Life At Kamp Koon………

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need to mention that yesterday received a call from my Dr Dermatologist moving my Mohs Procedure for skin cancer from 9 July up to 30 May. Yes! I said. That’s 6 weex less growth the cancer can grow b4 it’s gone.

Always want to get on the cancellation list. 👍🏼
intjonny

I have nothing to do 2day but waste some old age time. Warm & very humid now so no kampfire and massive storms predicted overnight.

IMG_2087.jpeg
Above & below: Reynard drops bye periodically checkin out the Kamp……
IMG_2089.jpeg

jonny boi

Memorial Weekend……..
Yesterday & today has been bring more logs 🪵 into Kamp for the kampfire.
IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg

Generally I don’t have a kampfire if temps will reach upper 70’s or higher during the day and with those temps getting more frequent, I won’t be burning as much wood. What I’ve amassed at this point should last well into fall.

intjonny

You could build a cabin out of those... :unsure:
😁 yeah I cut them in 12’ 4” length. Load them on the flat bed trailer and un load them at Kamp. Cut them in 4’ 1” length for stacking till needed. Then they’re cut in 16” length for splitting to burn. 🔥

All that work means the logs warm you twice... Once while working them and once while burning them....

We had more then we could use come down this year. So, I put an ad in free Facebook stuff and had 4-5 wives volunteer their husbands to come and get it... Did not have one husband volunteer himself.

Those logs I brought up are good kampfire wood. It’s all red & white oak. They been layin on the ground in the forest since about 25ish years ago when a major league derecho blew thru West Michigan. I get a free permit from the DNR and I can get all the dead wood to use for personal use.

jonny boi livin the dream

Last edited:
I put an ad in free Facebook stuff and had 4-5 wives volunteer their husbands to come and get it... Did not have one husband volunteer himself.
Like Big George used to say (part of my morning McD coffee bunch when I was 30 and living in my truck, and he was 70, rich and retired) "if it wasn't for women, we'd all be still living in caves"... well, I know I would...

So, I put an ad in free Facebook stuff and had 4-5 wives volunteer their husbands to come and get it... Did not have one husband volunteer himself.
…..and also did not have one woman show up and get it for herself. 😂.
Unlike most of the male gender I’ve refused all my life to be a slave to a female. 😎. I’ve always taken care of myself and any woman that has ever run with me better be able to take care of herself.
No room at Kamp Koon for slaves or parasites………
jonny boi jus sayin

Well I made it thru the 3 day holiday weekend with only 1 person pissin me off…….😁

Kamp Koon is on a designated scenic road near a designated scenic river so can get a decent amount of traffic on weekends: vacationers, tourists, campers, kayakers & tubers, etc.

Many of them driving drunk or high, raising hell, lettin loose etc driving like they’re still in rush hour traffic from where ever they’re from; tossing out litter, beer cans etc. Basic Murahkan AH’s.

Thanx to a cool & mostly rainy drizzly weekend, yeah, I had a more peaceful time than anticipated.

Always like crappy weekend weather. 😎
jonny boi

Kamp Koon is on a designated scenic road near a designated scenic river so can get a decent amount of traffic on weekends: vacationers, tourists, campers, kayakers & tubers, etc.

Many of them driving drunk or high, raising hell, lettin loose etc driving like they’re still in rush hour traffic from where ever they’re from; tossing out litter, beer cans etc.
It’s the ATV’s that I hate, up and down dirt and gravel roads, sometimes groups of them, throwing up dust and making so much racket one would think they were on the side of a busy freeway.

I think they’re the work of the devil. 😈

It’s the ATV’s that I hate, up and down dirt and gravel roads, sometimes groups of them, throwing up dust and making so much racket one would think they were on the side of a busy freeway.

I think they’re the work of the devil. 😈
ER Nurse:
“Help keep me in a job. Buy your kid an atv or a dirt bike.”

Buy your kid an atv or a dirt bike.”
I give the kids a pass... it's the 70 year olds who camp in 45ft land yachts who are bored shitless... out kicking up dust and making noise in their toys, that piss me off...

I can avoid the kids by camping too far from where they live. Can't avoid the old campers though, unless I drive for a couple hours on roads they can't, which is just annoying...

Today I'm going to write about what I call the "J" curve. It was going to happen sometime and since karma seems to have guided the thread to traffic & vehicles, etc, I'll roll with it today hence this post on The J Curve.

The J curve is a curve in the road about 1/4 mile north of Kamp Koon. Most road curves are circular curves having a consistent radius but the J curve is a spiral curve having a radius that changes as one drives along it.
Driving north, approaching from the south, one enters a fairly sharp curve and its visibly, to a driver, recognised as a sharp curve and hence one can slow accordingly, adjusting ones speed & braking as the curve is entered.

About halfway thru the J curve, one now recognised that it smooths out, becoming flatter and can increase speed before approaching the straightening road to the Northeast........

let me point out here that this curve is very well marked to SLOW DOWN - DANGEROUS CURVE- 25MPH MAXIMUM! Blah, blah.

When approaching said curve from the NE driving southerly, it appears to be a much flatter curve as one enters it, BUT! If one is travelling in excess of say 30 -35 mph you will rapidly realize you're travelling too fast as you enter the sharp hook, what i call the bottom of the J, as one realizes they are experiencing an OH SHIT! Moment.

At least a couple times a month someone leaves the roadway, goes thru the ditch, rolls over across the ditch, skids a hundred feet into the forest (if they manage to avoid trees) etc........ car, motorcycle, pick up, etc, doesnt matter. Over the years Ive seen them all fail to negotiate this curve and in the 10 ish years I've been bunkin up at Kamp Koon there have been 3 fatalities. The latest, about 6 weex ago just after my return.

Especially on weekends, too, it is regularly patrolled by both State Police & Sheriff but to no avail.
On the weekends when the non locals invade the area is always the worst as they seem to ignore the warnings and more than once while sitting by the kampfire I've heard the unmistakable sound of tires or brakes or gravel or shouts of someone that has been educated by the J Curve.

More to come
jonny boi

There are several of those in Eastern Kentucky, curves that get tighter after you initially enter and a few that are going down hill at the same time at the end of a long straightaway so you don’t see them until you are in them and a few that if you make it through immediately switch direction back the opposite way with a ledge on both sides of the curve. You are actually even with the tree tops of very large trees growing up from the valleys below the ledges. Had several of my high school friends die there, hence we borrowed the name “deadman’s curve” from the song of the time. Eventually it got straightened out a little but it was a big project as there was an abandoned railroad tunnel below the short section where the curves connected. When learning to drive there I always reminded myself when in Kentucky curves always seem to get tighter the further you get into them. When ABS brakes first came out in cars people pumped the brake petal when the petal went to the floor instead of holding constant pressure on the petal causing a delay in actual braking causing them to fly off the road into the valley below. Guard rails don’t help much when you are in the air above them. My parents house was a mile away and I would open up my exhaust cutouts coming home going through that curve the opposite direction late nights after racing my friends so my mom would know I survived another weekend. Sorry for the long post just your subject brought back some memories.

Last edited:
We live on a curve that up until 3-4 yrs ago we could count on someone going off the road into a ditch on one side or the other several times a summer, usually just messed up their cars, only one real injury. but still a nasty curve for school kids to deal with when catching the bus. The road crews finally did something and put up tons of those BIG yellow arrow signs and that seems to slow people down. I got to call 911 five or 6 times, but now not so much. Just an occasional hot-roder.

Kamp Koon also lies in between 2 major East/West deer run hiways- 1 north & 1 south and every once in awhile a car deer collision occurs. IMG_1041.jpeg
Above deer killed in a collision with part of the car and black spot in pavement is where the car caught fire and burnt to a metal shell. About 150 yards from Kamp Koon drive.

jonny

Pretty exciting spot there, Johnny... Man, I see lots of deer getting hit and killed, but never the car burning to the ground!