Learning curve to drive van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Life

Reaction score
I've tried to find more info in other posts; please refer me if you know of some that apply. Here's my big question right now:
Can I learn to drive a van? Especially one with no back or side rear windows? Of course, people do learn to do that and even much bigger rigs. But I've never driven a vehicle that I couldn't see out of all the way around like in a car or mini van. And, mostly, I've driven small cars like Civic or Yaris.
Someone on the forum said "you don't need windows" and I understand about the insulation requirement (in some climates) if have windows. But how the heck do you get used to driving "blind"? Just practice in a safe place? Is there a trick?
Is it easier than I think? I do not plan on driving in big cities. But I don't want to be scared of blind spots all the time.
I really want a high top cargo van (probably a Promaster) but it's expensive to get one w/ windows or to have them added. I don't think I could add them myself. Also, can you add them in all the way around? I've only seen them on very rear door and just behind driver and passenger, leaving a huge solid section. So, expensive plus not really what I think I need and want.
Obviously, I'm very green with all this so any help/advice would be very much appreciated.
I have already gotten such great info here! I know that experience on the road is the best teacher but I'll start out in good shape because of all I've learned on this site!

Definitely can be learned, not rocket science, millions do it every day.

Start out in big parking lots with cones, maybe even 20+ hours, parking, turning circle, **not** cutting corners.

Then hitting public roads, places and at times where traffic is super light, so being cautious and slow won't get you shot. Get into corporate parks on weekends, shopping malls at night etc.

Obviously better when possible with an experienced friend / teacher.

Ideally with one in another vehicle and comms between, so you can get used to the finer points of visibility & blind spots when passing/passed, dealing with all the different intersection types.

Work your way up to full-on rush hour traffic, dense cities, bridges & tunnels etc

until you are relaxed and confident, before actually hitting the road.

It's mostly about using your side mirrors and actually registering what you see -- and CAN'T see.

Yes. Good side mirrors and learning to use those.

Dual flat/convex mirrors help a lot. Backup cam is almost essential if you don't have an assistant.

Never be in a hurry. Don't give a damn about others trying to rush you. Watch everywhere you can, including the side mirrors when turning near obstacles.

If it's a high roof, don't forget that you can't go everywhere most others can. A sticky note in the window with your required clearance wouldn't hurt.

Hardest thing for me in any new-to-me vehicle is learning where the front of the thing actually is - I'm short! You'd think it would be easier in a short-nose van, but it isn't. I still can't actually see over the hood.

And double-plus on the side mirrors. You must learn how to use them effectively! And if you have been in the habit of zipping in and out of traffic, as many small car owners do - well, you're gonna have to quit that, at least for a while. Think ahead, pick your lane and stay there, even if the idiot in front of you is going ten miles too slow.

When you get your van, take a couple hours at your earliest convenience, and drive around the biggest mall parking lot you can find. Park, unpark, turn, etc.

And when I'm parking in a lot, I do my best to find a slot where I can drive through to the slot in front of me. It's OK if your rear end hangs a foot or two over the line in back. Still plenty of room for a small car to park behind you. And you can drive forward into traffic when you leave.

Quit worrying about it and temporarily cover the rear windows in your car and practice it that way.

As others have said:
Learn to use mirrors - it’s not bad once you do it, you will naturally be more cautious.

The worst part is if you have no side window on middle passenger door - this becomes difficult when merging into another road that intersects at 45 degrees!!!

You will learn to not put yourself in those situations. You will have to turn the van perpendicular to be able to see out passenger window.

Practice makes perfect!
And take your time, don’t let others force you to take chances!
I’d rather listen to someone honking at me because I’m overly cautious than hitting another car because of carelessness.

You’ll get it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah, I learned to drive in am MG Midget. After that, everything seemed like an 18-wheeler. ;)

But after a while you get used to it.

just "driving" wont even remotely be an issue for you. but when it comes to lane changes parking and such it will ake some practice and you need to be more "defensive" assume there IS something in your blind spot till you can prove there isnt. good side morrors properly adjusted can get rid of most blind spots.

drive safe and if in doubt go around. if you need to merge into the right lane but can be sure it is safe. keep going till you can even if that means missing your exit. you can always come back.

as far as parking and backing up. lots of practice and dont be afraid to get out of your rig and walk around to see how close you are. in time you will "learn" where your car is based on what you can see from the drivers seat and you will get better at judging distance

people in there 50s+ go to truck driving school all the time and graduate with a truckers license in as little as 6 weeks. it is often the person that never drove anything biger than a compact car that learns the fastest. they dont have macho preconsived ideas they need to unlearn

If learning to drive a van is anything remotely like learning to ride a motorcycle, the most important thing I could add is practice the odd stuff.
Find a parking lot and if possible cones, and park, parallel park, back up and turn, back up in and out of parking spots, practice reducing radius turns like you would when pulling in to a gas station etc... It's those things that we don't do often that cause accidents.
Driving straight and changing lanes won't be a problem... It'll be those other items.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

with the proper mirrors and practice you will get it. the proper mirrors mean no blind spots. highdesertranger

In my opinion the safest action to take on the road is increased following distance. I learned that whats behind is less important than where you are in the lane and whats beside you. I learned that if you center the lane close to directly below your seat maybe where your right leg is as it centers you better in the lane, that worked for me, I used to drive on the left part of your lane more than necessary by default.  Be mindful of blind spots and signal ahead of lane change move over slowly at first. I have gotten a honk on occasion from a vehicle I didn't see even in a car. Then Mirror types like towing mirrors often have a second convex mirror that helps with whats close beside you. I would practice as others mentioned until you feel safe and confident to be traveling.

As usual, I basically disagree with most of the previous comments, LOL. I've been driving my van for a year now, GMC Savana with "both" side door and rear door windows, and there are still ENORMOUS blind spots with this thing. I am constantly amazed at the difference in rearward visibility between the van and my regular SUV (and with a regular pickup truck too).

The bad areas are easy to identify. No matter what, you just do not have full 180-degree coverage around the back of the vehicle. If you are in a parking space and backing out, it's difficult to see a car that is coming from the right side and perpendicular to your direction of backward travel. Many times, while I am backing up at 1 MPH, some car will come flying up through the parking lot and pass behind me while I am checking all the mirrors.

Likewise in cities and on multi-lane freeways, people will be passing you on the right all the time, and doing so so rapidly, that they can become a hazard while you are checking your mirrors. Especially in California. Changing lanes to the right must always be done with extreme care.

For best safety, I would have both a blind-spot camera and a rear-view camera that's turned on 100% of the time if I bought a van.

When all your practice, patience, and caution lets you down, there's always insurance.

Keep an adequate amount of it for that really bad day.

Add the stick on convex mirrors to BOTH outside side mirrors and have someone help you adjust them until you can see right down each side of the van when you're sitting in the drivers' seat in your normal driving position.

If the side mirrors are adjusted properly then there is NO blind spot on either side of the van. It's only if you don't have those 2 convex mirrors or if the mirrors aren't adjusted properly that you can lose a school bus in the blind spot.

After that, it's practice, practice, practice.

And yes, after a really nice lady tried to squeeze past me while I was backing out of a parking spot and didn't quite clear the area in time, I make it a strict policy to never, ever pull face in to a parking spot. I either back in or I get a spot further out in the parking lot where I can drive through and pull out of a spot.

Me, I'm afraid to drive one of those little wee cars. I've been driving vans and RVs' for so many years that those little things scare the shit out of me... :D

Get hired as a Package Car Driver for UPS, I did that in my youth for many years.

First thing the teach is never park nose in first. Ideally only drive through, but if you must, then back in, so you're pulling out forward, never backing out.

Believe me, being self-insured they crunch the numbers like crazy. . .

Gosh, you guys, your tips are gonna be soooo helpful. I'm gonna read them over a few times, maybe even print them out! LOL
Every single one of you gave me something I needed. Thank you all so much. I believe I can do this now.
BTW, I love that saying, "Worry is a misuse of imagination!" because that's exactly what worry is, it is imagining bad stuff, bad results. Why not imagine good results (while taking steps to avoid bad ones, of course).

QinReno said:
GMC Savana 
I have a Savana too, and it is indeed blind as a bat to the rear--especially with no rear windows. One reason why I always pull into a parking spot that I can pull out of, so I never have to back it up.  :)

Almost There said:
Me, I'm afraid to drive one of those little wee cars. I've been driving vans and RVs' for so many years that those little things scare the shit out of me... :D

I always assumed that if I'd ever smashed up my MG, they'd have to bury me in it, since they'd never be able to separate us.   :angel: