Just a little advice.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok without reading all the replies.

Theres nothing to fear. You can get jobs all day. They will throw maint jobs at campgrounds and resorts.

All this stuff boils down to bumbling around in a van sleeping in parking lots and off forest roads. Its really no big deal.

For different reasons than van dwelling (pay off debt, get property) I took off to live in my 5th wheel, and rented out my home for FOUR years.

We have pretty tight leases here in Texas, but I did not hesitate to put in some pretty tight regulations of my own: Late days.. TWO. Payment directly to my Bank via a deposit slip. Info on ALL pets and residents and NO OTHERS were allowed.

I also vetted them pretty thoroughly. It's not hard. Talk to last/present landlord (If they just want to get rid of them, you should be able to tell); Check job history, current employer(s), (All of which should be on their Rental Application.

Generally, people either pay their bills or not; the ones who do, obviously would be your choice. DO NOT HESITATE TO DO PERIODIC INSPECTIONS!!! Or have someone you know do it for you. I'd say NO LONGER THAN 6 month intervals. This cuts down on trashing places. (Please don't ask me how I know :(

PM me if you like or have any questions. I've done this a couple of times. And don't feel bad... we ALL have our bad stories of 'those' landlord experiences. Live and learn.
(EDIT: Oh,, oops.. this is assuming you'll rent the place.. lol I get so carried away!:)

cherterr, nice to see it works if done right.

Qxxx said:
So, if you sell the house there is no going back, and that money will run out in a few years, even living cheap. A lot of people who are hard up start Soc. Security right at age 62, but if you wait until 70, you get 50% more every month. And the amount you get increases proportionately every month you wait past 62. A lot of tradeoffs. What you have in the bank, how much it costs to live, whether you can make money on the road, when to start SS, on and on. Not easy.

If you wait were born in 1960 or later, you get 70% of your "primary insurance amount" (PIA) if you begin taking social security at age 62 and 124% if you begin taking social security at age 70.  Now 124/70=1.77 (actually 1.7714285714... :rolleyes: ).  That is, you get 77% more money per month by waiting until age 70 to begin collecting SS.  Of course, waiting may not be possible for a given person and 70% of something is better than 0% of something (unless we are talking about debt, in which case 0% is great :D ).

Latest posts