Iwatani butane stove - opinions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
Anyone have opinions on this heavy duty Iwatani butane stove?<br><br><a href="http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-000BTU-Portable-Butane-Stove/dp/B00522F2R2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-000BTU-Portable-Butane-Stove/dp/B00522F2R2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top</a><br><br>Seems to me this type of setup is more convenient versus my Coleman single burner stove for 2 main reasons:<br><br>1) The Iwatani stove&nbsp;has the button to press for the flame to come on, versus&nbsp;my Coleman stove&nbsp;that requires a lighter which is a hassle.<br><br>2) The Iwatani stove uses a butane cannister that is INSIDE the unit under the lid which is very convenient, versus the Coleman stove that requires the pipe to be screwed into the unit, and the propane cannister is outside the unit which makes it less compact.<br><br>The Iwatani stove is rated at 15,000 BTUs of heat, and reviews say it can easily heat up a wok for stir frying.&nbsp; Seems really cool to me.<br><br>So should I get this Iwatani stove and ditch my Coleman single burner propane stove?&nbsp; Only small (or not so small) hassle is that butane cans aren't as easy to get at local retail stores versus propane.&nbsp; But I've been told you can easily buy butane cannisters at large box stores.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Casey

i was in local wall mart. no butane. plenty propane.<br>The question should be, buy this or a new propane stove with auto light.

<h3 class="r"><a href="http://www.coleman.com/Products/2010/propane-stoves" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Coleman - <em>Propane Stoves</em></a></h3><div class="s"><div><div class="f kv" style="white-space: nowrap;"><cite class="bc">www.coleman.com › <a href="http://www.coleman.com/Products/2000" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Stoves</a></cite>‎</div><span class="st"><span class="f">Results 1 - 19 of 19 – </span><em>Propane stoves</em> are perfect for <em>camping</em>, hunting or backyard cookouts. Coleman.com has a large selection of <em>propane stoves</em>.</span></div></div>

Stick with propane. butane will freeze to soon and is hard to get. There is heavy duty, pro cook versions of propane. I have found that the burners will need replacing on the cheep stoves in about a year of full usage. <br><br>James AKA Lynx

Butane will freeze?&nbsp; In what degree weather?&nbsp; Where I am, the coldest it gets is maybe around 35F degrees in the winter, otherwise around 55 to 60F most of the time.&nbsp; I was thinking of getting&nbsp;the aforementioned butane stove for its convenience (eg: built-in starter and enclosed butane cannister) for doing simple things like boiling water for tea or coffee.&nbsp; <br><br>By the way, I already have different Coleman brand propane stoves and BBQ grills.

be caerful with butane their have ben cases were a big pan was used and deflected the heat onto the canster department and the canster got to hot and exploed. and never leave the canster in the stove after use even if you release the canster I learned this the hard way.

Seems like a lot of negatives with the butane. What you're after is compact and self starting, if you run a propane line from a 20# bottle to the stove and you can get a bunson burner lighter (you know from high school science class) then you'd be set.

Sooooooo, butane cannisters and butane powered stoves are not safe compared to propane powered?<br><br>Casey<br><br>

<p>As far as I know, the only reason people choose Butane over Propane is because the boiling point is quite a bit different. Butane does not require such a thick container to keep it under pressure.&nbsp; This makes it a lighter, more convenient fuel for backpacking, or any time weight is an issue.&nbsp; Most butane fuels are actually a combination of different fuels and I think it's called IsoButane. The reason for mixing fuels is to get a lighter weight container, and still be able to use it in cold weather. (we're talking 10 degrees or colder)<br><br>I started with a butane stove because it was smaller and easier to carry, but now have a single burner propane stove because the fuel in half the price and you can buy it just about anywhere.<br><br>I will be holding onto the butane stove because it fits in my pocket, is lightweight,&nbsp;and goes anywhere.</p>

