Duraflame Heater To Kitchen Cupboard

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadtripsAndCampfires

Reaction score
I am trying to add the photos here and it may take a post or two to figure it out.

As some of you know, I (1) am turning a cargo trailer into an RV and (2) my kitchen counter/sink is a modular unit from IkEA weighing 44 pounds for the frame, sink and counter and (3) my goal is to make the entire trailer as light as possible while bringing everything i want and need for a 2 year trip with hubby and (4) the current inside theme is metal/steampunk.

(I want to show you how this kitchen cupboard turned out.  I figured my Duraflame heater which we've had for 8 years  the other one already died) would sell for $20 at a garage sale.  Then I'd spend $30 or so on materials to build a cupboard and make it out of wood.  That's six pieces of wood for top, bottom, 2 sides, front and  back.  A little heavy.   Or I'd find a metal one and spend $40-50 on it.

I ended up removing the legs on this heater after Wayne gutted the inner heater/log/electrical things inside of it.  It fits exactly where it should and looks great.  It holds all metal:  2 french presses (we each get our own), 1 pewter wine glass (I'm the only drinker - occassionally), 2 jars with Stainless Steel Covers for holding tea bags; and a percolator coffee pot for heating water or making coffee.

The cupboard without the contents weighs 12 pounds.  The contents weigh about 7.5 pounds.  It all fits right on that shelf which is deeper then th cupboard leaving a space behind it.  The bathroom is off to the left so that space will be accessed from there and hold taller shampoo bottles, etc.

This inspired me to empty a 2-drawer light-weight file cabinet and replace a plastic cupboard I had under the sink.  The top drawer holds measring cups/spoons, utinsels and our SS 16-oz drinking cups.  The bottom fits pans.  Oh - we are going to make a silverware/knife drawer on the shelf above the Duraflame heater cupboard.  Compact.  The 2-burner stove is stored below the heater cupboard next to the wire rack holding the pan lids.  The dog food container and trash can shown in the photo (if I get it posted) will have a slim 3-tier roll cart that will hold fruits and veggies.

Thought this would give some of you cooks out there some fun ideas.  What you don't see in this photo is our portable Camp Chef one burner, one grill 2-rack propane oven.

FOOD TASTES BETTER OUTDOORS, EH?

Attachments

• Duraflame Cupboard 2 SM.JPG
    Duraflame Cupboard 2 SM.JPG
    313.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts