Journey To Getting There Storing CDs & DVDs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
For those of us not yet able to take off on our dream trips there are so many things we do to get ready while we are waiting.  One of those things is condensing our music and movie files if we want to take with.  I get rid of the plastic and store the CD or DVD and paper/art work only.  I also file my digitalized music using plastic characters molded to flash drives (I bought most of them at FedEx but they are available at a lot of places Downsizing Music & Movies if you want more details.

An example of my filing system for my digitalized music is that my little snowman holds Christmas music, Snoopy my playlists and Marvin Martian my can't help but dance to heavy Rock N Roll.  I realy want Yosimite Sam for my country music but alas, I didn't buy him in time and have searched but can't find him.

What are all of you doing to get ready?

Christine

When I have free wifi, I just listen to all the music available on Youtube and record the audio only with Audacity.

I bought my first CD in 1989.  Over the decades, I had amassed more than 1000 CDs (yeah, I kinda like music).   I've also moved 28 times (that I can remember) in my 57 years.  5 moves ago, I was getting tired of hauling the damn things around, so over the course of several years, I uploaded them all to Amazon Music.  I pay them $25 a year to store it all for me and I can listen or download whatever and whenever I want.  I currently have the physical CDs in storage. When #4 son finally gets on his own and takes his furniture, the storage unit will be emptied.  #2 and #4 want all the classical and the oldies, so they can divvy them up.

Streaming music is great, I stream from RadioParadise.  But no streaming music source has the depth and breadth of my music collection.
Ted

Ted, you can be RTR's worst nightmare or best DJ, depending on camp! :p Amazon music is a great idea!

All my current music is on my iPod (curious what amps my Bose sound dock from 2007(?) takes)

:cool:

Roadtrips
I have all of my music on my laptop and backed up on a portable HDD I use a bunch of mp3 players to listen to whatever away from power just load them like mix tapes or just one band or ????? (Even a 2GB mp3 will hold more music than the batteries will last. When one loses power , I just turn on another.)
AND I can plug them into my tablet like a mini portable HDD too!

All my old vinyl was put on reel to reel in the 70s, then cassettes in the 80s, then turned into mp3s in the early 00s

I backed up all my DVDs to a different HDD and keep any Utoob vids I save there too.

U-toob is great to find new music or oldies.

CTTW
The amount of power that sound dock uses will vary depending on how LOUD you play it....

Alas, no Judas Priest, ACDC (what I call "Beavis and Butthead music"), hip-hop, or religious music. Now, if you want Reggae, jazz, classic rock, R&B, folk, the aforementioned classical and oldies, and some pop, then I'm your girl.
Ted

i gave all mine to goodwill. I have no desire to listen to all that old crap I had and if I did it's literally everywhere.

Making a digital copy that you can store on a portable hard drive is the way to go. You can have all of your movies and music with you all the time without taking up any space. I have quite a library of music but must admit that most of the time when I have wifi I just end up streaming Pandora for free music.

I will say that taking the time to put all your movies and music into a digital format is not for the feint of heart. It can be very time consuming to put each CD in one at a time to rip the music into an MP3 file. But once it's done you have all your music that is readily accessible.

WalkaboutTed said:
I bought my first CD in 1989.  Over the decades, I had amassed more than 1000 CDs (yeah, I kinda like music).   I've also moved 28 times (that I can remember) in my 57 years.  5 moves ago, I was getting tired of hauling the damn things around, so over the course of several years, I uploaded them all to Amazon Music.  I pay them $25 a year to store it all for me and I can listen or download whatever and whenever I want.  I currently have the physical CDs in storage. When #4 son finally gets on his own and takes his furniture, the storage unit will be emptied.  #2 and #4 want all the classical and the oldies, so they can divvy them up.

Streaming music is great, I stream from RadioParadise.  But no streaming music source has the depth and breadth of my music collection.
Ted

Good idea Ted.  I plan on being in areas  at times when I wouldn't be able to get a connection to stream.  

Christine

I'm just putting the music on the flash drives (and then will back them up). AND I found the Yosemite Sam flash drive I was looking for and ordered it on Amazon - couldn't find one a few weeks back when I checked. 4 GB will be plenty to hold the country music. The movies will come come without the plastic as described. We are planning a 2-year trip in the RV with a lot of off-grid. I try to keep the sound from our campsite from invading the next campsite.

True story, because of hip and spine problems I could not go to concerts for a long time because dancing hurt me and I can't listen to a lot of rock n roll without dancing. I like steros with graphic equalizers on them. Old habit from dating a bass player for 5 years in my youth. I love my husband for never telling me not to sing cause I can't carry a tune and he acts like he doesn't know that.

Christine

The only "organization" I do to my music (all digitized) is I keep only what I like. I play it alphabetically by title, giving me a nice scramble of genres, tempos, etc.

