Lazy Bastage Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ariel said:
Flirtin' with danger using that Pyrex on a stove top... any major temperature fluctuation and you'll have a shard impaled in your eye.

http://www.today.com/health/kitchen-calamity-reports-shattering-cookware-rise-1C7700507

that's a good article, I'm thinking those that have had problems probably did something a bit beyond what they should have.

One of the biggest issues is taking glassware out of the oven and placing it on something considerably cooler. This causes the glass to shrink rapidly and break.

cooking right on the flame, I've never done that my self, but I have heard of it time and time again. I don't personally have the gonads to do it.

Is the Pyrex used in the kitchen not the same as the Pyrex used in laboratories and smoking gear?

I haven't cleaned my coffee press in atleast 6 months, just wipe or rinse the used coffee grounds out.

minimotos95 said:
Is the Pyrex used in the kitchen not the same as the Pyrex used in laboratories and smoking gear?

Yes and No!

Corning shows 4 or 5 different types of 'Pyrex' for lab use. It looks like most of it is the borosilicate (sp?) formula that was used in the older pyrex dishes. Todays' home use glass is a different formula (lime silicate).

Amongst other rules for all their pyrex, Corning says never to put hot glass on a cold surface and the other way around as well. Also they should never be put on an electric burner.

There are some glass pots available that are safe for stove top cooking.

The other problem is that not all 'pyrex' is created equal. Pyrex is a trade mark of Corning Glass. Just like we tend to call all nose wipes 'Kleenex' and all photocopiers a 'Xerox', those are actually trademarked names that have become household words used universally.