Lifepo4 package Powerwerx

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlock

Reaction score
I've been searching for a mobile, as in carry with, rather than mounted to, Lifepo4 12V pack with decent Amp Hours. Found this today;

50AH in battery case with USB, Powerpole connections and charger complete and can add solar easily, yes all just plug and play (as it were). Small and light enough to carry anyplace and can use 40AH's without issue, recharge anytime... seems like this might work.
https://powerwerx.com/pwrbox-portable-power-box-large-bioenno-batteries

Pricey at around $700. Wondering how it performs against the Goal Zero Yeti.

FWIW, I have GC-2 220AH with 400W solar in my Box Van.

Matlock said:
I've been searching for a mobile, as in carry with, rather than mounted to, 

Pricey at around $700. Wondering how it performs against the Goal Zero Yeti.

The Goal Zero Yeti 400 is similar at 400 watt hours.  It is $449.  However, it is AGM lead acid so actually less than the Powerwerx 30 amp hour lithium.  

In this size the 35 amp hour wheelchair battery, about $70, weighs 24 - 25 pounds.  Any product that contains one would be definitely portable.   I would hesitate to say "carry with, rather than mounted to" as walking or hiking any distance with that much weight would be much improved without the weight.  

The Powerwerx 30 ah battery alone is only 7.6 pounds.  That's much more carryable than 25.  The box with the charger and stuff might include stuff you might not want to carry.  The same size box fits bigger batteries.

I made up a couple of DIY portable power packs, and they are handy for powering things like laptops, phones, small 12v tire inflators, lights, and wifi hotspots away from your rig.

I also have a home made battery box. mine cost much less than 700 bucks but it has 2 sealed lead acid batteries. I will say this, Powerwerx has quality stuff and they always have treated me right. they are a few miles from my moms house so it's easy for me to will call stuff and save the shipping when I am in the area, which is often. highdesertranger

Thanks for the replies.
My reference to "mobile" is having a small system that is easily carried in a case over my shoulder, to use in a 2nd vehicle or park bench, to charge anywhere I get permission with 120V AC or connect a portable solar panel or suitcase panel set to a controller.
The one in the link above has all the bells I'd like on the battery case but it seems there is a slight problem with the AC charger they currently offer and it's a bit small, 6A charger for these batteries, I think that's what it said in the link.

I'm reading that the Battle Born needs a "specialized li-ion charging system that will deliver 25A"ideally for longer life but 50A will work, and their batteries perform best at 14.4 volts bulk and absorption charge for the 50AH 12V LifePo4 batteries, from their website.

I'd like to fab-up a mobile system myself if I found the right case and charger. Small and easy to carry is the goal and a nice backup if I have a bunch of cloudy days in a row.

Anyway, I really like that these batteries can be discharged and left that way. It is not an issue if they sit at 50% for days or weeks before you charge them. The 50AH is lightweight and could even fit in my duffle bag. Easy to charge at planet fitness when I'm using the showers or the occasional motel room. Denny's and Cracker Barrel are fine with me charging from a wall outlet.
A Front desk clerk might cringe if I dragged in some contraption on a 2 wheel dolly so smaller is more better. :cool:

Any thoughts on who makes a better charger that's physically a small to medium size and is adjustable?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.

the only problem I see with the powerwerx is it doesnt have a coulombmeter. All it has is a voltmeter which is not useful on a lifepo4. The lifepo4  battery always reads 13.1 volts between 20 and 80 percent of charge. I would be hesitant to use a lifepo4 without a coulombmeter because you never how much power you really have. You might think you fully charged the battery but it might be at 60 percent.

You can always just buy the lifepo4 battery (which has the BMS built-in)  and a 14.6 volt charger and make your own case with a columbmeter instead. The case in the ad has no electronics except the switches and voltmeter. All the electronics are inside the battery. Like you mention, you can easily make a case for the battery that is barely larger then the battery, it will easily fit in a backpack.

As far as getting a larger charger a fast charger will only charge it to about 80 percent before the BMS shuts it off. To get a full charge/ top off the battery you need to charge at even lower amps, like 2 amps or less, the battery stays in balance better when slow charged. Bienno has some 14.6 volt AC lifepo4 (CC/CV) charger that do 10 amps/20 amps and got powerpole connecters but they are on the larger size and have built-in fans. The quiet chargers will always be the lower amp models.

coulombmeter for lifepo4, counts amps going in/out of battery (cost about 25 dollars)
tk15 couloumb.jpg

Attachments

• tk15 couloumb.jpg
    tk15 couloumb.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6
Does the coulombmeter connect to the battery negative terminal or the shunt output terminal?
I use a shunt on my house GC-2 system w/Trimetric and that's why I'm asking.

Also, will a coulombmeter maintain memory if switched off?

Front Desk Clerks see many rolling cases come into their lobby.

From a practical standpoint, most motels that most of us would use (that are in a normal price range) don't require the guest to trolley all their possessions into the small lobby/office area. (Fancy and expensive hotels, in expensive urban areas, are a different animal)

At most motels, you pay at the office, but then go park near your room and carry your baggage in, or maybe up a flight of stairs and down a hallway.

Lots of people use 'pilot luggage' nowadays, so, rolling your bags down the hallway is nothing new.

That box seems the same as a plastic ammo box from Harbor Freight. Complete with handle. The outlet voltmeter panel is from Blue Sea. Such as Number 4366. Add a few more off the shelf conector things and you have it. Match a box to what battery you get.