KayakGirl got her van!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayakGirl

Reaction score
Got the van!! A gorgeous 1998 Ford 150. Oh my gosh, I can’t tell you how excited I am! My son found the perfect one, for the perfect price and “conversion” will be at a minimum as the back bench seat folds down into a pretty comfy bed (a memory foam topper will make it perfect) and the middle seats come out so I will have room to put in storage. The gentleman even threw in a portable potty!!!

Once I got up the “hill” (local reference to the 4300 foot mountain that is between Redding and my little town of Burney) I went straight to my craft room and confiscated two of my Sterlite plastic 3-drawer storage units in order to utilize them in Freedom. That’s what I christened her—FREEDOM!!!! I may change them out to something sturdier, but for now they are perfect; light and easily moved if I change my mind on arrangement. The two center seats come out–oops, I already said that! I am kicking around the idea of just removing one of them and that’s what I will do to start. I can always remove the other one later.

Freedom is really clean, but I am going to wipe down the microfiber seats and clean the carpet anyway.

Need to dig out the first aid kit in my kayaking stuff, along with my Thermarest (until I can get a memory foam topper) battery operated camp light and one burner stove. I have some salt and pepper shakers with those snap on lids, a nifty little cutting board, and a few pieces of Lexan cutlery. It’s a good start to fleshing out my kitchen items!

I could go on and on, but I will leave it there. Don’t want anyone who reads this getting that glazed over look in their eyes too quickly. There’s plenty of time for that!

I'm so very happy for you! Now the fun part begins.....fixing it up the way that you want it, taking some trips and then changing it up again!

Have fun and let us know how it's going!

Thank you so much! I am sure you all remember the excitement of getting that vehicle to travel in. My folder entitled "The Van Plan" will now be renamed "Getting Freedom on the Road" :) I think the dogs and I will sleep in her tonight, though! Photos coming up as soon as the weather clears. Cali is FINALLY getting some rain.

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you.And a little jealous since my search continues.

Happy Trails!

Well, how cool is this! Congrats on the new dream machine!!

Congratulations on your find - a major mile marker. Keep us up to date; our eyes won't glaze over and, even if they do, YOU can't tell... Lol

How fun is this! I get excited everytime I look at our van and I am always trying to incorporate new ideas or adjust old ideas. Hope to have our first great adventure at the RTR and meet lots of nice folks. Best of luck with Freedom and enjoy every step of your build:) Jan

Thanks everyone! I looked out my window this morning and thought "Wow. It's real. She's mine. I wanna go NOW!!" You all know that feeling, I am sure. I am loving the people on this forum; so nice, so helpful. Can't wait until I can make my own trip to the RTR :-D

Congrats. on the van sounds like a nice clean van.

You know Burney!!! I am always shocked when someone knows where this little burg is, even with the famous McArthur Burney Falls just a few miles away. It's actually been pretty mild so far, no hard freeze yet. If you (or others) are ever this way, give me a shout. I have some room in my yard for parking and you are welcome to stay a few.
Taking Freedom on her maiden voyage this weekend :) Not far, just to Red Bluff to visit my youngest son and his family. Excited!! Reflectix came in yesterday and I got some of it cut and installed. Have a list for a stop at Wally World on the way south. . . . .

Hey, I know of Burney. I attended Shasta CC 1967-1969. Attended a Janis Joplin and BBHC concert during Pioneer Days at Chico State, fun times. Skied Lassen & Shasta. Great area all year around.

-Wayne

Hey Wayne, how cool is that! You didn't happen to graduate Anderson Union High did you?

The maiden voyage in "Freedom" went extremely well; it definitely added fuel to the roaming fire. My youngest son took the two middle seats out for me and now I'm having fun planning the addition of a table/desk area. Still kicking around the idea of taking that bench seat out and building a bed. It's not uncomfortable but as most of you know, it wastes a lot of space. Loving this planning and dreaming stage!

The roaming becomes addictive. We've been dry docked for longer than normal - a couple of months, although we did get out for about a week in October. Short trips don't count - they just make the longing worse...