Knife question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen

Reaction score
Or perhaps more accurately, a question about steel.

I recently sold off my last gun and am planning to employ other methods for my personal safety.  I'm fairly well trained (former LEO and some years of martial arts) so in addition to pepper spray/ball bat/taser, I think I'll bring along my WWII K-bar.  It's got plenty of uses in a camping setting, so it's not just dead weight.

Just curious about the steel, the blade looks perfect, is sharp as a razor, and has been kept oiled and properly stored forever.  Is the blade still trustworthy or do they lose strength over time?

dang you have a WWII K-Bar. I am jealous. you are fine the only time you are going to hurt the steel is by heating it. you would have to get it pretty hot. I also have a K-Bar. I love it, great knife. highdesertranger

I actually have the Mark II Navy dive knife version, the only difference if the sheath, it's metal and webbing instead of leather, so it wouldn't rot when worn in the water.

I also have an NCO samurai sword in excellent condition. My great uncle brought it back from the Pacific.

I have the USMC version. but I bought mine new, not surplus. the surplus ones I looked at were pretty beat up. if yours is a family heirloom it's a treasure. highdesertranger

Well made knives/blades should last forever if taken care of. I have a machete that came from Vietnam that I came into ownership of in the mid 60's. Thirty years later I was using it to chop down 2"-3" willows around some fish ponds. I have other knives that are decades old that are as good as new. One of my favorites is a Case xxChanger that I have had for close to twenty five years that is as good as the first time I used it.

I've busted a lot knives over the years, some cheap some spendy... wonder what they made k-bars out of that they last so long.

Queen said:
I've busted a lot knives over the years, some cheap some spendy... wonder what they made k-bars out of that they last so long.

High carbon steel.

I have a Chicago Cutlery chef's knife my father got during WWII.  It still sings when I put that blade to the sharpening wand!

yeah both of you forgot, good old yankee high carbon steel. K-Bars are still made in the USA. highdesertranger

you guys are making me fell inadequate for just having a 1943 us bayonet

Queen said:
Or perhaps more accurately, a question about steel.

I recently sold off my last gun and am planning to employ other methods for my personal safety.  I'm fairly well trained (former LEO and some years of martial arts) so in addition to pepper spray/ball bat/taser, I think I'll bring along my WWII K-bar.  It's got plenty of uses in a camping setting, so it's not just dead weight.

You may have a problem carrying a fixed blade knife an some areas or you usually have to carry them non-concealed and in a sheath. I'd get a folding knife also to carry conceal.

"Now that's a knife!"

Do you wear it regularly? Into stores and restaurants? That would be harder to conceal than a pistol.

Thanks.

Just checked out my knife and see a tiny hint of rust on the guard, looks very surface, almost like dust (thank you FL), will some 3 in 1 and a rag do the trick?

Thanks, Art. This and the samurai sword are the only old things I've got, no rust or spots or anything on the new stuff.