jet packs and reception at RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
couple of questions.

1.  what's the difference between a $50 jet pack/hot spot and a $200 jet pack.

2.  Bob or who ever knows.  do you need a signal booster at RTR.  I have Verizon.

highdesertranger

I don't know the difference between the hotspot/jetpack. But you don't need a booster.

However, the internet really bogs down for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. The one tower gets really overloaded.

HDR, depending on your phone, with Verizon you can make the phone a hotspot. I can say for sure that the Samsung Galaxy S4 does, but can't speak for others. This feature could save you some $$
Last year we took a straight talk jet pack on verizon towers. We had good reception with it.

no I have a mil spec dumb phone, no hot spot for it. I just want to connect my lap top to the net while on the road. highdesertranger

I am no expert on this, but here's my thoughts anyway...

Would upgrading your phone to one that would allow it to be a hot spot, be a better solution? One less thing to carry...

Just a thought...

I get 2 bars of 4g LTE without a booster, 4 bars with the Wilson Sleek and it's small antenna and 5 bars with the bigger directional antenna. It might be the best signal I've gotten anywhere.
Bob

I'm confused. I thought Verizon did not allow use of their phones as a hotspot for other devices?

Don't they now charge you extra for each device?

Maybe I'm a change or two behind. It's been a few years since I went to the Verizon store and found out my slightly old hotspot (looks just like the cheaper one HDR linked to) would add about $80 to my bill .. over and above my phone.

I have been using StraightTalk's separate hotspot because they sell data at $10 per GB. And that was the cheapest way to go I found that also used Verizon towers.

darn,i thought hdr was going to ride a jetpack at the reception of rtr

WriterMs said:
I'm confused. I thought Verizon did not allow use of their phones as a hotspot for other devices?

On all the metered plans they allow it. I believe they don't care if you use a tether hack on the old unlimited plans either. It's super easy on Android phones to get around any tethering restrictions. It may be different if you are on a prepaid plan  or a verizon reseller.

I have used my SIII on Verizon as a hot spot for my laptop.  Very handy for the week my home DSL box was down.  Ate data like starved horse though!

I have 3 problems with the smart type phones. one is they are not very tough, I would break one in fairly short order. 2 they get poor reception in fringe areas compared with my phone. 3 those little screens are hard to see with my old eyes, which means I must use my lap top anyway. one other thing they are to big and bulky to carry as a phone. highdesertranger

I must ask.  

Does anyone know how the AT&T service is at this site ?

Thank you

highdesertranger said:
I have 3 problems with the smart type phones.  one is they are not very tough,  I would break one in fairly short order.  2 they get poor reception in fringe areas compared with my phone.  3 those little screens are hard to see with my old eyes,  which means I must use my lap top anyway.  one other thing they are to big and bulky to carry as a phone.  highdesertranger

Can I ask which model mil-spec phone you are using?  I'm currently looking at the Kyocera Brigadier, which is a mil-spec Android smart phone, but I'd be interested in hearing about alternatives.  Thanks.

Regards
John

highdesertranger said:
mines a Casio G'zOne. it's a dumb phone. but it's the toughest, best preforming phone I have ever owned. before this phone I ruined several.

Amazon spec sheet shows your phone weighs 1.2 pounds?!? that's like over 4 of my smart phones...what's in there? Does mil-spec require that is also function as a lethal projectile as needed? :D

highdesertranger:

I have the Verizon MHS291L hot spot.  It is a great: solid connectivity, easy to use and track your data use & long battery life.  Can be connected to external antennas.  I bought it outright from Verizon as a refurb a few months ago so that I can turn the service off when I am not on the road and also not be obligated to a two year contract. Another plus with our Casio GzOne phones as smartphone users must have data service at all times.  It costs me $30 per month for 5 gigs plus $20 access fee plus unreasonable taxes since i am in California.

The links that you gave for the two hotspots had prepaid in their URL's.  I contacted Verizon a few min ago and found out that yes you can get 5 gigs of prepaid data on a hotspot for $60.  Not sure if there is an access fee on top of that...

The MHS291L is NLA thru Verizon but can be bought for cheap on ebay or Amazon. Verizon will provide a SIM card and activate one for you.  Or pretty much any other hotspot that is locked to their system for that matter.

Do you have the charging cradle for your phone?  Every other GzOne that I see being used by folks has the little waterproof door to the micro USB port missing from all the open &  close cycles to charge.  Luckily I noticed the two brass contacts on the side of the phone and that clued me into the fact that there is a charging cradle.

Happy trails

Latest posts