leaving maine...finally!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonnieE350van

Reaction score
actually left Maine 2 days ago...
didn't get everything done  on the cabin but that's the way it goes...
now I'm on the road headed back to Texas and warmer temps. just need to get past
the cold temps. along the way...
this trip just feels weird, I think because I've been stationary for the last 6 months...and
I'm not being bombarded by verbal abuse any more...what a relief...

Boorn. N raised Mainiac heyahh..
But I haven't been back since 2013...
Plan to spend the month of August and possibly a good portion of July there.
We. Should. Chart!!! PM  me if you wan to connect !!!

I hear you about getting past the cold. I am leaving Massachusetts next week and it is freezing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kia girl said:
I hear you about getting past the cold.  I am leaving Massachusetts next week and it is freezing here.

are ya really? wow that's so cool. with your travel 'intended' lil buddy? or solo. It's frkn freeezin heya!  :rolleyes:

edit to say.."it's below frkn freeezin heya"

Nope I will be alone. My dog is to strong for me to take with me. Husband has to pay for all this so it is just me. I have a few heaters so I am not to worried. I have the Mr. Buddy plus and electric one with a generator. Now only if I can figure the generator out before I leave it will be all good, lol.

Just got word from Bonnie she will be traveling through here in a couple of days! How freaking lucky is that that we get to have another little mini vdr here. This is the greatest life ever! I get to tell Gunny in the morning!

JustACarSoFar said:
are ya really? wow that's so cool. with your travel 'intended' lil buddy? or solo. It's frkn freeezin heya!  :rolleyes:

edit to say.."it's below frkn freeezin heya"

Forgot to hit the reply button, sorry

Cammalu said:
Just got word from Bonnie she will be traveling through here in a couple of days!  How freaking lucky is that that we get to have another little mini vdr here.  This is the greatest life ever!  I get to tell Gunny in the morning!

mannnn.... u have ALL the fun!  :mad:

All you lucky people leaving New England. I'm so jealous.

I'll be leaving Maine next week, sometime. Was aiming for Wed, but looks like it's going to be a little longer. Vehicle's pretty fine, it's the other stuff here.

one more day and I'll be back in Texas...this has been a looong trip...seems like it's taking longer than usual, or maybe I'm just anxious to get back on home ground...once I get back I have no plan on what to next...there are things that need to be done to the van and I need to
purge some stuff from storage but the weather may not be very cooperative and the holidays are right around the corner and I want to go somewhere different and...and...
I know I DIDN'T make a mistake by leaving Maine but now I have to get used to being by myself again...at least I don't have to listen to
someone complaining about the way I do things...I'll figure this out, I've done it before...

Ah Bonnie, won't take but a few days and you'll be back in the swing of things. We leave Azle probably Thursday then down to Austin where John will be doing another solar build. I think we are headed slowly back east soon after because I have my last new knee appointment. I'll visit family in Kentucky then start migrating west. Where in the west is up to John, I don't care where I go really as long as I have my little "house" I'm always at home. It still looks like Baja for the entire month of February though.

bonnieE350van said:
one more day and I'll be back in Texas...this has been a looong trip...seems like it's taking longer than usual, or maybe I'm just anxious to get back on home ground...once I get back I have no plan on what to next...there are things that need to be done to the van and I need to
purge some stuff from storage but the weather may not be very cooperative and the holidays are right around the corner and I want to go somewhere different and...and...
I know I DIDN'T make a mistake by leaving Maine but now I have to get used to being by myself again...at least I don't have to listen to
someone complaining about the way I do things...I'll figure this out, I've done it before...

Sister....you are A POWER OF EXAMPLE!!!!
Courage is what you have displayed to all of those peeps who are in fear of taking that step...you shared your fears and over came them....
And YES as I have know and experienced time and again...The Universe provides..!!!
As long as you know in your heart ..everything will fall in place..
Thank You so much for sharing your journey !!!
And keep us posted...YOU ROCK SISTAR!!!!!
S

