Is stealth even worth it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
That sounds like a silly question, and maybe it is. I should explain....

I will be overnighting at dispersed camping areas, truck stops, Wal-Marts and other places that permit such activities. (The occasional rest area too, depending on the state laws.) I've been assuming that I need to black out all the windows so nobody could possibly see the illumination from my laptop at night or spy on my while I'm sleeping. But then I got to thinking: why? If I'm parked in an area that allows what I'm doing, what's the point of hiding it? If I'm worried about bad guys with evil intent, wouldn't they be LESS likely to hassle my car if they know I'm inhabiting it? (and if they do hassle me, wouldn't it be easier to get away quickly if I could see out of my windows?)

I can hide anything in the vehicle that looks like it might be worth stealing. If I don't want to be distracted by parking lot lights, etc, I can always wear an eyeshade or pull a cap down over the upper part of my face.

If I had to sleep in a place that doesn't normally permit it, I could even do some quick-and-dirty stealth by covering MYSELF with some sort of breathable black mesh as I sleep. Voila, I now look like a duffel bag, or a lump of old laundry in the back seat....

So.... for my purposes, is stealth even a major consideration?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, in those circumstances, and i wouldn't even use window coverings if I were not working, let the sun be your alarm clock
Although the likelihood of someone looking in might make me cover windows in parking lots, for thesake of decency lol

Sounds like you might not have much experience with sleeping in populated areas? I for one could never fall asleep if I don't have blacked out windows or at least some privacy. I've had a couple midnight knocks and even a break in while I was in the vehicle and it's very unpleasant to feel that exposed, let me tell ya. Plus your windows will fog up and everyone will know you're inside anyway if there's nothing over them.

Outfitting a car for stealthing is expensive; so if it's worth it in that sense then that's another question.

Mine didn't, in the Ranger, and it wasn't cold, but it wasn't warm either, 40s IIRC
the presence of others bothered me when I was using the raised platform, but when i put the bed down, so I wasn't on a level with the windows, I was OK
A midnight knock or break in would be inadvisable, unless the knocker was an LEO, that's why I will only boondock where it's legal

ganchan said:
So.... for my purposes, is stealth even a major consideration?

To the extent that you hide your van in and among other vehicles in a place where vehicles are normally parked over-night... and you take reasonable precautions not to look like you're the Beverly Hillbillies 'a-campin,' yes.  Past that, you're only being stealthy from people who don't care to look to see what you're up to.  There are a bunch of ways to tell if a vehicle is occupied if a person really wants to know for some reason, and many of them are quite obvious despite the best "stealth" practices promoted here.

Hide in the open among other vehicles in a place you can lawfully park.  Don't call attention to yourself, and you'll likely be just fine.

I think more often than not the only people they are fooling is themselves. For the most part people are pretty much unaware of what is going on around them so they're not going to notice you sleeping in your vehicle anyways. And most people that do notice really aren't going to give a care one way or another.

I also think it's easier to just park where it's allowed and then you don't have to worry about and it you'll probably sleep better if not on edge. Bright lights and noise doesn't bother me too much when sleeping so I've never taken much consideration to my windows. My side and rear van windows were tinted, so it would be pretty hard to see anything in the back at night, I was always comfortable with that. If noise bothers you when you try to sleep, you're probably not going to love truck stops and walmarts. So I guess that would or could be one reason some people blend into residential areas to sleep

Parking lots-
I pull the curtains closed. I hate the lights shining in.
If you're changing clothes, I'd advise keeping out of sight. Imagine a bus load of kids going by just as you strip down. I know its circumstantial...but if the Law gets a call about a naked guy exposing himself, you will have a lot of explaining to do.

When the sign says "NO CAMPING", it means extended stays. The people that are resting overnight, and moving on the next day are not hassled. At least in my experience.

Private property owners have a right to protect what is theirs. Security or police may ask you to move along. If you're parked in front of my house, I WILL come a-knockin'..

Stealth is about more than being sneaky. Its about discretion.
A few bad apples, and those free, quiet parking spots get closed off. Seen it happen.

dispersed camping areas, truck stops, Wal-Marts and other places that permit such activities. (The occasional rest area too, depending on the state laws.)

None of those describe as 'in front of someone's house' let's stay on topic

My windows are blacked out for privacy, even though I mostly park legally on private property.

When stopping at a rest area after a longer drive, I like to swing out my TV, autoscan for local channels, have a beer, unwind. I would not do that if I could be seen inside doing so.

Once I did not close my front curtain enough and I got a tap on the window by someone with absolutely horrid breathe asking if I could put on 'the game', like I was going to invite them inside.

