Keeping pets cool in the heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandaOnTheRoad

Reaction score
Help!

I have been looking into air conditioning units and it seems hard to pull off with limited power .

Does anybody have any tips for alternative ways to keep the vehicle cool?

Thanks in advance!

What part of the country are you in? Are you going to be staying put or traveling? The easiest way to stay cool in a mobile environment is to drive somewhere that's cooler. But that's not an option for everyone either.

As you found out, air conditioning is not real practical off grid. You can however run a powerful 12v fan off grid, and I suggest everyone have one! Fantastic Fan is a great brand. You can move 900 cubic feet per minute, which is more than enough to exchange the air inside your vehicle with outside air. That means you can keep the inside about the same temperature as the outside.

Obviously in areas like the southwest where sun is intense, sun is your biggest enemy when trying to stay cool. Park in the shade whenever possible. Some people even build platforms on roof racks (e.g., plywood painted white) to keep the sun from beating directly on the roof of the vehicle. Of course, keep in mind if you're charging with solar you can't shade your panels and keep your batteries happy at the same time.

The other issue with pets in vehicles is that even if you've taken all the precautions (leave plenty of water out, fan exhausting hot air, window open for fresh air...) you still may get that conscientious do-gooder who sees your vehicle and takes it upon himself to smash a window or call the cops. Just something to be aware of.

RandaOnTheRoad said:
Help!

I have been looking into air conditioning units and it seems hard to pull off with limited power .

Does anybody have any tips for alternative ways to keep the vehicle cool?

Thanks in advance!

Roof vent, (Fantastic fan) side windows open about 1 inch.  Ice chest next to a "doggy cool" pad.  Park in the shade.

cross post from inverter thread..

This may work for you.

White roof on van? If not then paint white.

Park in the shade knowing that it shifts over time.

Get a fantastic fan vent (you'll need an auxiliary battery setup for DC power) and window rain visors (to keep windows safely cracked)--this setup will move air through the van.

Buy a roll of reflecitx and cut sunshades for your windows (and always use them).

These things will buy you 20 degrees easy and much cheaper. You can add solar easily at first or later if you want.

Beware busybodies calling animal control anyway.

Good luck
Squid

If your dog likes water then kiddie pool with about 1/2 an inch of water and a bunch of towels in it. If you keep his belly cool, he will be comfortable.
Bob

I think this will be location specific based on temperature and whether humid or dry plus there are places that do not allow pets to be left in the vehicle at all.

Raven+Squid said:
cross post from inverter thread..

This may work for you.

White roof on van? If not then paint white.

Park in the shade knowing that it shifts over time.

Get a fantastic fan vent (you'll need an auxiliary battery setup for DC power) and window rain visors (to keep windows safely cracked)--this setup will move air through the van.

Buy a roll of reflecitx and cut sunshades for your windows (and always use them).

These things will buy you 20 degrees easy and much cheaper. You can add solar easily at first or later if you want.

Beware busybodies calling animal control anyway.

Good luck
Squid
Thank you!!!!

Thanks bob!!
akrvbob said:
If your dog likes water then kiddie pool with about 1/2 an inch of water and a bunch of towels in it. If you keep his belly cool, he will be comfortable.
Bob

There is information on the internet about how to turn a fan into a portable a/c. I'm planning on doing that when I get ready to go cause I'll always have a pet of some sort and it will need to be cool inside whatever I'm driving. However, I don't go to an 8-5 job due to disabilities so my time away from vehicle will be limited to doc appts, grocery shopping and the like.

As far as laws restricting animals in vehicles, I think that's just if there is no ability to keep them cool, altho I don't know for sure. I used to leave my car locked & the a/c running when I ran in to the store if my dog was in there (he loved car rides).

Look at this:     Note the temperature.  You'll need a roof vent.  And you would want to try it out before you need it, under hot conditions.  IF it works under serious heat conditions, get two round large-numbers thermometers (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51H38YABAAL._AC_UL320_SR312,320_.jpg) and attach them to a post (like a tension rod) and set it between the front seats where people and cops can see it through the side windows.  If you're one of those black-window freaks, tough.

But the real fact of the matter is that you can't leave a pet or a child in a closed vehicle in summer, because people are going to object.  And if you plan on spending a LOT of time leaving the dog in the vehicle in hot places, don't take the dog.

TrainChaser said:
But the real fact of the matter is that you can't leave a pet or a child in a closed vehicle in summer, because people are going to object.

Keeping the sun out is step one.  Once you cover the windshield and the windows, how would anyone know there was a pet inside?

I saw a hybrid at the store yesterday, (think it was a Prius) with a dog inside, the driver had put notes in the windows advising onlookers that the dog was fine, the car was running with the AC on
Another reason to like hybrids, pet friendly in the summer heat
I've been seeing cars that looked like they might be CRVLers lately, maybe I'll put the site's web addy on my truck somewhere so any of the tribe who blow through Columbus will know there's at least one friendly local

Latest posts