ky and tn place for a get together

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travlinman and wife

Reaction score
land between the lakes operated by forest service has a group camp called Colson hollow group camp. Cost is $50 for one weekend or $100 for 14 days. ( this is for the site not per person ) one mile on good dirt road rest on good pavement. 3 miles to dump station and potable water. about 25 miles to store and gas. Site has 18 tables some electric all on one pole one small dumpster and a pit toilet. area is all grass with some shade around the edge. Can handle up to 200 people I asked about cars and was told she did not know of a restriction on how many vehicle were allowed. Also borders on a lake. Things to do. 300 miles of shore line,261 miles of hiking trails, 70miles of mountain bike trails, 159 miles of paved roads, 440 miles of total roads, 9 historic iron furnace ruins, 1 bison range, 1 off highway vehicle area with 100 miles of trails, elk and bison range, homeplace 1850 working farm, planetarium and observatory, woodlands nature station, 5 interior lakes, and some 300 cemetery if you like to visit them. I PUT THIS UP SO SOMEONE COULD HOST THIS IF THEY ARE INTERSTED. AT THIS TIME I CANOT HOST. CONTACT INFO IS A LADEY NANED WANDA HER CONTACT # IS 270- 924- 2044  leave a message an she will return call. With electric might be a good place for van build just make sure it is ok with forest service.

My 2 cents.

I live where Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia come together.

Eastern Ky while it is rustic for singles Boondocking may not be as attractive as points west of Lexington.

Tn has some nice places like Cove Lake State Park.  Near the Norris Dam.

Many people in that region have deep emotional family ties to the land that their families have struggled to hold on to for generations. The federal government took lots of land from them, the economy caused many hardships for those that were able to hold on to after that. Many are extremely possessive and distrust strangers. Expanding populations needing to live close to home have only increased that sense of pride and concern for those that live there. A stranger that even appears to be capable of abusing the land won't stay there long even if it is apparent those that live there do. Even outsiders that buy land there are resented many times as it is for sale only because the former owner could not afford to keep it. This is one of the reasons I left many years ago. Many of the prettiest areas have been raped of their resources and beauty in order to support the people that want to stay there or are afraid to leave the lives they have known.

BULLFROG I understand what you are saying I was raised in southern west virginia. but this is west ky and tn. yes they did take their land but no one lives in this area now. it sits between two lakes and is 50 miles long and 5 miles wide.  their are only three ways in, south ,middle, and north end. no one lives in this area now, It is now designated a National Recreation area operated by the Forest Service.

Thanks, Travelinman.

Great suggestion. That's a beautiful area; I go through there often but have never camped in the park. I will be in the area around July 1 this summer, so I'd be interested if the timing were right.

Let's keep this idea going. Maybe we should move this topic to the "Gatherings" section of the forum, where it will get better exposure.

Johnny

travlinman and wife said:
I PUT THIS UP SO SOMEONE COULD HOST THIS IF THEY ARE INTERSTED. AT THIS TIME I CANOT HOST. CONTACT INFO IS A LADEY NANED WANDA HER CONTACT # IS 270- 924- 2044  leave a message an she will return call. With electric might be a good place for van build just make sure it is ok with forest service.this area is some were between 5 and 10  acre.

Moderator fell free to move this to gatherings.  Some more info this could be divided into two weeks with two groups. Bob said he would come if some one could find a place. well this is one that would work.

Don't schedule it during tick season, especially if you have pets. Both dog and hubby had to get treated for Lyme disease when we were there.