both, cheese, cooked in ghee and heavy whip cream in coffee.  For added taste to eggs, use peppers and onions.

Lunch - usually roast beef or chicken with cheese slices in a lettuce wrap or just wrapped in the sliced cheese  - add butter or mayo for added fat.  You'll have a delightful roll up.

Dinner - hamburger patty with cooked onion, cheese, cream cheese, slathered in butter; maybe a salad with homemade ranch (I use Uncle Dan's dry mix with homemade mayo made from MCT oil and full fat sour cream).

Other salads would be a BLT salad with mayo or a taco salad.  Avocados are great with lettuce.

Chicken is not a high fat meat, but I make chicken enchilladas and chicken alfredo without the tortillas or pasta.  For both sauces, use heavy whipping cream and full fat cream cheese as your base.  Spices are what makes the dish.

Yes, there are hidden carbs in dairy, any fruit/veggie. and even spices, so if you get stalled you need to look at those.

When I want to push hard toward ketosis, i tend to cut all dairy (except butter/ghee), focus on meats, especially red, and add coconut oil as tolerated.  It's hard to give up the heavy whip cream in my coffee.  Eggs are excellent and so yummy in butter!

Most folks don't understand the **** diet is NOT high protein. If you eat too much protein, it converts to carbohydrates in the body.  The ketogenic diet is high fat, mod protein, low to no carb.  Also if stalled, look at fat consumption.  To get **** adapted, you should be looking at about 85% calories coming from fats - good fats.

Bon appetit!

you had me laughing Doubleone :)

shoot me, I had 2 forkfuls of hash browns.....hey to me that is what a low carber does when that food is truly wanted....you have a bite or 2 and done. To me that is a winner attitude right there! I do the same thing, I gotta want it badly and I take a taste, not hoovering down giant portions of carbs like in my old life!

I get ya Chris Ann on gluconeogenesis.

but if you are an extreme low carb eater, as in less than 10 total carbs per day the conversion doesn't matter much if your protein eating grams are higher and it does convert....as in the few carbs it does make are used by the brain and thru activity and 'don't pile up'. They aren't chasing you out of ketosis and your body is using what little is produced.

if you are a higher lc eater, in that 50-60 range but still lc, then the amt of protein does make a difference to your body cause you are piling a bit more onto an already higher carb range. Then one can stall more easily. You wouldn't think gluconeogenesis matters much if you are an extreme lc'er and it doesn't, but if you are a 'mid range' but 'still low carber' it can effect a person.

I get ya on the chicken also being a lower fat meat....but one easy way is to eat the skin. I also only eat chicken if I bake it and pour the chicken grease over it a little to add some juicy back onto it. chicken, omg, while it is great for convenience to eat, I gotta say ain't a fav of mine anymore. Only chicken I handle now is chicken thighs with some fat poured back over it to eat or I sautee breasts in some oil and then pour yummy homemade alfredo sauce over it.