jus another old guy, living in a truck.....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keenosaabi

Reaction score
WOW!!!! so happy to be here, i've been watching Bob the past few months while getting my truck ready for it's first trip. solar is in and working, bed and storage are in, working on installing a stove and propane. it should be done this week. headed to az. to warm up and dry out.

i took a pledge last year not to spend another winter here in the pnw.

looking forward to the next RTR, see ya there.

look for the white cargo van. :p

Hi There and Welcome! This such a great group to be a part of especially for us newbie's! Can you tell us more about your rig?

Hi and welcome.

What part of the Pacific Northwest are you from? I was raised in the area, mainly Portland. It's very beautiful there but the dreary winters can be do depressing. I moved from there to AZ then CO. I like to say I'm the Goldilocks of weather, too wet, too dry, just right. :D

What kind of van do you have?

Welcome Keenosaabi to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. haha, just look for the white van, you will fit right in. highdesertranger

keenosaabi said:
WOW!!!! so happy to be here, i've been watching Bob the past few months while getting my truck ready for it's first trip. solar is in and working, bed and storage are in, working on installing a stove and propane. it should be done this week. headed to az. to warm up and dry out.

i took a pledge last year not to spend another winter here in the pnw.

looking forward to the next RTR, see ya there.

look for the white cargo van. :p

Get ready for a lot of hello knocks on your door. 90% of the vans are white, lol

keenosaabi said:

Great!  So glad you are getting a lot done!   Hope you enjoy your first trip!  Take pix and keep a journal, so in recalling the experience you can keep from spinning yarns that are too far from the truth.  LOL

Welcome.

Sleep said:
Hi There and Welcome! This such a great group to be a part of especially for us newbie's! Can you tell us more about your rig?

i rented a new transit van to help move out of my home,  i liked it so much i  bought one.

so it's a base model transit 150, only options are a back up camera and cruise,i t does have "hill holder" which is really cool.

i had it 2 weeks before my grandson and i filled it up with camping gear for a 6 week road trip. i did put a new stereo and speakers in it before the trip.
when we got back the first thing i did was put in a max ir fan and vent cover, it makes the van so much more comfortable air quality wise. i rarely turn it on but it is always open allowing the  bad old guy air escape.

then i pursued the whole insulation thing and ended up installing 3 100 watt solar panels and wiring. they are rigged across the van roof on a tilting frame. i started with insulation got the great stuff most of which i still have and opted to fill the voids with some eco friendly battling. i used 1 and 2" sheet foam for areas i thought were flat. rather than gluing to the roof i used firing strips to hold up the insulation and secured it 1/4" birch plywood, hoping for that magical 1/2" air gap. i have a twin bed that tilts up for access to 3 large bins under neath, a ffew small shelves on the passenger side behind the sliding door. that a friend is helping me install, he has a welder. it is true shade tree enginearing. i have a cheap mini fridge, i got it for the cost of a big ice chest. i figure i have already saved it's cost not having to buy ice.

being a retired nurse this build has been a trial of patience, i just want to get on the raod and see if any of my ideas work.

i'm excited about the 2 burner stove with oven

Great!  So glad you are getting a lot done!   Hope you enjoy your first trip!  Take pix and keep a journal, so in recalling the experience you can keep from spinning yarns that are too far from the truth.  LOL

i love spinning yarns, i just wish i was a better story teller. :p

update time,
mobi and i have been on the road since halloween, most things in mobi are going and working well, i did change out the rv battieries for deep cycle 6 volt ones. i admit i forgot about them while relaxing at my sisters house, 3 days in the rain i don't know how low the charge got but it must of hurt them. a new friend assessed my system and concluded they were not holding a charge....sigh.

i'm hanging out at the van build in lake havasu, meeting new folks helping where i can so many skilled people here.

see ya'll out here on the road, keeno