Just thinking at the moment.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdwhit

Reaction score
I’m considering the lifestyle in retirement.  A big concern though is all the videos from the desert.  I spent the first 30 years of my life in the desert, and really have no desire to camp in it again.  Are there popular winter destinations where there are trees and water (river, lake, ocean, etc.)?

Cammalu said:
Lots of nomads head down to Baja.
 Where in Baja?  I’ve only been down there a couple times, but loved it.  Is it an issue taking a camper van or RV into Mexico?

slow2day said:
Is there BLM land in FL?  Other legal boondocking options there?  I’ve heard FL is even getting nasty about boaters living “on the hook”, do they tolerate vanlife?

I got bad news for you, Baja is in the desert. As far as I know you gonna have to pay in Florida. Highdesertranger

Most like warmer weather in the winter and many RVs are not suited for extended cold weather stays which sort of limits you to the desert, Gulf of Mexico or Florida which can be expensive. Escapees.com do have some parks there which you may want to check out. There are a few groups that when possible go to Mexico every year.

bullfrog said:
Most like warmer weather in the winter and many RVs are not suited for extended cold weather stays...
I prefer warm weather, even in a house.  Also, while Baja is a desert, the San Carlos / Guaymas area is really nice.  I could be happy spending a winter in Guaymas if it’s the same as it was last time I was there.

That’s right my bad. I guess you can head down to the jungles of the Yucatán.

The whole of the gulf coastal areas have overall mild winters. Of course so does Southern California. But the lush mild winter areas get pretty crowded so that means not a lot of free camping spots. Of course
some people do drive down into Mexico and central America. But if you are on a tight budget then tne BLM camping in Southern Arizona is your best option.

cdwhit said:
Is there BLM land in FL?  Other legal boondocking options there?  I’ve heard FL is even getting nasty about boaters living “on the hook”, do they tolerate vanlife?
I was reading one of Mr. Bob's blog entries on camping and there was a discussion about the best free camping in FL being available the state's water districts (5 of them) and Environmental Protection Agency, the OP stated that many were known only to a very small group and information for them could be found by accessing the "Parks and Rec" tab at the top of the website (see below - FL Water Management site). Worth a shot!

https://floridadep.gov/water-policy/water-policy/content/water-management-districts#SWF

Cheers!

Addendum to the above^^^ - Go to the bottom of the site with the interactive map - click on a district and that pulls up their individual website - located there is a link (recreation) for the water district's own camping sites along w info on how to reserve them, it looks pretty promising! - I think that this is what was being discussed in the OP. Example:

https://www.nwfwater.com/Lands/Recreation

Cheers!

My brother and I were discussing Ecuador as an inexpensive location with excellent healthcare which uses the US dollar as its currency last night.  There are lots of ways to get a visa (that lasts longer than 90 or 180 days and can turn into permanent residence after a few (2? 5?) years). If you have a college degree and are a digital nomad (Professional Visa), can invest $40K for two years (Investor Visa), etc., you can move to Ecuador.  For the investor visa, you can put $40K in a two year CD (which pays up to 10% per year interest), collect the interest and withdraw your money after two years.  The equivalent "FDIC"in Ecuador protects $32K of your funds in any covered bank or credit union; one option is to withdraw half of your $40K investment after two years and put that half in a CD in a different bank or credit union so 100% of your funds are protected.  One issue:  Ecuador charges a 5% fee on funds withdrawn from the country.  To me, the idea of investing $40K, letting it compound at 10% per year for ten years and paying a 5% fee at the end doesn't sound terrible; your investment is worth $103,750 at the end, you pay a 5% ($5190) fee and take $98,560 back to the US if you decide to leave Ecuador. Compare that with the return on a CD in the US.

Hello All,
I started out in Florida, Not nearly as easy as it is out here in the Southwest.
There are 3 national forest in Florida. Ocala which is in Central Fl, and Oceola and Apalachicola in the North.
All allow 14 day dispersed camping and all have pay campsites that range from $10-$28 per night. There is also a large number of State Forest campgrounds.
Another suggestion is Craigslist, Search for RV camp spots. 
I personally have spent several months in Florida and only paid to camp a couple days. Boondocking and stealth parking is possible but it requires moving around a lot.

Your van has wheels, they will let you steer it wherever you want to go, and not the desert if you don't want to be there.

We spent the winter before last at Sumter Oaks RV Park (and Escapees park) in Bushnell, Florida. Off and on through the winter, a Canadian couple would stop for a few days in the dry camping area in the park. They said that they camped free all winter in Florida. They needed free permits, but said they were easy to get. I don't recall if it was water management areas or wildlife management areas. There is your homework :)

BTW, if you're an Escapee, Escapees parks are the best. Not the best as in luxury, but rather because they're friendly places with loads of social activities if you are so inclined. The monthly rates are really good-- if you can get a spot.

Sumter Oaks sits on a beautiful cypress head. Lots and lots of wildlife watching from our lanai there.

Don’t know if there are any BLM land areas in Louisiana but if there are any spots I would think it would be near perfect.