Is this just a ground wire on a roof rack?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Some of you may recall Sarah who was at the RTR. She bought a van and I'm helping her install solar panels.  She wants to eliminate this rack because it's in the way. I think it's just a roof rack with a ground wire on it, is that correct?

Attachments

• 20170527_141641.jpg
    20170527_141641.jpg
    852.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170527_141611.jpg
    20170527_141611.jpg
    938.9 KB · Views: 24
looks that way,but why? doesnt look factory,is it a fiberglass top with marker lights?

Maybe the PO was using it as some kind of antenna??

That's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense to me!

I'd think about using the existing roof rack to mount the panels on...gives them some air underneath although you'll probably have to engineer mounting brackets for the panels.

I'd guess there was an antenna up there but the rack wasn't the antenna. More likely they were trying to get a ground plane to it as a FG top wouldn't provide that.

Locate the wire where it passes into the vehicle the follow it to see what it's connected to.

it appears to be a ground wire. my guess would be like popeye said they were trying to create a ground plane. there are roof rack antennas but I don't believe that's one of them. highdesertranger

I couldn't chase the wire behind her cabinets/interior and I didn't get a continuity to ground anywhere so we left the rack and installed the panels over it.