It begins!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman81

Reaction score
Hello my dear friends!!  

It finally begins!  Some of you out there may have already been following my story already, like @GotSmart (thanks again @GotSmart your feedback was very helpful!!).  My electrical plans are now completed so I'd like to share with you folks for feedback and ideas if you have any!  Here are the requirements:

1. Main power source:  dedicated 2nd alternator (170A at engine idle, 200A max)
2. Secondary power source:  3 × 60A customer connection points powering a Cotek SP-2000 inverter plugged into the AC1 input of a Victron Quattro 12/5000 inverter/charger programmed to accept 13VAC maximum resulting 143.5A DC maximum current draw accounting for ~90% inverter efficiency running at 1560W
3. Solarless:  314A available contiuosly from alternator power sources at idle without increasing idle speed (394A maximum) but 5 × 120w solar panels at 22% efficiency producing 8A each in a 4.5 sun hour day is only 180A, so you can make up not having solar in roughly 30 mins of driving maybe a little bit more depending on various inefficiencies, which is not even the daily commute 
4. Balqon - HQ12-18K, which is a 1500Ah 12V LFP battery bank, continuous charge/discharge rating of 700A

Main operation:

1. Engine run turns on the Quattro to charge mode and shorts it's AUX1 input, which is programmed to turn on the Cotek inverter via the alarm relay and connect the field current from the alternator regulator to the 2nd alternator via relay k1 and a Cole Hersee solid state relay, unless temperature compensated voltage read via T-SENSE is greater than 14.2V (about 90-95% charged)
2. Inverter/charger remote power switch turns on the Quattro to inverter/charger mode
3. Emergency remote power switch turns on Quattro in inverter/charger mode and shorts it's AUX2 input, which is programmed to turn on the Cotek inverter, unless voltage is greater than 14.2V, to draw power for the inverter and charger from 12V auxiliary starter battery, allowing primary starter battery to stay charged
4. Quattro inverter disables itself when sensed voltage is less than 13.2V (80% DoD)
5. Victron BMV-702 disconnects 12V DC distribution panel via Cole Hersee solid state relay and Victron alarm relay when sensed voltage is less than 13.2V
6. If failure occurs, Balqon BMS system will go into high voltage shutdown at 15.2V or under voltage shutdown at 10.4V and disconnect the field current going to the 2nd alternator 

Thanks everyone in advance and let me know if there are any questions!  I think I'm still missing a few things from the attached diagram like some fuses, main disconnect switch...  

Also thanks to Bruce over at OceanPlanet Energy (http://www.bruceschwab.com) for answering my questions!

Attachments

• a1.png
    a1.png
    74 KB · Views: 26
Hey friends just realized a typo, under requirements, #1 should read "250A max" and #2 should read "...programmed to accept 13A @ 120VAC maximum resulting in 143.5A DC maximum current draw..."

Sorry, wish there was an edit function! Also, here's a link to the wiring diagram for all u non members!

http://www.schematics.com/project/a1-28238/

I will also be posting my Quattro settings soon

Feel free to use these plans just let us know if you have any feedback!