hey all!! sorry I haven't posted of late...hard to do with no internet...hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. mine was quiet, just me, myself, and I...we had a great time...didn't have to cook for a crowd although I do like doing that, but not in the mood this time...
currently in Denison TX. or I should say just across from there on the OK side of Lake Texoma... have extended my stay for another week at the Corp. of engineers park that is still open...one night at the state park nearby, one night in a motel then back to the Corp. park till about the 15th...
want to spend Christmas either along the gulf coast of TX or in Pineywoods of East Texas... will depend on campsite availability and what finances look like...there are parks that have weekly and monthly rates during the off season(November through February) so I'll be looking at them...
still have things to do at the storage unit and a van to reorganize...now I have to find another 2 burner camp stove, mine bit the dust after 4 years...doesn't help when it gets left out in the rains in Maine...the rust appeared more quickly while I was there...until I find the one I want I can cook on the single burner hot plate and over the firepits if there are no burn bans in effect...so it's all good for now... Peace and Blessings to all this holiday season...will try to do better at keeping folks updated about my adventures...

Justicenw98 said:
We're from the county. Presque isle

You are much further north from where I was in Maine...but I have heard of Presque Isle...what's the weather doing up your way now...
last I heard was it was staying cold but there was no snow YET...

It's Monday and I've left the COE campground for a state park campsite just across the lake/dam/river on the TX side...
the COE had electric but no water available to the sites...luckily the one faucet that was running was a short distance from my site, so I had water as long as I was willing to walk across the road to get to it...a lot of WORK, lol
stayed a week then extended for a second week...3 days before I was to leave as the 14 day limit was near, a young buck park ranger
sees my cooler chained to the table and the site occupied sign wrapped around the electric box and removes them from the sight while I was gone for the day...when I went to the office to report/retrieve my stuff, I'm told that the sites are first come, first serve and I could not save the site...I informed him that I had paid for the site and showed him the ticket, he then says that I should have a tent on the site to show that it is indeed occupied, which I politely told him I didn't have a tent as I was living out of the van, that my tent had been compromised by a previous storm at another location...he had no suggestion for me.  one of the other campers had a small pup-tent he let me borrow as I would be gone again the better part of the next day...I then went to town and bought a small tent to have on hand if the situation were to arise again...
but after putting my own tent up and leaving for yet another all day affair, I returned to find that the new tent I had bought was totally collapsed in on itself from the strong breeze that was blowing...I took it down, put it back in the box as best I could, and returned it this A.M.  At the state park where I am now, I don't need no stinkin' tent to show that the sight is occupied,we have tags that hang on posts for that purpose...and I am allowed to chain my cooler to the table for added evidence... so take that COE!!! guess I'll be looking at spending a night or two in the Walmart parking lot til I'm ready to leave this part of TX for points further south...

bonnieE350van said:
It's Monday and I've left the COE campground for a state park campsite just across the lake/dam/river on the TX side...

BonnieE350van, not all COE parks on Texoma are like the one you just left.  Through the winter months, Caney Creek does not have a 14 day stay limit.  You can stay for $6/day with electricity until March.  Yes, the water is turned off except for one spigot and the flush toilets w/showers are closed for the season. Caney Creek is 6 miles south of Kingston on a god-awful road that ensures a quiet, peaceful campground.  I drove down there a couple of days ago to check on the regulars.  There's a man from Montana that spends the winter at Caney and has for several years.  The campground host is the best.  He's friendly and helpful and just a great guy.  There's no stay limit at Johnson Creek either.  Johnson Creek is just off Hwy 70 between Durant and Kingston, but Johnson Creek is where the campground hosts of closed campgrounds overwinter so there are very few sites available and as you can guess they are not the best sites.  If you're not tied to the Denison area, a few days ago we camped at a COE park on Hugo Lake.  The sign at the iron ranger said the camping is free until March.  We had electricity and water with our free campsite.  Hugo Lake is about 10 miles east of Hugo and about 60 miles east of Durant.  Hope this helps.

will be staying in the Denison area probably till January as money is too tight to travel far...besides I have a lot more stuff that needs to be done with my storage unit that I just don't have the motivation to get done...
looked at going down to the gulf coast for Christmas but then I heard from some folks at church this past sunday that Corpus Christi and the surrounding area had gotten 2 inches of snow, which is highly unusual for that part of texas...now I'm not sure which direction to go...with no money for gas I guess I'll just plant myself where I'm at until further notice...HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!!!