Job Opportunity

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMooney

Reaction score
I'm going to do what I'm going to be talking about when I get set up . I have experience with it . I want to share with you. Commercial buildings being built are not the responsibility of the owner . YET. Sure there is new building insurance that covers structure only. Other than that the owner is not involved. Everyone has a contract price to build it by their trade. What you may not know is the contractors have their own materials and tools and equipment on the job site. They carry the electric wire in trailers for example for it's not been installed.  The contractor owns the wire. It's like that on a lot of things . Most of the time the general contractor will own all the building material plus tools equipment etc. There can easily be over a million dollars in equipment on the job such as cranes and such.  I think you know where I'm going with this. If I have a plain unmarked van or storage trailer or both and sleep there with cameras I'm going to stop the theft. I'm going to do it a lot cheaper than a security company.  I'll have to travel and live on site stealth. I will have to get some results if something gets ripped off. If I dont I should be fired. I want a long relationship . I dont want to get fired . So I will do my job to the best of my ability. That's worth what I will ask of them.

You might be able to find some smaller project where this would work but I would think most companies would want to hire a local,established security company instead of someone just passing through.

You would probably need to get licensed, bonded and/or pay for insurance,too.

"You would probably need to get licensed, bonded and/or pay for insurance,too."

yep.

also those jobs that I have been on in the past the night guard had to be up all night making rounds. they couldn't sleep at night they had to sleep during the day when we were there making a ton of noise.

highdesertranger

I was a commercial sub contractor working those types of jobs most of my career. I said I had experience with it . But I think what I'm offering needs explained so I havent done a good job yet. I'll answer that part . I'm only offering to be there at night with a van or cargo trailer. I'll be there two shifts . I wont walk the grounds. I'll just be there watching with my own video cameras to watch out side from inside. I want water and electric and of course I'll have a place to live doing it that I can heat and cool with their electric. I want 100 per week cash . That can be check but no with holdings. That's dirt cheap . Securities charge minimal 25 per hour per person. Normally contractors dont hire securities because of the price . I havent been all over so you might be right say in huge cities or high crime areas . But they cant cover it all even then price gets in the way. I left price out because I offered the information . It's up to the individual what they want to work for. I'm disabled retired. That dirt cheap price works for me but I'm not able to work. If I was able to work I would want more money doing something else.

Part of seeking a position not open is sales. I traveled job to job asking for a job. I was a sub contractor. All I did was stay there long enough to meet with General Contactor or his Super. They either needed a bid or they didnt. Then I was on my way to the next job to do it all over again. I dont plan on changing methods because its always worked. The GC calls all the shots at that point.

I was a super on a poultry contractors job. We were having trouble with theft. I hired a man to just watch the entry cash money . Thief was caught the third night. I owned a farmers market I took over for my sick dad . I started having breakins. Police were no help . The thieves were watching the police !!! So I slept in the store . I had my wife take the truck home. It looked like no one was there. 5 nights later I heard the break in start and called the police. They came from every direction. Their canine took him down running.. I had rather catch them . There's another theory to scare them off like junk yards do with dogs and securities making rounds. Thieves just dont bother. They bother elsewhere. But anyway you could post a doberman out side at night and make him sleep during the day. But then they find out where its owner stays in this case.

Some of you stealth park and have jobs in the town you are staying in. This is really an option for them not boondockers. Boondockers are a different breed so I'm thinking. I know it's different from what I want but I want the van life my way. I care about cell service ,tv, shopping at Walmart, electric , water,being able to go to McDonald's if i want to, go to a gym for 15 per month and get a hot shower, have police protection. And most importantly be close to a hospital because of my bad health. Everyone wants different things.

Of course as a security company you will need to be covered by an insurance bond otherwise it would be a risk for them to have you providing such an onsite service. What you are suggesting means that the general contractor is the one to pay you but general contractors hire subs and the subs themselves also need to be licensed and bonded companies. So you need a business license, insurance, etc. A security company sub would be the one to provide all the equipment and do all the installation of the equipment. Also you will be having to report that income to the state and pay taxes on it. Your $100.00 a week won't really net you anything. Plus you will be trying to sleep during the day at a noisy construction site. You need to rethink this plan and take all the factors into account.

Your dwelling could then be a business expense and a tax write off. However I don't believe your initial estimate of $100 a week will cover your expenses. Being Bonded with Insurance would cost you more than that. Not that I believe you are actually looking to make a profit. But I think you would be in the RED. Best to make a business plan. Come up with quotes & estimates for your overhead and then re-appraise the situation. I understand exactly what you want to do. But things aren't as easy as they once were lot of legalities in anything these days. You would even have to get commercial insurance on your vehicles any contractor worth their salt isn't going to let you on the property without the appropriate Bonds & Insurance or They could be held liable if anything happened to you on the property.

Perhaps some of the larger outfits might higher you on as part of there own crew and this would be your job and covered by their insurance. But that would be a long shot these days I think.

Some of the RV storage yards and storage unit places would work for you. They often have residential managers on site. Most of them have people working the days but they do need some night time security as well. At least you won't be having to do so much paperwork as the day shift. They will also likely already have on site cameras with computer monitoring set up.

I never thought about being bonded. I've been under bound before and it's a security bond to perform. It's a bond if you dont perform then they take the bond. That's mostly common with schools. I'm still scratching my head yall see a bond. Since I'm being paid I can see a business license if it falls under that depending on location. Poster was right. I'm not trying to make any money I set 100 because if I didnt want something I would appear a weirdo. But I will be on the road and I can make at least one stop a day. It does solve all concerns if I just did it free and stated why. It would be volunteering.

Insurance companies run the world. And insurance companies demand that security services for job sites they insure meet certain legal minimums, such as state-certified perso el who have received state-mandated training and passed state-mandated minimum background benchmarks. To that end, only state-licensed security agencies will ever satisfy the insurance company demands. Any builder that hires anything/anyone less than these minimum standards risks their insurance provider refusing to cover any claims because the insured did not live up to the contractual stipulations set forth in the written agreement when the policy was created.

However, if you are able to pass the minimum requirements to beco e a security officer in the state you seek to do your thing,...there are indeed unique job sites at remote locations where an agency would LOVE to have someone with an rv or campervan who could work some double shifts or such.

Large construction jobs usually have plenty of people working on the job that want to camp on the property. A lot of trades people travel from job to job in their own RV. Truck Campers used to be real popular with them. If a company were to allow you to stay there on site, they would be legally responsible for anything that you did. Few companies would welcome added liability.