Ladder Rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arizonatruck

Reaction score
An idea I had is to use a ladder rack as the base for the shell to live in. Standing up might be a little hard without modifications, but could be done. Plus, it gives a decent base for solar. Wood or metal could be used and if you are familiar with using it, so could fiberglass.

Unless getting a tall one (I have only ever seen one that might be tall enough to stand in) you will have to modify to stand in, and probably cost prohibitive. But, I don't need a whole lot of space, but do like the idea.

I'm not clear either. are you saying to take a ladder/lumber rack and enclosing the top and sides to make a shell? highdesertranger

Basically, yes, right now it's just an idea. I would use some sort of sealant to seal any gaps. I would also possibly add supports to be able to eventually put in a window. Attaching wood or sheet metal for enclosing it.

It's an idea I've considered. basically you are using the ladder rack to frame in a little cabin on the bed. I don't see any big advantage to just building a frame from 2x2s though, except for strength if you want to carry weight on top. It would be harder to weather seal the ladder rack.

The height would be easy to adjust--any fabricator can raise the legs.
Bob

I would like to eventually put a small 5k btu a/c unit on it, but that may be out of the question, kind of makes it obvious when in the city and I don't like gennys running all that much. I will be putting solar on it. But the window a/c unit i have takes about 515 watts at almost 5 amps at 120 volts.

I could seal it using sealants and there is a sheet substance that is used in roofing for seems to help seal them, besides the paper.

If I wanted to stand up in it, modification would be needed. In that case I may just start from scratch anyway. I haven't had much luck in finding ladder racks or shells on either of the major internet boards.

I bet you can find a slide in camper for your pickup fairly cheap and then repair and modify that. Else traid off the pickup for a van. Any event, good wishes.

ok I see now. I think your idea is sound but as bob stated might be hard to weather seal, as most racks are round tube. if I where doing this I would build my own out of square tube. allot easier to skin pus you could make it anyway you wanted. just my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I have a ladder rack that's made to go around a topper. Then I found a ARE Commercial topper on Craig's List for $200 that was 6" taller than standard. I insulated and paneled the inside and it's pretty comfortable. I have a platform inside that is about 8 1/2" high and I can still sit up with a couple inches above my head. Granted I'm not currently living in it. I just do trips of varying lengths. I think if you can find the right topper used it would be a lot less work and possibly less money. But if I was going to live in it for any length of time I would try and find a used slide in. Not being able to stand up or even shuffle around bent over like in a van would get old pretty quick. Just my 2 cents having a similar set up to what you are purposing.