Lazy way Van A/C fix The bad, the good and the bad.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
My 06 Chevy Express 2500 A/C quit working about a month ago.  It may not have been cooling as well as should but with temps in North Florida down to the high 80's  I did not notice until it quit totally.

The first thing I did was grab a kind of rusty can of R134 and my fill hose.
This is where I got too lazy.  I should have removed 1 screw and moved the radiator overflow tank out my way.  I could barely get the fill hose down to the low side port and struggled getting it connected at the angle  I could reach.

Well 1 can 12oz can of Freon and the A/C is blowing cold again and that's good.  What is bad is I can now here a bad leak at the low port connector.  Those fill hoses need to be held straight when connected or the schrader valve can be damaged.  So now I need a new valve.

I went to AutoZone and found a kit with 2 schrader valves, new caps and a little tool to take out the valve.  Luckily the valves were the same and I replaced it easily.

The accumulator should probably be changed whenever the A/C system is opened but I did not want to do that until I have to.  Remember this is still the lazy way.

I hooked up my A/C manifold gauges to both the high and low side ports.  Then I pulled a vacuum for about an hour with my cheap 1.5 CFM Robinar vacuum pump.

Now I hooked up a new can of freon to the low side port and put the bottom of the freon can in a bowl of hot water.  The hot water will help the freon flow in. With about 3/4 can freon in I start the van and put the A/C on max.

There is enough freon that the compressor is now cycling on and off and pulls in the rest of  this first can.
I then put another can of freon in and the A/C is working great.  The compressor is not cycling now and inside vent are putting out 50 degrees or maybe a little cooler.

I can't find the sticker on my van (most vehicles sticker is under the hood) that says how much freon in total is called for.   My Haynes repair manual says it takes 2 lbs so with only 2 12 oz cans I am a little low on freon.

It is better too little than too much so will just stay with 2 cans for now.

I don't know how long this fix will last but it has been 3 weeks and working great.  Was the reason it quit working originally just a very slow leak over the years until it got too low on freon?  If I had not messed up the valve a can of freon may have fixed the problem without further work.

The Lazy way caused problems but also has it temporarily fixed without the grueling job of doing it right and replacing compressor, condenser, accumulator, orifice tube and new seals.

Hope this wasn't too long and hard to read.
A SEEKER

A/C systems also require oil.  I think you need to add a couple of ounces to the system for the compressor since the system has been opened.

B and C said:
A/C systems also require oil.  I think you need to add a couple of ounces to the system for the compressor since the system has been opened.

It may well need oil.  I may add some.  I think they have refrigerant with oil included that could be used.

I only know enough about A/C to be dangerous.  The A/C tools I acquired fairly cheaply have saved me a lot of money on A/C repairs over the years living in hot humid Florida.

My van is 10 years old and I have no maintenance history.  Do you think it is possible that this van has the original compressor?  If I have more problems and keep this van I will redo the A/C system complete.
A SEEKER

I have a 2000 Chevy Roadtrek so it is now at least 15 years old with a 105K miles on it.  It had 93K miles on it when I bought it.  I am the third owner and one (or both) of the previous owners did not show it much love.  I replaced the original (according to my A/C guy) A/C compressor two years ago because it blew a seal (oil all around it).  I also have a 2000 GMC Yukon XL with the original compressor (according to my A/C guy) and have only had to have Freon added once in the 6 years I have owned it.  It is still going strong with over 190K miles on it.  It had 129K miles on it when I bought it.  I have no maintenance history on either vehicle and both were bought well used (abused?).  YMMV

the only thing that's guaranteed with AC is that sooner or later the Freon will leak. you can bet your last dollar on it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the only thing that's guaranteed with AC is that sooner or later the Freon will leak.  you can bet your last dollar on it.  highdesertranger

I gave my old '94 Chevy pickup to my son a few years ago when I bought the Yukon.  It has over 253K the last I heard and the A/C was still working great (truck is starting to fall apart though).  It has never been touched since new as I bought it from a friend and knew the vehicle.  I think it had around 105K when I bought it.

They will leak eventually, some just a lot slower than others.  I think it helps if you use it often as it keeps the seals lubed.  I live just West of Houston, so A/C gets used pretty much all year either to cool or de-fog the windshield.