Know your Rights / laws on the road!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave2D

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to ask you all about Laws / and Rights every vandweller should know!  I honestly dont know jack , and I think every vandweller should know ALL their rights if you choose to live this lifestyle , so if you know any leave a comment!

also if anyone knows self defense rights dealing with people breaking into a vehicle you are inside of!

and of course never get cocky or rude and always keep completely calm when dealing with police!

and sorry if there already is a thread about this somewhere!

Four years of vandwelling and I have never been stopped by Law Enforcement. Never had a knock at the door. Never had anybody try and break in. Honestly, if you park in the right places, drive like a 'human-being should drive and use common sense it will never happen. My best advice is to recognize what is 'private property' and don't park on Private Property....overnight or any other time!

Hi Dave:

There have been numerous in-death discussions in the recent past here on CRVL touching the issue you bring up in your post, such as: self defense, being aware of your surroundings, what to do when stopped by a LEO, and asset forfeiture.

These posts are included in several various topic areas, but there are a lot of comments and suggestions by tribe members based upon personal experience, legal perspectives, and gut feel.

Just go to the various forum topics and start browsing through each one to find these threads. The ones most to include the posts you are interested in are Misc Chit Chat and Safety on the Road; but there are probably others as well.

Or use search to find specific key words which apply.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the greatest group ever!

Although it is wise to know the law and your rights it is even wiser to avoid conflict of any type when dealing with a LEO. The best outcome from interacting with LEO is being allowed to go on your way without getting arrested. Many I have interacted with haven't been that nice at all with a few exceptions
Best advice is to agree with them, don't lie, and always call them officer.

On the other hand if you feel like tugging on Superman's cape just tell them you know the law/rights, argue with them, etc and they will find a way to bring you in and impound your vehicle. I find it difficult to be nice to someone who is being an egotistical jerk but it isn't worth letting them know what you think. BTW, in 42 years of driving I've been stopped about 6 or 7 times and 5 were total jerks, 1 was all business and 1 was actually pretty decent. Being nice to them all didn't stop them from being a jerk but it did prevent them from giving me an even harder time.

Let's stay on topic.

There are plenty of ways to read about the horrible things that happen in the world. This doesn't need to be one of them.
Bob

I can't speak for anywhere else, as laws are diferent, diferent places, but here in texas 'castle doctrine' extends to your vehicle. so your rights re self defense are as they would be in your home
That won't help if you're trespassing, and it won't stop a cop from giving you a hard time, so be smart, and be polite if pulled over

Sameer said:
Four years of vandwelling and I have never been stopped by Law Enforcement.  Never had a knock at the door.  Never had anybody try and break in.  Honestly, if you park in the right places, drive like a 'human-being should drive and use common sense it will never happen.  My best advice is to recognize what is 'private property' and don't park on Private Property....overnight or any other time!

I disagree with the "it will never happen" part. I don't wish to instill paranoia, but I also oppose the notion that one can predict what others will or will not do. Odds are you will have a peaceful uninterrupted sleep, but there is no absolute Guarantee of that. 

I think it is a good idea to be ready to greet both the good guys and bad guys. If someone is not law enforcement, i don't plan on complying with requests like can you come out so we can talk. Everything depends on the situation.

Latest posts