I don't have a huge collection but what I do have was put on to itunes and a few shuffles a while back. Anymore I am content to stream Pandora, iheart or tunein. Movies I do not tend to watch over and over so I had even fewer of those.

We started collecting movies we want to see again for our trip and making sure we don't wantch them before we go so that they will be fresh. There is so much on Netflix and other offerings these days to watch instead so this will work out fine. I haven't counted them but I have a lot - no plans to put them in digital format. I currently keep them (without the plastic) and the paper packaging keeping them from rubbing together) in an insulated Trader Joe's bag with handles. The only digitalization is I am working on listing the titles so that we can easily decide what to watch and find it easy by leaving them in alphabetical order. Mine are in baggies with A-Z tabs so finding say, Rocky Horror Picture Show (a Halloween tradition) is as easy as finding the R between Q and S.

I am a HUGE music fanatic, and I mean huge! If I don't have music in my life on a daily basis I would probably get depressed. hahaha

During my recent "get rid of everything" phase to get on the road, I donated boxes full of hundreds of cd's. I now have a full iPod and I stream my Amazon Prime music or iHeartRadio. Regarding movies, I saved a couple dvd's of movies that I never tire of for those days where I just want to watch a movie. I also love to read and had at least a hundred books of every genre but donated them all except about a dozen that I just didn't have the heart to part with. That may still be too many to hold onto but will cross that bridge when I get to it. I also have a Kindle full of books I've been waiting to read.

Basically, I can't wait until I'm finally on the road and I have plenty of entertainment to keep me company on those days that I'm stuck in the vehicle and 99% is in digital format so not taking up space.

When I got my first Macbook I uploaded all my CD's to itunes, hundreds of them, and bought a bunch more. Donated a bunch of the CD's and kept maybe a hundred... then I got to be one of those casualties of the Apple iphone "bricking" episode in 2015. Loooooooong story short, my account is gone and my music is unrecoverable (Apple can KMA).

So now I listed to the radio, the few CD's I have left and whatever I run across on youtube when I have good wifi.

Cheli said:
I am a HUGE music fanatic, and I mean huge!  If I don't have music in my life on a daily basis I would probably get depressed.  hahaha  

During my recent "get rid of everything" phase to get on the road, I donated boxes full of hundreds of cd's.  I now have a full iPod and I stream my Amazon Prime music or iHeartRadio.  Regarding movies, I saved a couple dvd's of movies that I never tire of for those days where I just want to watch a movie.  I also love to read and had at least a hundred books of every genre but donated them all except about a dozen that I just didn't have the heart to part with.  That may still be too many to hold onto but will cross that bridge when I get to it.  I also have a Kindle full of books I've been waiting to read.  

Basically, I can't wait until I'm finally on the road and I have plenty of entertainment to keep me company on those days that I'm stuck in the vehicle and 99% is in digital format so not taking up space.
I love my Kindle although these days I only read usually when I'm in a waiting room or some such thing (having coffee alone, etc.).  BUT I have been adding books to it for my trip later.  It is so cool we can have so much information and entertainment in such small packages

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
I love my Kindle although these days I only read usually when I'm in a waiting room or some such thing (having coffee alone, etc.).  BUT I have been adding books to it for my trip later.  It is so cool we can have so much information and entertainment in such small packages

It is pretty fantastic.  However I fear that we get so dependent on digital data that if there was ever an emergency and we didn't have access to it then we'd be in trouble.  I keep saying I need to print hard copies of important information and keep in a small fireproof lock box.

Sorry to hear that Q...
I have never put trust in "cloud" storage.
You are proof of why , I've heard that story too many times...........

I've had lots of people laugh at me about it but he who laughs last...................

( I've posted this here a while back but thought for the benefit of newcomers..and to comment on cloud reliability.)

A portable HDD is cheap enough.
2 TB is usually less than 75 bucks , 4TB is about 125 !

A 32GB Flash Drive will hold a huge amount of music , hell even a 4GB holds more than I can listen to in a day.

I have a bunch of MP3 players that are very cheap these days. And can load a days worth in in a few minutes on each of them , some just have play lists I like and when one battery dies I just switch to another.

I also have a couple of cheap smartphones that I never activated with music on them too as well as apps that I can use stand alone or with wi-fi.

I also have a lot of music videos of live performances or just official video files.

Then there is the huge amount that I had to memorize to play at shows that is instant access , no batteries required.
I just have to think of a song and it starts playing in my head. The only problem with this method is sometimes I can't shut it OFF ! Plus side , nobody has ever complained about the volume !

The HDD and Flash Drives also apply to movie storage.

AND I have a couple of CD wallets with CDs and DVD's as final backup.(I live in a classC so there is a little more space for doing this but they are more for proving I own the rights to the content if the pirate police ever come a knockin' (And sometimes I just give one away if someone is talking about something that they wish they could hear , or see again !)