Is your CO alarm working?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
Ours is. It just went off and was up to 93ppm. Someone (I wish I could say "Not me!") didn't open the overhead vent enough tonight.... we've got the Wave 3 heater going as it has been running every night for weeks. 

Nice to know it works.
Ted

For myself I would never run CO producing heat while sleeping. My sleep gear alone keeps me warm.

The one in our Winter stored camper keeps going off (with no power to the camper). After research, it appears that it is at the end of it's life, and needed to be replaced (we did). Each unit has a "born on" date that is usually good for 10 years. Our camper is a 2011, but the unit was a 2009.

WalkaboutTed said:
we've got the Wave 3 heater going as it has been running every night for weeks.

What overnight temps are you dealing with?

I figure when my time is up, it's up. Ive earned the right to say "eff it!".I grew up in Miami/Ft.Lauderdale and then Phoenix/ Tucson and absolutely cannot abide cold. Today everyone was walking around from shirtsleeves to a sweater and I'm in my puffy down coat.

It was 32F this morning when I got up.
Ted

It is worth noting that Carbon Monoxide is not simply deadly, it is toxic. While it can kill you, it can also cause a whole host of other undesirable things like anything else that is toxic (like mercury), like brain damage and organ damage. I imagine most folks here know this, but if not, now you do!

Whenever I look at CO detectors, they say they do not work below 40*F. How do y'all handle that? How many times can they go off and still work? I thought of both these things with my former pickup, but I never had any heat and wouldn't leave it run when not moving.

CO detectors for RV's have a heated sensor, to deal with the colder temps, that is why they are hard wired to the electrical system and not battery powered. highdesertranger

Hooray for your CO detector! So glad you had it and of course you are too.

Wow, lucky that it works well and you had it to begin with, could have been a really dangerous situation if not.

I unplugged our camper during the winter time, while I stored it in our garage. One day we heard an alarm going off and discovered that it was the CO detector because our battery was low. With the CO detector constantly running, we had to leave it plugged in to shore power to get the alarm to go off. On our maiden voyage we ran our battery too low and the CO detector alarm went off in the middle of the night. We had no way to connect to shore power so the only way to turn the alarm off was to cut the wire. As we are prepping for summer camping, I installed a switch so we could turn the unit on and off while camping.....without running the battery during storage.