Laundry!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I was saying before the interruption ... Thanks again Bri<div><br></div><div>I've heard of 7th gen products before but was never sure if they were for real or one of those products claiming to be safe but wasn't. I've never heard of Dr. Bronners before and am anxious to try it out.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>I'm doing my best to do my part. With the population growing exponentially with each generation, water is going to become one of our most precious commodities. I asked about the e-safe detergents because I'm seriously considering getting myself one of those laundry pods. Well, after they've been out a while and the price (hopefully) drops. I plan on draining it into my grey water tanks, but would like to know it's safe if I wanted to drain onto the ground.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div>

Hi Steve, As usual, it will prolly take some more research regarding whether the 7th gen stuff is really as good as claimed but I find it in every whole foods type store....I don't know of any other...<br>Dr. Bronner has a very, very strange philosophy but the writing is so small you don't have to read it...it actually cracks me up....His stuff is all made of vegetable oil and the soap is called Castile which used to mean it was made from olive oil....I am not sure if always uses olive oil in his.<br>Back in the early and mid 70's we lived in a tiny 1940's log cabin off the grid in the coast range in OR and made nearly everything we used by hand including soap....man was that a lot of work....we used pork fat and lye made from wood ashes.<br>We hand washed with a vintage rocker tub including my first son's diapers and for a while with the second son....finally broke down and went to the laundramat....wow, hadn't thought about that for a while...<br>Having learned through experience all the stuff we learned and knowing that we did it is great, wanting to do it again would be crazytalk... but I always pull for others!<br>Happy washing....<br>Bri<br><br>

I'll be researching for sure but will wait a lil longer to see if anyone has any other brands they might recommend.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>My mom grew up on a farm and said they did laundry in a similar way. I've washed clothes by hand before too but not for as long as you did or for the same reasons. I'm hoping the laundry pod makes it a little easier even if it's still a partial manual process.</div><div><br></div>

It's not hard to make your own soap, Criso and lye will do it. Plain old white soap. You can make expensive and fancy soaps by using olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, etc. Plenty of websites to teach you. It's not rocket science, pilgrims did it without any fancy equipment.<br>Harbor Freight sells cheap (but accurate) scales &amp; safety glasses. You can get you a glass pitcher and a steel pot at any Goodwill or thrift store. Be sure to get some of those wicked attractive dish washing gloves to protect your hands in case you spill or splash the lye.<br><br>

Once the soap is cured - the lye is no longer harmful. You could eat the soap if you were one of those kids who dug eating crayons and paste in preschool.<br>

i washed my firstborns diapers on a scrub board with good old fashioned lye soap....the cleanest, whitest diapers in the neighborhood.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>what really attracts me about the laundry pod is the ability to spin out the water. i wonder how well it does it.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>i love Dr. Bronner's soap. i have made it my mission to read evrything last thing on the label. who knows, i may reach nirvana....or maybe my eyes will fall out.</div>

It is hard to beat borax. been around for a very long time and has many different uses.

Ill have to have a look into that, I think so far i like the electrical ones better. Didnt realise there was such a range out there.

Latest posts