Ladder/roof rack for bubble top

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplorer88

Reaction score
I have a 1983 Dodge Xplorer 228 and I want to install a roof rack that spans most of the 19 foot length roof. 
Its a bubble top so I guess I'll either have to drill through the roof and attach it somehow that way, or clamp it to the rain gutters. 
I want to come up with something that doesn't involve any welding.. although I might get a mig welder (and practice a ton) and do it that way if I have to. 

Does anyone have any ideas? 
I was thinking about just buying a roof rack that has the clamps which attach to the gutter.. but I would have to extend it somehow so that it can clear the bubble top and everything. 
I really can't decide which rack or clamps would be best or how to go about extending it all.  
Is there a way to do it without welding?

I'll attach a pic of my van and some examples of ideas. Here's a link to the van example if the jpg doesn't work. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/55938-1978-Dodge-4x4-camper-van

Thanks!

Attachments

• phonepics251.jpg
    phonepics251.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 42
Wow I've posted in other forums and nobody has ever suggested this. 
I'd prefer to use a fuller rack with more runners or whatever but this might be the way to go. 
Maybe I'll get these for the base and then weld or bolt some runners between them to connect everything. 

Thanks!!

I think your thought on getting a couple more runners and use that for a base to build around is the way to go. you could use only bolts but a little welding will make it easier. although I wouldn't weld the runners together so you could take it apart if you wanted to. highdesertranger

What is the bubble for? Is it just to let in some light, or is it a vent? Is it molded in, or is it removable?

Why not attach an expanded mesh rack to the existing supports, and just cut a hole for the bubble with a cutting torch?

(Please keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about -- I'm just tossing it out there.)

Its going to depend on how tall your bubbletop is. I made a roof rack for my old SWB van using 8" Thule gutter mount "feet" and two 6-foot length of 1x1 square tubing I got from my local hardware store. The basket itself was a $99 Ebay special I hacked up to make work. Since this pic its been hacked up even further as Ive added a thule roof cargo box. Thule makes 12" and 18" feet.

If you have a 24" bubbletop your gong to have to fabricate your own feet to make it gutter mount.

[img=275x161]http://oi62.tinypic.com/2jfje4z.jpg[/img]

Yeah that bike rack on my spare tire I made out of 3/4 tube. (it was WAY overkill and I only used it once.)

I used a $99 Harbor Freight mig welder I useto have before I got real welders.

If you know someone who welds and does metal fabrication, get a regular ladder rack and have it heightened.

The bubble top is just a domed roof that spans the length of the van for more head room while you're in it. 
Here's a picture. 

search

https://www.google.com/search?q=24"...dodge+xplorer+bubble+to&imgrc=JZhZQBY2kIb7aM:

steamjam1 said:
Its going to depend on how tall your bubbletop is. I made a roof rack for my old SWB van using 8" Thule gutter mount "feet" and two 6-foot length of 1x1 square tubing I got from my local hardware store. The basket itself was a $99 Ebay special I hacked up to make work. Since this pic its been hacked up even further as Ive added a thule roof cargo box. Thule makes 12" and 18" feet.

If you have a 24" bubbletop your gong to have to fabricate your own feet to make it gutter mount.

[img=275x161]http://oi62.tinypic.com/2jfje4z.jpg[/img]

Yeah that bike rack on my spare tire I made out of 3/4 tube. (it was WAY overkill and I only used it once.)

I used a $99 Harbor Freight mig welder I useto have before I got real welders.

Thanks for the example. Looks like a good setup. 
So any ideas on how to go about making my own feet?

xplorer88 said:

Thanks for the example. Looks like a good setup. 
So any ideas on how to go about making my own feet?

Depending on how tall your bubbletop is, and from the looks of the Xplorer 228, you can probably get away with set of commercial gutter mounts like this, although you may end up modding it slightly.
[img=375x375]http://cdnll.discountramps.com/images/xl/van-roof-bars__2.jpg[/img]

I obviously don't understand your question.

You have a full-length fiberglass high-top. I get that. You also appear to have roof rack supports already in place. The problem (to me) seems to be that bubble in the middle, which appears to be taller than your supports. If that bubble in the middle could be removed and patched, why could you not use the existing supports by installing a frame with expanded metal over the whole thing?

TrainChaser said:
I obviously don't understand your question.

You have a full-length fiberglass high-top.  I get that.  You also appear to have roof rack supports already in place.  The problem (to me) seems to be that bubble in the middle, which appears to be taller than your supports.  If that bubble in the middle could be removed and patched, why could you not use the existing supports by installing a frame with expanded metal over the whole thing?

That's okay. I don't think I'll be removing and replacing the roof of my van. 
I think you might be mistaking the picture of someone else's xplorer (that I linked to as an example of what I might do) as my own. So far I don't have any supports other than the rain gutter itself. 
Thanks.

I just set a straight piece of wood on top of the van to get it to stick out far enough so that I can measure from the gutter to the top of the van... turns out the roof is about 13" from gutter to top. 
So as far as I can tell the Thule gutter mounts won't work as is. I guess I can just add pipe to the end of them to get some more height?
Man, I suck at this. lol I wish I could just test this stuff out in person.

Cool Van!!
Keep searching for pics on the net of other explorers and their roof racks, you'll find one set up like you want.

Gadget728 said:
Cool Van!!
Keep searching for pics on the net of other explorers and their roof racks,  you'll find one set up like you want.

Hey fellow Kansan. I'm not really seeing any xplorers with roof racks other than the one I posted.  :huh: