Is the OmniLynx Verizon Unlimited Data Plan Ride Over Already?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
People whose mifi hot spot thingy is on back ordered received an email this morning stating  OmniLynx customers who had pending backorders got an e-mail this morning saying they would be getting a refund, and that 'the provider' was unwilling to support the program. Ack I cut and pasted part of that. It's a horrible sentence. But I'm on the run. Deal with it.

Technomadia is right on top of it with answers to most of your questions
 http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/is-the-omnilynx-verizon-unlimited-data-plan-ride-over-already/

Yeah, the build order page has been updated to reflect the new circumstance:
http://hsvwifi.com/BuildOrder

"The wireless provider previously servicing the OmniLynx Program has recently expressed an inability or unwillingness to continue supporting the program. As a result, and regrettably, we will be unable to accommodate orders at this time. We are exploring alternatives for the continuation of the OmniLynx Program. At this time existing customers will not be affected by this change in supply.
Thank you for your patience, support, and understanding in this matter."

I still think Verizon was getting rid of the overstock of the 2014 mifi hotspot. The overstock is gone. Verizon will let OmniLynx make a few bucks and the unlimited plan on those particular devices will be shutdown just in time to unload the next batch of obsolete devices.

I figure I've gotten cheap unlimited wifi for a year and a free hotspot.

The program was always meant to be for the local school children and parents, then expanded to the local community. Never intended for country wide purchase. No wonder Verizon got pissed. That said, I have my Omnilynx with the JetPack from Verizon. I tried it once, faster than my DSL! I will hook to Ruku and run NPR for a while.

Well this is disappointing news, i guess i will just enjoy it while i can.

My order was cancelled yesterday. It was worth a try.

VanGirl

update, as of today.. recieved this

Dear Subscriber:

We regret to inform you that your wireless service will terminate effective November 30, 2015 (the “Termination Date”). This termination of service and any resulting inconvenience has resulted from the service provider, Verizon Wireless (“Verizon”) and its decision to discontinue its support of the program. Needless to say, this circumstance is unfortunate and we are disappointed by Verizon’s decision – particularly in light of the fact that Verizon publicly endorsed and applauded the Omnilynx program less than one year ago.

As of the Termination Date and in accordance with your terms of service, you will no longer receive wireless services pursuant to the Omnilynx program, and we will no longer accept payment(s) for such services. Balances received in advance of service will be prorated and promptly refunded to you.

Thank you for your support of the OmniLynx program.

This thing had the "too good to be true" ring from the start.
My understanding was that it was, when it first began, supposed to be for school and students at home...maybe I'm wrong 
Then, they went public and screwed up...possibly.

If they was the case and lots of people all over the country signed up it might violate something in Verizon's view.

I don't know, it just didn't feel right for me to pull out my wallet.

NomadMike said:
Well this is disappointing news, i guess i will just enjoy it while i can.
bindi&us said:
This thing had the "too good to be true" ring from the start.
My understanding was that it was, when it first began, supposed to be for school and students at home...maybe I'm wrong 
Then, they went public and screwed up...possibly.

If they was the case and lots of people all over the country signed up it might violate something in Verizon's view.

I don't know, it just didn't feel right for me to pull out my wallet.

Now I have to decide if I want to restart my old Millinicom one with verizon which is suspended, or decide if I can do without.. dont feel like going back to 100 a month.

Suanne said:
So sad ... but, I definitely feel like I got my money's worth ... even if it was for just a few months.

agreed, but now I have to relearn caps all over again <grin> being able to do things at will and not worry about it, I was blowing through 80 gigs a month...

I agree with Jay. if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is. highdesertanger

For January, I guess I will reactivate my StraightTalk mobile hotspot. It uses Verizon and it is $10 per GB -- which had been the cheapest Verizon I found (for hotspot .. not for cell data).

Those of you who gave Omnilynx your banking info had better keep an eye on your banking. Seems others who got canceled are still having payments pulled from their accounts.

I use Straighttalk hotspot (5GB for $50 2X a month). It works for me until the Verizon towers go down. They go down a lot here.

Oddly enough to get 7GB costs $75. Makes sense doesn't it.

I'll miss having the extra coverage from having Verizon in addition to AT&T, but at least I still have my unlimited AT&T hotspot.

Technomadia tells us that we get to keep the jet pack. so, I got a $200 jet pack for my trouble that will be compatible with verizon.

cyndi said:
Technomadia tells us that we get to keep the jet pack. so, I got a $200 jet pack for my trouble that will be compatible with verizon.

I've been wondering about this, figured I would wait to hear from them on sending it back, but if verizon has pulled their plug, dont see why they would have wanted it back. Sadly, my millinicom hotspot is what I will go back to, so this one will just sit.

Lost in the world said:
I'll miss having the extra coverage from having Verizon in addition to AT&T, but at least I still have my unlimited AT&T hotspot.

How often is this a issue?