Johnson insulated truck bodies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seav

Reaction score
Anybody know anyone driving one of these around? The 19 footers are the best insulated reefer boxes, with a full six inches of foam all around – and triple swing doors. Rock solid! I’ve thought about it, but the super-heavy unit and coldplates would have to be removed first – not easy.

I've thought about that too. Bonus points for figuring out how to reverse the flow on the super heavy unit and use it as a heat pump!

I almost bought a surplus "mobile morgue" at government auction, cherry condition in every way, my bid missed by $400.

The main downside IMO would be weight / mpg issues, and of course very limited stealth outside of industrial settings

One upside is that you will never be alone if you have one - because of all the ghosts that might inhabit a vehicle that carried so many corpses.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to convert one. It would be a conversation piece for sure. I wonder what the ghosts would have to say about it?

Even if you say you don't believe in ghosts and hauntings, do you really want to test your theory - alone in the woods at night, with that 6 inch insulation muting your screams?

Ha, Ha, Ha! (Diabolical laughter.)

Chip

I absolutely do not believe in ghosts (really?)

but in this case it had never been used, was a "just in case" standby unit for some agency's disaster preparedness.