Job offer in SoCal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
So I've been offered a job filpping burgers at an RV resort in SoCal. It's 10hrs/week for a FHU, plus $10/hr after that. The park caters to a younger crowd, so that's good for me. :) Also it has laundry, a pool and showers for use by employees and guests.

The owners seem really nice and laid-back, open to me leaving after a while if I don't like it, which is also good.

Now the bad. They said I'd typically work 30-40hours a week. I guess that's not that bad, as I'll get paid after 10hours/week, but still I wanted this vandwelling experience to be one where I work less than 40 hours a week.

Also a bit concerning, is it's in the middle of the desert, 30 miles to the closest major grocery store. Again, maybe it's not that bad...I'm conflicted if you can't tell. :)

Anyway, I'm leaning towards accepting it as it's a paid gig, in SoCal for the winter, which is what I really wanted.

I have to let them know by tomorrow (Friday, December 5), so for those who see this post today, any thoughts or suggestions? Any questions I should ask them before I accept?

What's the worst that can happen - you take the job, figure out that 30 to 40 hours a week is more than you want to work or that you don't like the area and you tender your resignation.

I can appreciate not wanting to work that many hours - I'm trying to be semi-retired as well but the work keeps piling up and I'm conscientious enough to keep doing it...sigh!

Maybe it's a chance to live cheap, stockpile a savings account and spend the winter in a nice location.

Doesn't hurt to try it. Might open other possibilities...

What the worse that can happen? You make some $$, meet some people, move on when you're ready, maybe you should try to work out a deal closer to that 30 hrs than the 40 variety.

A few variables you will want to consider:

PROS:
1. It IS in SoCal during the winter, which is a great place to be in a van if you don't have adequate heating.
2. Flipping burgers for an RV resort is a LOT better than flipping burgers at a restaurant.
3. You will probably meet a lot of cool people, and most of them will be repeat customers from the RV resort. That way you can build a report and eventually benefit from that.
4. SHOWERS!
5. You don't have to drive to go to work, get paid at least $200 a week, and have a free place to stay no questions asked.
6. You can probably get free burgers out of the deal, too.

CONS:
1. You're in the middle of the desert in SoCal, so dust storms can ruin a good day or week.
2. You can work up to 40 hours a week, sure, but at least you'll be paid $300 instead of $200
3. Under cooked food is BAD
4. You're a long way away from grocery... 60 miles round trip at average 15mpg = 4 gallons of gas = around $12 in gas for one trip. Making this haul once a week isn't bad, but can get pricey multiples times a week. This is assuming at least 15mpg and $3 gas. More costly gas or less MPG changes this quite a bit.
5. You're in SoCal for the winter... And the winters there can still get into the 90's, which means you don't have to worry about adequate heating, but instead adequate cooling.
6. The same people you can grow beneficial relationships with can also be disbeneficial. Some people may grow to dislike you for any reason, as is the nature of humans.

I believe these marks are fair points that you can consider, there may be more or less of each pro or con, but at least you have a good deciding point.

If it were me, 200 to 300 a week definitely beats my need for not wanting to work 40 hours a week. That's some good saving money for not having to pay for a place to park. Since money runs the world (literally), you need it. It'll also help if you run into problems later on, get tickets, etc. Spending $300 a month in living expenses potentially saves you $500 a month in pure savings.

I think this is an opportunity as mentioned by others. Your gonna get to know some folks, put money in the bank and when it's done,move on comfortably with that money cushion.
Being it's in so cal and your in a burger joint, if you do let me know where, I'll be buy for a burger and a chat.

Take Care Mike R

If the business owner is open to it try to get long shifts like 12 hr shifts and work only 2 or 3 times a week leaving 4 days off. Or maybe weekend shifts are hard to fill and offer to work weekends only for more time off.

Not everyone gets a pay job for the winter.
And Winter's not really what I would call traveling season, too few places above freezing. I think of winter as the season to stop in a good place for a couple/few months. After that, if I've had a pay job, I'm on the move all Spring/Summer before I start thinking of any work other than the constaint odd-jobs for coin.

It's also my "do somethings to the rig" season.

If you don't want the job, let me know, maybe I'll take it.

Just kidding, but I would. There's nothing wrong with money. And you'll meet people. They'll invite you over for dinner, and you'll be able to eat on the job. Grocery store a long way off? Sell beer on the side to other guests. It sounds like a real sweet deal.

I just got a second offer! This one is in a city in SoCal near the ocean! But it's no pay.

Does it just go without saying that there is no problem with having the dog?

If so, I'd do it. Everything to gain and nothing to lose. But, this summer I'd go up to the Sierras at a National Forest campground where you get paid for every hour and a free site.
Bob

just curious where is this rv resort that caters to younger people but is 30 miles from a store in so cal? if you don't want to say that's cool. but what town is the store in? I am kinda of leery on this one. highdesertanger

highdesertranger said:
just curious where is this rv resort that caters to younger people but is 30 miles from a store in so cal? if you don't want to say that's cool. but what town is the store in? I am kinda of leery on this one. highdesertanger

Glamis area?

Fountain of Youth Spa RV Resort south east end of Salton Sea. 25 miles from Calipatria. 32 miles from Mecca.

Then again I could be wrong LOL.

Mike

I've been by there, `course I was going to the Slabs ;)

Anywhere near the Salton Sea is a minor day drive to shopping and stuff. ..IMHO
Slabs w hot spring n music are close as Low Tech said. ..
I no longer work tho I would advise giving it a shot. Save what you can leave when you are ready and perhaps soon another'right for you' situation will come up.

Latest posts