LED Lighting Questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Ok I am trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.  This post may be a bit long winded so just bear with me but I need to give you the background so you can maybe understand what I am trying to do.

I live in an RV that is always on shore power (unless the Elect. Co has a rare power outage) so no real worry about battery power.

All of the lights in this RV are 1156/1141 (which to me are inadequate) -

Even if I turn on every light it still seems too dark in here.

So the other day in my bed area I took a strand of LED curtain lights like these

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Concepts-300-LED-Curtain-Lighting/dp/B01KGDWDP0

I encased each hanging strand in a clear half sphere and put a white foam board backing on it.... in essence what this gave me was 16 light bulbs on a string which I flush mounted in my bed alcove.  To give you a better idea of how it worked .... think custom track lighting.

This works so well that I would like to do it through the whole RV my only problem is I don't want all of the plug in lighting... I would like this to work with the existing switched and sockets.  I think I have a lot of it figured out I am just not sure if it will work electrically speaking.

I've figured out how to bypass the multi function so they are steady on

Now what I would like to do is remove the plug and wire it to a BA15s base adapter for LED like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-PCS-1156...r-LED-Light-Connector-1093-1141-/261594504248

This would allow me to plug a strand into the existing light sockets.  I could leave the control box which would leave all of the led resistors and such in place. All of the specks I can find on the lights just says low voltage...even the set I have has no volts watts or amps listed on it.  I did find one listing for a similar set of lights that stated 29v but that is the most info I can get on the electric draw. If that is too much I could use smaller light string

So my question is... is this feasible ......even with some adaption on the theme.  I have used the LED 1156 bulbs in the existing sockets but I actually want more lights, spread out more.

First, I'd make sure you're using 5k LEDs. Those are the "daylight balanced" versions which make white/blue light vs the typical yellow interior 3.5k lighting. Makes a pretty huge difference in perceived brightness. Especially in small spaces.

No you can't do exactly what you explained......the plug in string lights are wired to operate on 120 volts.........the 1156 bulbs operate on 12 volts

You can change over to 12 volt LED lights wired to the 1156 bases and still use the existing controls..........either purchasing replacement  LED bulbs or wiring/fabricating your own from raw LED strips that fit into your existing fixtures 

Here are some LED's that can be fabricated and operate on 12 volt................

http://www.lightinthebox.com/led-li...f-ip44-white-light-dc12v-5m-lot_p4568417.html

doug

Gideon33w said:
First, I'd make sure you're using 5k LEDs. Those are the "daylight balanced" versions which make white/blue light vs the typical yellow interior 3.5k lighting. Makes a pretty huge difference in perceived brightness. Especially in small spaces.

thanks for the reply and I understand about the color differences..... I did a whole post about it here..... I actually want additional lights in more places than they are now.   I'm pretty sure I can make this work.... I'm just not to sure if I will be drawing too much through that socket.

I have some white stands ordered.... when they arrive.... I will sacrifice this warm white set I have up now to play with them ... I was just trying to get some input beforehand

abnorm said:
No you can't do exactly what you explained......the plug in string lights are wired to operate on 120 volts.........the 1156 bulbs operate on 12 volts

doug

Thanks Doug

That is what I needed to know..... I know that my 1156's are always running on 120v but there is an inverter involved in that equation too.  which converts that 120v to 12v.  I know most LED's are DC currant so I was trying to see if the string could be converted because I really don't want those LED light strips....

I wanted it more fluid like this

bedlighs.jpg