Jump start box recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LIFE said:
 . . .
Revisiting 'A)', Stop looking at/for a jump-box; unless you plan to offer frequent 'jumps to vehicles that are parked nose-in, with no chance of accessing the subject vehicles' jump-start terminals from the side . . .

The biggest reason for using a jump pack instead of jumper cables when helping others is that there is no connection to your vehicle's electrical system; they are completely separate.  No danger of damaging your alternator or sensitive electronics.

My 4 y.o. jumper pack is about 2 lbs, the pack and cable fit in a nice package under my drivers seat, doesn't self-discharge very fast (I check every 6 months, usually ~90%).  It has started a diesel pickup at 0ºF.

I'm bringing this back to the top because I see some newer members asking about some of the info in this thread.

I also wanted to see how that jumper has worked out for you bullfrog.

Your link to the jumper does not work.

Last edited:
I've had a few chargers and spark boxes. Every "cheap" one I've bought off of Amazon has eventually left me stranded. I now have had a NOCO Genius charger and a NOCO spark box for longer and used more times than any of the cheap gizmos. YMMV

I have used it 3 or 4 times and it has worked well.

I've used one on my Yamaha TW200 a couple of times. What impressed me in Arizona came across a old pick-up with the hood up. Stopped to see if I could help, turned out to be an old Vietnam vet with a dead battery. He had a meter on it an it was down to 11 volts. I had him clean up the the green terminals while I dug out my jumper. Hooked it up and the old V8 fired right up and he was on his way.

^Geez there are other ways...In my opinion...the biggest reason for a portable pack is OTHER PEOPLE'S DEAD BATTERY.

Hiya Dave......Paulette brought the Nektech jump pack she used in her car to our happy Union...She's a tough consumer.... Here's a link

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nekteck-...vy-Duty-For-Truck-Van-SUV-Laptop-M/159289882?

It's never failed to start a rig in the past two years.....Recharges quick.......solid construction.......and it's a power brick if you want !

It will put out 3 Good cranking "tries".....If you require more you need a charge/recharge
I bought a jumper pack that looks and costs about the same as Paulette's. Someone here posted a link to it on Amazon, but I can't find the thread. I used it twice so far. Now I have a flashing blue indicator light, but nowhere in the manual does it mention a blue light.

Not enough info, right?

This is it: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Starter-20000mAh-Jumper-Booster/dp/B09VXJBFKY?

I ended up leaving my lights on overnight a few days ago. Used my portable jump starter again and it worked flawlessly.

This jumper has started many cars on the first charge it ever had. I can't recommend it highly enough. My daughter bought one for her trip. I had one for my other car before it was stolen. Completely worth your consideration.

GOOLOO Jump Starter GE1200 2000A Peak Portable Jump Starter Battery Pack for Up to 8.0L Gas or 6.0L Diesel Engine with USB Quick Charge and LED Light, SuperSafe 12V Lithium Car Starter https://a.co/d/ec3mnj8

I needed a second one for a second vehicle and since so many people out here tow there are a lot of large diesel trucks that end up not starting that ask for a jump start I went ahead and spent $130 for the 4,000A GOOLOO. It came almost fully charged but did not include a charger. A 5 volt 3 amp charger is needed to charge it which must be purchased separately. If it works as well as the 2,000A works I will be pleased even though every so often I’ll have to borrow my wife’s phone charger.

No, I don't think so. Don't use it much but handy when needed.
The blue lights are supposed to be there. Looks like I wore down the battery to one light flashing. Now I have 4 blue lights (solid).

Does it hurt lithium to use up the battery like that? I think that is how I killed my last AGM jump starter.

I think you're OK. Here's what I pulled up.
Is it bad to leave a lithium-ion battery dead?

Not letting it die completely will extend the battery lifespan. If you are preparing to store your batteries for a period of time, make sure you do so at half charge. Unlike other types of batteries that need to be recharged throughout their storage time, lithium batteries do better at 40%-50% DOD (depth of discharge).

I needed a second one for a second vehicle and since so many people out here tow there are a lot of large diesel trucks that end up not starting that ask for a jump start I went ahead and spent $130 for the 4,000A GOOLOO. It came almost fully charged but did not include a charger. A 5 volt 3 amp charger is needed to charge it which must be purchased separately. If it works as well as the 2,000A works I will be pleased even though every so often I’ll have to borrow my wife’s phone charger.
That's a very strange charger that's needed in terms of current.

On another note. I have jump started large 26' box truck diesels with mine. That 4000 should be a beast.

I think you're OK. Here's what I pulled up.
Is it bad to leave a lithium-ion battery dead?

Not letting it die completely will extend the battery lifespan. If you are preparing to store your batteries for a period of time, make sure you do so at half charge. Unlike other types of batteries that need to be recharged throughout their storage time, lithium batteries do better at 40%-50% DOD (depth of discharge).
Thank you. I'll be more careful with it. It's working fine now.