Leaving Santa Barbara, frustrated with Silicon Valley "no sleeping in vehicles" rules

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
Hey folks. I left my camp host gig in Santa Barbara on Wednesday. I headed north with no particular destination.

The first day was fun. I felt free on the road again. I bought a new house battery and did some very overdue laundry. My first night I slept alongside Highway 1 in Big Sur. The next night I slept in a Wal-Mart parking lot in Salinas. The signs said no overnight parking, but there were several of us and no one bothered me.

Night three I take advise from locals and check out Davenport. I was told it was an rv friendly town. It most certainly is not. Every block has no parking signs and the locals confirmed that I was not welcome to stay unless I had a lot of money ($13 cheeseburger anyone?).

I move on and try my luck that night in a State Park, alongside the road. Again a asked a local who suggested that it would be fine. He was wrong. About midnight a Ranger, who looked about 19 years old, woke me up and kicked me out. He was very kind and did not hassle me or write a ticket.

That night I found a spot in a nearby town. It was an auto parts store/repair shop with a few (unoccupied) RVs already parked there. I felt I'd blend right in. My mistake in the State Park was standing out. There were no other vehicles parked in the area. Stupid, amateur mistake. [emoji16]

Now it's day four, and I'm checking parking regulations in the cities around here. Seems like this whole area is a "no vandweller zone."

Honestly folks, I'm at a loss for what to do. I want to visit the parks and cities here, but it seems my mere existence (unless I assimilate and start paying for the right to sleep) has been made illegal.

Maybe this is just a place I have to let go of, for now, and move on to a more vandweller friendly area. I want to see Oregon and Washington.

I'd like some help. Any suggestions parking around San Jose region? Any recommended routes to get out of here and up into Oregon without facing miles of this anti vandweller regulation?

Screenshot_2015-08-08-16-32-10.pngOn my Walmart app it shows a few Walmarts along highway 5 that allow overnighters.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-08-16-32-10.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-08-16-32-10.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
There are areas north of Santa Cruz along highway 1 that have no 'No overnight parking' signs that I stayed for 10+ days last fall without issue.

I liked the one just up the hill north of Scott Creek as I still got cell phone coverage there, and could back in and be farther from the road noise. I was never alone there. Lots of car/van/rv campers stay there, at least in the Fall.

Scott Creek had one heck of a fun wave too!
IMG_3193copy_zps6b2bb0b9.jpg

There are state rest stops that are safe with bathrooms if you chose to go up 5.

First check out where the fires are before you go on any route through N CA.  They are just about done with one in my old stomping ground.  110 square miles of wilderness gone.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_current

SternWake said:
There are areas north of Santa Cruz along highway 1 that have no 'No overnight parking' signs that I stayed for 10+ days last fall without issue.

I wondered what the deal was when I drove that way earlier this year. I saw RVs parked here and there and couldn't tell if they were just there for day use or not. And if they were camping there, did they ever leave? What would be my chances of snagging a spot? Next time I'm over there I'll have to check it out more closely.

Santa Monica has changed their laws and allow sleeping in vehicles. Plenty of curbside parking here. Just watch the signs.
We spoke to a parking enforcement officer and have been here3 nights in a nice quiet neighborhood without a problem.

I see van dwellers parked on the streets of San Jose all the time. In the neighborhood around my old job, the same vans park all day and all night in the same spots for weeks on end. RV's, campers, vans, SUV's. The van dwellers are easy to spot, so I know that's what I'm seeing and not just a van on the side of the road.
The RV's and campers are even easier to recognize as you can see the lights through the windows. Some of the vans are pretty ratty too, and even they park in the same places each night.

If you're going to be anywhere near the San Jose airport, I can give you the name of a street where you'll never get hassled. Only problem is, the van dwellers there are a bit on the shiftless, homeless side of the "fence". There's a homeless encampment, or two (or four), just down the street and the vans I've seen are filthy inside and out. They're not the clean, well-appointed rigs you read about here. Also, a coworker had all his batteries taken from his coach when he left it unattended overnight for a few days.

As for rest areas, the only one along Interstate 280 that allows sleeping and has full bathrooms, is the one just north of Highway 92.

ah the nimby syndrome. they preach tolerance, just don't try it where they live. highdesertranger

jl75 said:
On my Walmart app it shows a few Walmarts along highway 5 that allow overnighters.

On I - 5 is a Walmart

that allows overnight parking. Woodburn ore. also you can see it from the freeway also allows overnight parking.  When I look for a place to park for  the night 
I always look in  the industrial  area never had a problem. 

s

State rest stops.  Good over night parking with bathrooms and vending machines.  Just try to stay away from the big rigs. Some run their engines all night.

There must be some compelling reason why a van dweller would opt to live in CA. It is both expensive and restrictive.

When me and Vic were up that way a few times we had trouble finding a boondocking spot.Not so much in Or. and Wa.Saw where the Lt.Gov.,Newsome is pushing through a major gun control bill.

I spent about 6 months in San Francisco and it was great - excellent cheap burritos, mild weather, lots to do. The main technique there seems to be to park on the street in a low-mid rent area and not answer if there is a knock. The police put a notice on your windshield and you have 3 days to move a block. Just keep an eye for signs telling you when "normal" parking is allowed and don't park where there are no sleeping in vehicle signs cause that means the residents there don't like us and will bug you.

I mostly found places where nobody cared enough to call the cops such as across the street from apartment complexes. I was in a van but saw a couple of RVs doing the same thing.

I actually prefer streets to parking lots. In lots you get extra noise from people loitering, doors slamming next to you, stereos blasting.

Actually, I've found boondocking in CA very easy. The Sierras are full of great spots at enough elevation to be cool all summer. The whole length of 395 is fabulous! The desert from Vitorville across to AZ has great camping including Slabs, Holtville, Anza Borrego and Blythe.

I know several vandwellers who stay as CA residents because of their exceptional social safety network--you'll do better than than nearly anywhere else.

The main reason not to stay is the cost of gas and that's tough to swallow. A solution is to camp near to the border near AZ or Nevada. Two good places are near Winterhaven, Blythe or Needles right on the border with tons of BLM land around on both sides.
Bob

Reducto said:
I mostly found places where nobody cared enough to call the cops such as across the street from apartment complexes. I was in a van but saw a couple of RVs doing the same thing.

I actually prefer streets to parking lots. In lots you get extra noise from people loitering, doors slamming next to you, stereos blasting.

On the street near large apt. complexes is what I normally do too, and problems are very rare.

What is " social safety network--"  ?

Off Grid 24/7 said:
On the street near large apt. complexes is what I normally do too, and problems are very rare.

Where do U go for Nature's call ?

How much do U use lights inside after dark ?
Thanks

bindi&us said:
I think Calif has a law about idling. They have a law for everything else.

calif does have laws about idling but they have no money to enforce them. I see pre emissions rucks running around all of the time and i'm talking from 1999 :rolleyes: . I think carb needs to be closed down or atleast the truckers should atleast lock them in and turn off there AC whiles it's 110 out and see how they like it!! along with the many other states that have followed the commies and have there own idling laws. I belive that CO will put you in jail for idling though I have never heard of it happening.