Is it even possible to run this

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshKidding

Reaction score
I have a gaming desktop that I actually installed into my van. Its a fullsize computer with a 500 watt power supply. It also has a 22inch lcd monitor. I use this desktop for photo editing as well as gaming. I've only used it recently with shore power but I'm curious if it's even possible to use solar to power it so I can work abroad or game abroad. The only other components I might need to power in the van at the same time is a small fan during hotter months.

Otherwise, other things I have in the van;
a 32inch TV
various chargers(phone, laptop, etc)
possibly a small water pump install.

The thing is, I wouldn't need to run the TV while using the computer and the chargers wouldn't have to run simultaneously either.

So what kind of system would I have to look at power wise to be able to run a computer like that 8+ hours a day? Is it even possible without an enormous monentary investment?

Lets assume I cannot afford a laptop of equal power.

What do the computer and monitor actually draw, 500 watts is the max the power supply can supply, not the computers use in it's current configuration.

A "Kill-A-Watt" will answer many questions easily.

corky

If the computer draw 500 watts continuously, then it would be very hard to power via batteries for 8 hours a day.  Not impossible, but without enough battery capacity and recharging capacity, daily, then the batteries will not live a respectable lifespan.

You should get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Or similar, and run all your computer components through it for 8 hours while in use as you plan to use them.

Come back with a Kilowatt number, and we can do the math and account for inefficiencies due to inverter, and line losses, and the fact that batteries generally need 110% the energy taken from them to fully recharge.

And fully recharging them as often as possible after a discharge, will allow the battery(s) to live a respectable life.  

Its likely gonna require 4 T-105 golf cart batteries and 500 watts of solar, minimum, but that is a guess until we know your true Kilowatt consumption.

Access to other charging sources, employed regularly, like the grid to run a plug in charger, and using a well wired alternator when driving, can reduce the need for mass amounts of solar.  But day after day, off grid, no generator,  and not driving, are going to require higher amounts of solar  and access to good sun all day long, to keep the batteries happy.

If you don't keep batteries happy, you just replace them sooner.  Maximizing their lifespans can be taken to absolutely ridiculous degrees, more effort than it is worth, where one forgets that the batteries were bought to work for the human, not the other way around.

So there is a line in the sand that needs to be drawn, and it relates directly to your expectation of battery longevity, as to where to place that line, and make the compromises before deciding on a system.

and getting a 12v tv that you can also use for your monitor, will save a little. higdesertranger

Thanks guys. As soon as I have a little cash Ill invest in the meter and see what I'm actually running at. Right now I'm not too worried as Ill spend most of the summer at sites with shore power.

If I could only find a viable internet solution that doesn't involve a ridiculous phone plan or free wifi.

amwbox- Does converting it over to 12v let it run just out of the lighter plugs or is that too much pull?

JoshKidding said:
Thanks guys. As soon as I have a little cash Ill invest in the meter and see what I'm actually running at. Right now I'm not too worried as Ill spend most of the summer at sites with shore power.

You might want to check with your local library or electric company to see if they have a loaner. I was able to borrow one from my library to test the old fridge in my apartment. Showed the usage to my landlord and now I have a spiffy new fridge... :)

It's not like you need the meter for future use, just long enough to check each of what you want to run to get accurate 24 hour readings.

JoshKidding said:

If I could only find a viable internet solution that doesn't involve a ridiculous phone plan or free wifi.

amwbox- Does converting it over to 12v let it run just out of the lighter plugs or is that too much pull?
Probably too much at peak. Just run it off the house battery, properly fused.

JoshKidding said:

Guess it depends on your needs but prepaid plans are fairly decent these days. Probably not enough for online gaming (latency on cell internet sucks in my experience anyway) or streaming but not bad for general internet use.

If you get a 12v PSU you don't want to run it off a ciggy lighter plug, 500w / 12v is over 40 amps with that much power not counting efficiency. I would want connectors much more stout than the ciggy lighter plug. it looks like those PSUs are designed to use spade connectors so combined with some thick wire would be fine.

After looking those 12VDC PSUs linked earlier they are only 65% efficient compared to platinum or titanium rated 110v PSUs that are 90%+, so may not be much if any better than a a quality pure sine wave inverter and 110VAC PSU.

As was mentioned kill-a-watt is a great way of telling your power consumption.

Personally I wouldn't dare running my gaming PC off of house batteries 8hrs a day unless I had a huge solar setup and/or a genny to keep me charged. My system isn't that powerful either with a R9-270 and an AMD A10-5800K it's a mid to low end rig.

Good catch on that low efficiency. Sounds like it would be a wash a best.

...honestly for gaming the best bet is a gaming laptop. I've got an Asus G751JT and it maxes out most games while drawing no more than about 180 watts under load. With all the investment in powering a desktop gaming rig from a 12 volt system...might be best to save some heat, power and space and bite the bullet on a gaming laptop.

I second the gaming laptop vs. a pc tower. I also have an ASUS laptop with an i7 and G745m card on it. It was a 700.00 refurbished one from Groupon and I have had it over a year. It runs at 90w peak and is pretty decent for gaming on the road. I run an external 24 in monitor with it via the HDMI port and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I am using it at home right now for work, but plan on using it in my van once I get it setup.