I also like having dimmable red LED lights so even if one could see in, the light is not really obvious, and does not affect my ability to go back to sleep after a Pee bottle deposit

ArtW said:
dispersed camping areas, truck stops, Wal-Marts and other places that permit such activities. (The occasional rest area too, depending on the state laws.)

None of those describe as 'in front of someone's house' let's stay on topic

Got it. Sorry.

With the amount of free campsites available, unless youre staying in city for work, no need.

gargoyle said:
Parking lots-
I pull the curtains closed. I hate the lights shining in.
If you're changing clothes, I'd advise keeping out of sight. Imagine a bus load of kids going by just as you strip down. I know its circumstantial...but if the Law gets a call about a naked guy exposing himself, you will have a lot of explaining to do.

Maybe I could throw a sheet over myself for a few seconds while I'm sitting or lying down in the vehicle to do a quick change of clothes. Or if I'm at a place with a restroom, maybe I can carry a bag with a change of clothes into a toilet stall and do my changing there.

If you are using your laptop in full open, to me it just give bad guys ideas. Its openly announcing you have valuables. Try doing that at a truck stop or Walmart near New Orleans lol. Be low-key as possible in general period, that's my rule. You just never know.

I would have to agree with Every Road Leads Home.
I really never had a problem, even with LEO's. If they ask me to move I would move. It's never happen yet.
People are fooling themselves thinking they are stealth camping. LEO's just run your plate's and can tell if you live in the area in seconds.
If you are in an area where it is permitted there is no need.

When in my truck and topper also when I had a van I sometimes parked legally but in an area where sleeping in your vehicle was not illegal but discouraged or made difficult others in the area usually in urban areas. Being able to park and go to sleep without being obvious and leaving without getting out early the next morning made it easy. I have found with my trailer it is just as easy, and usually more enjoyable to camp remotely, drop the trailer and drive into town during the day and for piece of mind sometimes throw a camo tarp over the trailer to make it stick out less while I'm in town. I have found lately that with so many more people sleeping in vehicles it is more accepted if you just do it in plain sight. Arriving late and leaving early still seems to be the best way.

SternWake said:
My windows are blacked out for privacy, even though I mostly park legally on private property.

When stopping at a rest area after a longer drive, I like to swing out my TV, autoscan for local channels, have a beer, unwind.  I would not do that if I could be seen inside doing so.

Once  I did not close my front curtain enough and I got a tap on the window by someone with absolutely horrid breathe asking  if I could put on 'the game', like I was going to invite them inside.

I also like having dimmable red LED lights so even if one could see in, the light is not really obvious, and does not affect my ability to go back to sleep after a Pee bottle deposit

Just don't have the keys in the ignition, on the seat/doghouse or even in your pocket if theres an open container...  
http://www.lacriminaldefensepartners.com/parked-car-dui/

"Another scenario is where you enter or are in your car but have not driven. In California, you can be convicted of Attempted DUI for trying to or exhibiting the specific intent to drive even if your car is still parked.
There is the crime of attempt, which is dealt with under Penal Code Section 21(a). An attempt is a specific intent to commit a crime with a direct but ineffectual act towards committing it.
Again, the officer must first have probable cause to detain and question you. If someone called 911 and reported you as stumbling, acting strangely or wandering around aimlessly or looking into other cars or houses before getting into your car, then the officer might have probable cause to investigate further.
If the officer arrives and you are sitting in the front seat, keys in the ignition or the engine on, then you can be presumed to have intended to drive. Other evidence might be belongings or luggage or groceries in the back seat together with no evidence of someone else as passenger or driver."

This world isn said:
"Another scenario is where you enter or are in your car but have not driven. In California, you can be convicted of Attempted DUI for trying to or exhibiting the specific intent to drive even if your car is still parked.
There is the crime of attempt, which is dealt with under Penal Code Section 21(a). An attempt is a specific intent to commit a crime with a direct but ineffectual act towards committing it.

This is where it's really good to have your van registered as a "housecar" (motorhome) in California  as the open container section, [font='Lucida Grande', 'Lucida Sans Unicode', Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small]California Vehicle Code Section 23226[size=small], [/size][/size][/font][font=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]specifically allows open containers in the living quarters of a motorhome:[/font]

c) This section shall not apply to the living quarters of a housecar or camper.

[font=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Just ensure that you're enjoying your malt beverage in the space BEHIND the driver and passenger seats in the front of the coach. [/font]

I try to exercise a different type of stealth. I try to keep my van as presentable as possible so that wherever I am -- going down the highway, getting groceries, going to a national park, etc. -- people don't think, "There's a homeless, broke, drug-using peace of loser trash." Not because it would hurt my feelings, but because I want to pass unnoticed. I think that's different than hiding. And if I do get noticed, I'm just an old fart in a van, not a threat to the public.