well you asked for opinions&nbsp; so here's mine.&nbsp; butane is allot more expensive &nbsp;than propane.&nbsp; it is allot harder to find.&nbsp; it becomes useless at about 25 degrees at sea level but you will notice a drop in performance at about 35 degrees, &nbsp;note this is at sea level as you add elevation the temp goes up.&nbsp; this is not even mentioning the safety issues others have brought up.&nbsp; so imho there is no comparison between propane and butane.&nbsp; another note propane also has issues with cold but it's much lower.&nbsp; I have used propane at -5 little performance drop but still worked.&nbsp; coleman, camp chef, and optimus all make electric ignition propane stoves.&nbsp; I believe coleman and camp chef make retro fit kits for electric ignition.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Most Aian food markets carry butane stoves and the fuel cannisters. Here in Thailand there everywhere and used alot, the quality is the same and they cost less, including the fuel.

Here in Texas, almost every single gas station, mart, and shopping center will have propane.<br><br>BlueRhino, Amerigas, etc.<br><br>There is no reason to have butane when the propane is coming out of my ears!

Here's an update. I finally decided to buy this Iwatai butane powered portable stove. Got it from Amazon for around $85.00 and just tested it a couple times.<br><br>Verdict: &nbsp;This is a seriously FANTASTIC piece of appliance. MUCH better than my Coleman stoves! &nbsp;This sucker is extremely well made, puts out a whopping 15,000 BTUs, doesn't get very hot to the touch, and the simmer mode works well too.<br><br>Here's the kicker for why I like this Iwatani better than my Coleman stoves. In one word, "Convenience"! With the Iwatani stove, everything is pretty much self contained within the main unit. Whereas it's a freakin hassle (IMHO) for me to set up my Coleman stove. With the Coleman stove, I need literally 4 pieces of items to cook. I need the actual stove of course, plus the silly pipe thing that screws into the stove, plus the propane cannister that screws into the pipe that screws into the stove. Worse, I then have to find one of my long matches to light the Coleman stove while turning the button to the on position.<br><br>Contrast the above description to how the Iwatani stove works:<br>Just open the lid of the compartment that holds the 8 once butane cannister, then insert a butane cannister into the compartment on the right side and close the lid. &nbsp;Then simply move the dial button all the way down to the ON position which will automatically start the flame to turn on (NO match/lighter required!!). &nbsp;Then move dial down lower as needed for lower flame. Even more cool is that I can store the same 8 once butane cannister inside the compartment within the stove by simply detaching the cannister, placing the cap back on, then storing the cannister BACKWARDS inside the compartment!). &nbsp;Sooooooo convenient!<br><br>Seriously, the aforementioned description is so much easier to use the Iwatani stove versus having to assemble the Coleman stove using various separate pieces and then needing a stupid match to light. &nbsp;The Iwatani stove is virtually a no-brainer one step operation for having a fast and hot flame within seconds. &nbsp;Plus the Iwantani stove comes with its own carry case for easy transportation and storage.&nbsp;<br><br>Obviously the one major downside is that it's harder to find 8 ounce butane cannisters, but it's not impossible. Heck, I even ordered 8 once butane cannisters to have delivered to my mailbox directly from Amazon! &nbsp;Plus butane cannisters are CHEAP compared to propane cannisters, albeit the 8 once butane cannisters last a shorter time. &nbsp;But the primary thing I will be using the Iwantani stove for is to quickly heat up a large kettle of water for making tea and coffee. Literally takes a few short minutes because the flame can go up to a 15,000 BTUs for fasting cooking. &nbsp;<br><br>Sorry for sounding like a TV commercial, but I'm hugely impressed by this Iwatani stove! &nbsp;I don't get impressed too easily either! &nbsp;I'm thinking of buying a second one now. &nbsp;Hope this information might be useful for anyone else thinking of getting this. You won't regret it.<br><br>Casey<br><br><br>

By the way, I just bought a 2nd one of this Iwatani stove! Found it at a local Chinese restaurant supply store. Plus got a 4 pack of butane cannisters for only $4.25. I'm happy now, haha!