I've been visited by the police twice in three days...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had rangers knock on the door and say "Just checking if you're ok". And like Noodles, it usually occurs when I'm taking a nap. But probably also sniffing for marajoewanna smoke.

slow2day said:
I love how they never find a bogus reason to arrest you (NOT)

But they do look for reasons to search you and your vehicle so they can arrest you.  I say as little as possible to them.  Where you coming from?  Where are you going?  None of their business.  This is where I am now.

I have a squeeky clean record except for speeding violations.

Then you have never talked to the police in the manner you claim.

B and C said:
But they do look for reasons to search you and your vehicle so they can arrest you. 

Isn't that just the opposite of what you said in #17?

I think my brain got ahead of my typing and I didn't proofread. Befriend a LEO (had a sheriff deputy as a neighbor). Ask them what pressures they are under. They may not have a quota per se but don't write enough tickets and answer for why not. They always touch the back of your vehicle on approach to leave their fingerprints, usually the tailight. Watch next time. When they ask :do you know how fast you were going(?)", They are wanting you to tell them how big a number to put on your ticket(that's called a confession and will stand up in court). When they look into your window and ask for your papers, watch as they look the inside of your vehicle over. This has two purposes, the first is for their safety and the second is to see if there is anything illegal exposed. They ask questions trying to catch you in a lie. Ever asked yourself why they ask where you are coming from and going to? Trying to gauge if you are impaired in anyway which is a judgment call on their part. Act a little confused, outta the car you go for that sobriety check and more questions. Hope you didn't just wake up and start driving. All kinds of little stuff. If you think you can talk yourself out of a ticket, by all means roll over. If you know you're gonna get a ticket no matter what, shut up. If they press and an answer is required, answer "I don't answer questions". There is a 5th amendment right to not self incriminate. If you notice too, when there are two of them, one stands on each side of the car. They then try to get you to roll down the window on both sides so they can smell for MJ.

B and C said:
They always touch the back of your vehicle on approach to leave their fingerprints, usually the tailight.  Watch next time.

Why do they want to leave their fingerprint on my van?

I spent a really nasty Winter night in a New York state rest stop a few years ago. Low of -10, snowing hard. I was bundled up and pretty comfortable so I slept in late. Around 10am I wake up to my door being opened by a cop. I never heard a knock, but I had earplugs in and was deep asleep so it's possible I missed it. He said he had to look in because he thought there would be a dead body inside. I didn't fully understand the logic but wasn't really awake enough to question it and simply assured him that I was plenty warm until he opened the door. I guess it's good that the door was unlocked or he might have tried to break in.

All “they” want is a nice pleasant safe shift so they can go home. 

An arrest means paperwork and the related fallout.  If they don’t check you out and you happen to go on and cause problems, it is their neck.

Most of the time LE officers are told to make “transient” people “move along”. One of the easiest methods is to do a “welfare check”. 99% of the time the recipient will move along and the officer gets to look like a caring person rather then a jack boot thug.

Forest Rangers don't think you might be dead they want to see you so they can start the 14-day count down.

I deleted a couple of post. do I need to go further? I hope not. highdesertranger

Well, my welfare check was just that.

I was not told to move, and in fact was specifically told it was okay to spend the night where I was.

I have been awakened in the night and told to move a few times, but never under the guise of a welfare check.

WanderingRose said:
I have been awakened in the night and told to move a few times, but never under the guise of a welfare check.

x2

Reducto said:
He said he had to look in because he thought there would be a dead body inside. I didn't fully understand the logic..

There have been cases in cold weather where people have left their vehicle running to stay warm and snow drifts block the exhaust system.

This then leads to CO poisoning and death. The car runs until it's out of gas, so it's just sitting there.

Wow, I’m kinda shocked at the responses here. I’m always glad when law enforcement or security stop their day to check on me. I’m alone except for a dog and I’ve had a lot of health problems. I’m grateful anyone bothers. I get the feeling sometimes they’re getting a feel for me like am I dangerous, a bother, might act out or harass people etc but that’s the price you pay when you sleep in public.

Ugggh, that is just so frustrating. A couple weeks ago someone called in a welfare check on my son under the guise of "wanting to make sure we were alright". After showing the officers my box of food, many sleeping bags, his brand new clothes, diapers, wipes, milk, and playing 20 questions they left me alone. The thing is, if someone GENUINELY wanted to "make sure you're alright" they would come up to you and ask you! Like Bob says, always know where you came from and where you're going. My BS story is that I am traveling to my grandma's house in California and where I can from, well that really depends on the highway I am on ? Helps to get the coppers out of your hair quicker.