Jump start box recommendations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Antigravity. US based, real support.

Have one for several years now, almost perfect.

Consumer Report tested many of them a few years ago, many failed. Not the first time, but thereafter.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/

You are on the road out there, by yourself. Backup/Emergency equipment has to be top-notch!

Attachments

• AntiGravity.jpg
    AntiGravity.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 10
Van Man Dave said:
Interested in a compact jump start box for emergency jump starting only. There are so many out there, I figured I’d ask you fine folks if you have any good recommendations. Thank you in advance:)

Short Version:
1) if this is as you say "for emergency jump starting only.", --purchase a second battery and use jumper cables as needed.

2) A little more work, --purchase a second battery, and wire it in (parallel), using a solenoid. Once energized, jump-start the engine; de_energize the solenoid.

3) Compare the MSRP of an additional full-size vehicle battery to a jump-box; which do you think makes more economical sense?

Longer Version:
What is 'your' definition of 'your' emergency? For example, depending on what size battery is being assisted --and how deeply that battery is discharged. A solution/device that works over time for a Hyundai\Sonata, may not be suitable for a Ford Econoline, with only 10.3 volts available.

Please provide details, I cannot make bricks without clay. <smile> At least inform us of the vehicles make/model --this will afford enough info to research the OEM parts; I.E. the battery, additional data like --partial or full VIN, if needed, may allow someone to pull-up specifications for your exact vehicle.

If you must purchase a device, try one or both of the following:

a) A battery tester
b) A battery smart-charger.

Did this help?

^Geez there are other ways...In my opinion...the biggest reason for a portable pack is OTHER PEOPLE'S DEAD BATTERY.

Hiya Dave......Paulette brought the Nektech jump pack she used in her car to our happy Union...She's a tough consumer.... Here's a link

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nekteck-...vy-Duty-For-Truck-Van-SUV-Laptop-M/159289882?

It's never failed to start a rig in the past two years.....Recharges quick.......solid construction.......and it's a power brick if you want !

It will put out 3 Good cranking "tries".....If you require more you need a charge/recharge

@abnorm, I'm curious as to how you are able to recommend a specific device, without knowing the requirements of the subject vehicle; namely the starting battery.

I have one of those little jump starters somewhere. Didn’t cost much but I suppose I’m assuming it’s pretty much for any car or van or truck battery. Isn’t that what they are designed for?

Are you planning to jump start a submarine?

i bought one at walmart (lithium), stored in vehicle for too long without charging and it wont now take a charge....lost 50 bucks.

YouTube comparison of several jump starters by Power Factor.

Activist: These look pretty great, I’m considering one of these for sure, thanks! :D

Life: We have 4 deep cycles on board and 1 starting battery, jumper cables, etc… never been stranded that way. We are looking for a jump start unit for emergency jump capabilities for others, ourselves, etc. any recommendations?

Abnorn: Thank you ;) Good price point on his one as well. Hope y’all are doing great, BigHugs!

Cammalu: We hope we don’t need to jump a sub :cool: !  It looks like the Antigravity Jumper might do it though!

RV travel: I hope we dont have the same experience with a bum jump box, thanks for the input!

Hugemoth: Thanks for the link, clickin on it now :thumbsup:

Looks like to me an extra regular starter battery with some heavy duty short jumper cables would be a cheaper and better choice if you have the room. Most of the cheaper jumper packs I have used only lasted a year or so before having problems. I have Ryobi 18 volt tools and am waiting for them to come out with a jumper pack like some do it yourself hackers have built. Be sure to give us a follow up on what you get!

Van Man Dave said:
Life: We have 4 deep cycles on board and 1 starting battery, jumper cables, etc… never been stranded that way. We are looking for a jump start unit for emergency jump capabilities for others, ourselves, etc. any recommendations?

Thank you for providing that additional detail, its helps others to address the concern with a little more intelligence. Yes, I do have *some recommendations; given your existing power resources.

A) Stop looking for jump-boxes; period.
B) Your existing on-board power is more than enough to provide an 'emergency' jump start for yourself and others --provided both subject and donor vehicles have minimal corrosion and tight connections.

C) Get serious with jumper cables:
1) Acquire cables with clamps that will handle a min of 900/cca; (Cold Cranking Amps).

NOTE-01: If you have medical equipment on-board -- STOP NOW!

Please continue if no medical equipment is on-board ...
I'll assume your B-bank connections are correct and the proper cable size has been installed. In an emergency situation, turn off all the accessories connected to the B-bank; jump-start from there. Again, we are talking 'an emergency situation'. Once your done jumping, restore power to the accessories.

Revisiting 'A)', Stop looking at/for a jump-box; unless you plan to offer frequent 'jumps to vehicles that are parked nose-in, with no chance of accessing the subject vehicles' jump-start terminals from the side. What I have posted/recommended above, is what I use on a daily bases, with the following difference(s):

1) My B-bank has only three (03) lead-acid batteries, connected with 4/0 cable; not awg. I use lead-acid in parallel for the added (per battery) cca. I jump-start diesel engines --using 2/0 jumper cables-- regularly. What you see in this reply *will work*. Just upgrade your jump-cables to handle the minimum of 900/cca.

Hope this helps.

I have had and used a number of different lithium powered jump packs. I have had to use them a number of times for myself and also for others. They work great overall as a group. That being said, there are some differences.

Some have 2-3 buttons on them that you need to press in a manner listed in the manual before it will give a boost. While this pack worked great, it was a pain and the button thing wasn't well thought out.

With my current one, you plug in the clamp connector, clamp to the battery and a light comes on on the connector. Green if it's boosting, red if it's reversed polarity. it is simple and it works. This is much preferred over the other. When researching, find the manual online and see if you have to jump through hoops to work it or of it's plug and play.

How well do they work? Second time I ever used one was to jump start a large diesel box truck. I really didn't think it was going to work, but they didn't have another option. Their battery(s) wouldn't even try to turn it over. Hooked it up, did the voodoo sequence and it fired right up like it had new batteries in it. Color me impressed.

My current one I have had for about a year. in that time I have used it a good 20 times. It has never failed me. Three major things to note:
1. I NEVER use it to charge my devices or use the light function. I have actual power banks for those functions and wouldn't want to be stranded because I forgot to recharge it or left it charging elsewhere.

2. It came almost fully charged.

3 I have NEVER charged it. It still shows 50-75% after using it that much.

Yes, I am a believer. The tech is mature, and has become less expensive over time.

Lift. This is a solution with intelligence. It's tried, tested, inexpensive, and proven. I know that actual jumper cables will always have a place. But that's not what he asked for.

Happy Camper said:
My current one I have had for about a year. in that time I have used it a good 20 times. It has never failed me. Three major things to note:

1. I NEVER use it to charge my devices or use the light function. I have actual power banks for those functions and wouldn't want to be stranded because I forgot to recharge it or left it charging elsewhere.

2. It came almost fully charged.

3 I have NEVER charged it. It still shows 50-75% after using it that much.

Yes, I am a believer. The tech is mature, and has become less expensive over time.

Never charged and used 20 times?  Interesting. Which one do you have?

I've never carried one of these around and just always used cables for the very few times I've needed them but may think about getting one.

I don't recall the brand and model at the moment. When I go out to the van in a while I'll check. I knew someone was going to ask lol. Just to be clear, I wouldn't recommend not charging them. It just worked out that way for me because once I needed it, I needed it a lot. Then checked the battery meter and thought oh it's something to do later. Since then I have used it a few times. Check the gauge, still good. It could be lying to me, but it keeps working so I doubt it.

I've carried a heavy duty set of jumper cables for years, used a few dozen times then back in the storage soft case. Not amazon but 25 year old NAPA auto parts version.

I've looked at those high amp portable battery jumpers, but with my limited use the thing would probably discharge and be dead when I wanted it. I've got too many portable batteries and too short of a memory to keep them all useable. (DeWalt and Ryobi tools).

Interested it what folks recommend though. So bump it up....

I apologize for the very late update on the jumper I've been using lately. ironically my neighbor was stranded today with a bad battery, according to AutoZone. His alternator belt was very loose and I think that was playing into why it wasn't charging his battery, and barely putting out enough juice to allow the engine to run. 

Because his battery was just torn up and his alternator wasn't spinning enough to keep things going it kept stalling out when he'd put it in gear. We ended up having to jump him from nothing over 10 times in a 30 minute span.

As mentioned before, I have never actually charged/recharged this jumper. To show where the charge stands now after all that I took a picture. I'll have to cut the picture size down, but I'll post that shortly.

Here is the link to the jumper on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RRW411X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_WF2EK18MYV8P7WMHFG15

Highly recommended.

Here it is. I mistakenly thought it had 4 lights for battery level. It has 5.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_161915_3_resize_4.jpg
    IMG_20210505_161915_3_resize_4.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 10
That is the one I believe "Project Farm" reviewed and gave high marks so along with Happy Camper's recommendation I ordered one. Was fairly cheap compared to others and half the price of a regular battery and should be here next week. I'll try it and let you know how it works for me. Happy Camper I believe it is time to charge it as I believe it says not to use it repeately or if it only has two lights on to let it cool down then charge it.

Bullfrog, thank you for trusting my recommendation. To me this is a crucial piece of equipment regardless if your van dwelling or not.

Being a tech guy, one thing I have noticed with the jumper packs is people using them like portable phone and device chargers. I would highly discourage that. Find another way to charge. It has a multitude of functions. Save that battery for when it's needed.

For the price and the size, it's a no brainer to get one of these.

p.s. I will be charging it in the next day or so. It only made it down to two lights today. This poor thing worked hard today.