LAND BETWEEN THE LAKES WESTERN KY AND TN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlin man and wife

Reaction score
Some people wanted to know what their was to doin land between the lakes. this is from their brochure.  170,000 acres forest  and open lands 300 miles of shore line, 31 boat ramps, 261 miles hiking trails, 70 miles mountain bike trails, 159 miles paved roads, 444 miles total roads, 9 picnic areas, 6 historic iron furnace ruins, 1 bison range, 53 mammal species, 352 land animal species,  69 reptiles  and          amphibian species, 75 to 150 eagles, 260 bird species, 41 migratory birds, 1,310 plant species, 200wildlife watering holes, 5 interior lakes, 1400 campsites, 21 camping facilities, 100 miles of equestrian trails, 1 off highway vehicle 100 miles trails, 4 special attractions, elk and bison range, home place 1850 working farm, planetarium and observatory, woodlands nature station,  CAMPING FEES $30 per person annual permits per person, 3 nights permit $7.00, 14 days rule apply, senior and access pas honored, 3 pay campgrounds with full hookups, dispersed camping allowed permit required, 3 free dump stations with pot water,  ONE GROUP CAMP $50.000 for one week or $100.00 for two weeks. a good place for a gtg can hold 200 campers with pit toilet  dumpster and 3 miles to dump station and water. nor stores or gas  for about 10 to 20 miles. when government took their land part of the agreement was no commercial establishment would be allowed  if any was built all the land would go back to original owners or their descendants .

Are you from that area? I am from Southern Illinois (unfortunately) up near Carlyle Lake/ in Clinton County--
about 2.5 hours away from Land Between the Lakes. I have bought the $30 annual USDA LBL pass (what a deal!!),
and want to go down there to see the area ASAP. May try for even next week if my solar panels show up --or in 3-4 weeks.
thanks t

Ty for this. Helps with intention of going back Southeast to visit daughter.
LBL is gorgeous area

This place does sound wonderful. After May 1 I will be based in East KY so if I have the time and $ I want to see it. Buffalo and elk included.

Question: What did the mother buffalo say to her little boy when he left home for the first day of School?
Answer: Bye - son.

I will be only 7 miles from the VA line (but by road around the mountain its more like 30 miles). So it's a 6 hour drive to Land between the lakes. It looks like a place you could spend months exploring and enjoying. Maybe I can time the trip to see the moon-bow at Cumberland falls on the way, and the Daniel Boone Forest.

My youngest and I went for a road trip a couple of years back for her spring break. We did Garden of the Gods in southern Illinois and drove through LBL to see the elk and bison. I really enjoyed it, but you are right about there being no commercial area for miles. We ate lunch at a nursing home as there were no restaraunts in the area.

@GypsyJan

Sounds like my kind of place!  :D

170,000 acres is a pretty big place. Is it very safe? I'd like to see some data.

I have lived hear for 35 years and I don't remember hearing of anything but that does not mean something did not take place.. I would check with park service

Riverman said:
170,000 acres is a pretty big place. Is it very safe?  I'd like to see some data.
Data on what?  If there are safety concerns (other than the size of the area) perhaps share them with the rest of us so we can look
for additional info.    t

I missed the Last Train to Clarksville and you didn't meet me at the station.

Too funny. Park service reports bears bobcats and bison at LBL, says cell service not available everywhere. Also mentions mosquitos, ticks, and chiggers. This link contains the official safety notes.

https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/summer-safety-tips-land-lakes-2017/

Sometimes people use the lack of cell service as an excuse for bad behavior, but if you are aware you will know both the location of cell service, and any developing situations you need to know about. Has anyone on here actually been surprised by someone's bad behavior?
I've been bummed out but not surprised.

-crofter

1,743 miles from here, but I like the fireworks ban. That is a nice thing in July.  -crofter

NATURE_LOVER   That song was written about this Clarksville and GI at ft campbell and the train that took them to Nashville for their fun. IT was also were they shipped out of for overseas duty and in the song he wanted is girl to catch the last train from Nashville and met him at the station before he shipped out