Leaving WA state, must choose residency

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IGBT

Reaction score
Next year we sell all and set off in our camper. We are residents of Washington state, which isn't horrible as far as income tax (none) and vehicle registration.

We are probably going to be all over the place. Great lakes in the summer, Alaska one summer, southwest in the winter, Florida in the winter.

Should we be in a hurry to nail down a new state to declare residency or ? I am seriously considering Florida as I am really looking forward to spending some time near the ocean there. Much warmer water than here in Seattle.

Alaska has potential, especially with the oil permafund check, but we are only going to spend about 1.5 years up there and likely would not even qualify for the check.

What would you do? Stick with Washington, go with Florida, Alaska, Texas, ? We need to figure out mail forwarding for Washington if we keep this state. It does not seem to be one of the big three for rubber tramps (Florida, Texas, SD)...

One of the members here just established residency in S. Dakota, doesn't seem there was much hassle.

You may want to check with The Escapees, they offer everything someone to establish a Texas residency. I joined for the mail forwarding, I'm already a resident.

Good Luck in your search and in your travels.

Bob J.

Another item to consider is insurance -- medical, dental, car. Compare costs and services across states. And for medical/dental, make sure you can get full services outside of your state of residence.

Please let us know what you find out. I'll be interested.

bob should chime in about the Alaskan residency but I don't think you have to be there all year to qualify for the check. if Washington is good why don't you just keep your residency there and get mail forwarding? highdesertranger

Because so many people want the Permanent Fund Dividend, Alaska is very strict about residency. You must be there over 6 months a year. And even if you are, they will fight you. I speak from experience as a 45 year Alaska Resident.

To me one of the key factors is to be close to the circle of your travel. I chose Nevada because it has no income tax and other than my summer trips I am always very near to it. But since you pan to travel so much, that kind of goes out the window.

If I were you, I would go with South Dakota.
Bob

I'm on several prescription meds, for which my doctors expect to see me occasionally. I need to go back to my home state at least once a year for that, plus it will let me see several family members.

Do you like your doctor and want to keep him? If so, might as well keep WA residency.

Regards
John

Thanks for the replies. South Dakota would be my choice too except I have read elsewhere that the healthcare exchange plans there are not supportive of RV types. If you don't have a permanent address there, the insurance companies with wide out of state networks will drop you.

I have not researched Washington state for this yet but I do know that Texas and Florida are considered the best to obtain exchange healthcare plans for rv types who roam (I think Blue Cross Blue Options).

Why not to use SD because of healthcare.

IGBT said:
We need to figure out mail forwarding for Washington if we keep this state. It does not seem to be one of the big three for rubber tramps (Florida, Texas, SD)...

Check close to the coast for mail forwarding services.

When I had a domicile in Florida the mail forwarding company I used had first been set up to handle full time marine customers, then they branched out to full-time RVr's. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find full time boat people somewhere on that beautiful coastline.

If you're happy with WA for tax and med insurance, I'd start there for solving the mail issues before dealing with moving everything to another state.

I guess I am missing something.

- No income tax in WA.
- You have an infrastructure there (banks, retirement funds, auto-tags, businesses, doctors, dentists, mechanic, tax accountants for example)
- You'll be traveling through there ( to AK, at least)
- You know the logistics of dealing there, like the back of your hand.
- You have friends there? Family too? People that can HELP with those logistics, as needed, while you are gone.

Why are you considering changing residency?

I chose to keep my WA residency for many of the reasons stated above. My drivers license and concealed carry permit are both good until 2018, I have a limited income senior pass for WA state parks and last [but far from least] most of my family members are there. One downside: The sales tax on my new Tiger was horrendous. But it's not something I have to pay more than once.

Order via amazon. Pray you get no sales tax collected

Bob
I am about to buy a Born Free 24' diesel. I wanted to maintain my WA residency because I "plan on", eventually, getting a stix-n-brix here sometime in the distant future. My issue is the physical address needed if I renew my license or title my RV. I read that blog on residency, but it was written in 2016, so it seems a little dated. I plan on using my condo address for now, since I just sold it 8-10-21, to title the RV. I am concerned about future renewals and the "enhanced" DL need for proof of a physical residency. Any suggestions? Thank you.

If you plan to return I would keep the WA residency.

There used to be mail services in WA that would give you the physical address. They will forward your mail for a fee. If you are on medicare it works anywhere in the US. Purchased add on plans you would have to check out which ones work for travel.

So far this year I paid $200 for a deductible and $50 copay on a couple thousand dollars worth of eye exams. Pretty cheap but then I am still healthy. If my health deteriorates someday, I will buy the more expensive insurance that covers everything. Medicare does penalize you with a higher rate later when you buy more insurance but it does not add up to what you would have spent on insurance payments while still healthy. You can also buy death insurance that will help your family pay for your final illness hospital bills if there are any.

I also spend more on healthy food and living in a place with options to exercise (diet and exercise). YMMV.
-crofter

I would stick with residency in WA state until you decide on a long term home base. There are lots of mail forwarding services in the towns along Puget sound that have good sized marinas. Makes it easy to get license plate tabs sent to you.

I lived in Lacey/Olympi, WA for a couple of years working at the army post there, then moved to Honduras for a couple of years.  I used the UPS store in Lacey even after I moved.  They were great about forwarding my mail (for a fee) and no state income tax simplified my taxes while living out of the country.  Don't know if they are still there or not, changed my permanent address to AZ when I moved here in 2013.

Thank you all for the responses.
I have already paid for 13 mo of postal forwarding service with a suite address in Vancouver, WA. When I commented on the physical address use, the postal guy corrected me and informed me that the DOL will not accept postal service addresses due to 9-11. So far the "best" answer I have been given by NON-RVers is to keep my old physical address and just renew online. I was hoping you wizened souls could inform me of what I have missed in my reading. You know... Hope springs eternal? :)