Is it easier to urban stealth-camp if you sleep during the day?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of the hassles related to urban stealth-dwelling revolve around parking overnight without looking suspicious. If that's the case, would it be easier to switch to a nocturnal schedule? (Assuming that you are retired or set your own work hours)? Your vehicle might still be parked outside a 24-hour gym or coffeeshop or whatever, but you wouldn't be sleeping in it; you'd simply be a nighttime customer of the establishment. No one cares about a vehicle parked in a public spot during daytime hours, as long as it's parked legally and the parking space has no time limit or reservation on it....

ganchan said:
No one cares about a vehicle parked in a public spot during daytime hours, as long as it's parked legally...

No one cares about a legally parked vehicle at NIGHT, either. They care about someone sleeping/living in it. That's what freaks them out for some reason, even though sleeping people tend not to commit crimes. 

Driving around in the middle of the night, especially in vehicles large enough to contain stolen goods, drug shipments or kidnapped people (or, horror of horrors, someone with the intent to sleep), attract attention from law enforcement.

I would think it would be 'easier in a way' but what are ya gonna do at night? most things are closed so it isn't like you can go somewhere......if you have a night place to camp and hang, then sure, reversing the schedule could work for you. If you are working at night then you have a safe place to park your vehicle I guess. A lot of night places are open depending on what you want to do in the wee hrs, like 2-3-4-5 am when most things are not open....if working, sure you got it made, but who in the heck wants to work anymore, not me HAHA If your vehicle is parked at night at a 24 hr place like the gym, then you are kinda bound just there other than 'walking around' for the sake of walking at night and that could get ya into trouble, ya never know.

What did you plan on doing all night, then ............... ?

my question is if you are retired why are you hanging out in the city? where this is even an issue. highdesertranger

The simplest way to urban-stealth-camp?

Don't park where you aren't wanted.

I've been urban camping for four years in 30-some states, and never had much problem.

highdesertranger said:
my question is if you are retired why are you hanging out in the city? 

To be fair, not all of us want to live out in the desert.  ;)

I urban-camp almost exclusively because most of the things I want to see--museums, historical sites, zoos and aquariums--are in the city.

I'm sure there's a certain, luck of the draw, to all this.  Parking is sparse in my neighborhood.  A random vehicle gets noticed.  Not that it's a bad thing.  Just sayin.
I had the driveway widened so if MY spot is taken, all is well.
Stick n Brick mentality, sorry. But I'd prolly peer into the vehicle and if eye contact is made, a quick inquisitive thumbs up by me for the just in case, factor.

highdesertranger said:
my question is if you are retired why are you hanging out in the city? where this is even an issue.  highdesertranger

If it wasn't such a hassle I'd spend more time in cities. Especially beach cities.

stealth it is an acquired skill for sure, it is not just about your rig and some black out curtins. your behavior and actions are far more important. lots of observation, researching the codes and laws and just getting out there and doing it.

one of the "tricks" i have used over the years is to pull into a non 24 hour gas station not too long before they close. tank up on fuel and chat up the attendant and or cashier. tell them you are traveling ask about places to check out in the area. then if you get the good vibe, ask them "hey you mind if i park over there out of the way till morning so i can check out such n such ( that they told you not to miss) almost always i have had them say ya, no problem. some times "stealth is not about hiding, but being obvious"

You could apply for a night job someplace and have a legitimate reason to hang out there all night.

if it wasn't for all the people I would spend a ton more time in the cities :) :)

Trying to imagine sleeping in my vehicle in an urban setting and the first thing I think of is this...

I'd probably want to keep windows and doors closed for security reasons while I sleep, especially in a city. Even in cool weather, if it's sunny, it's gonna get really hot inside if you're not parked in the shade. It's hard enough to find a place to park for even a short time with my dog in the vehicle much less all day to sleep.

And there's the noise factor. More people out and about during the day, lots more traffic.

It may be okay if you found just the right spot to park.

I like truck stops because it's all so (a) obvious and (b) sanctioned. I never feel weird about parking next to a line of vans and cars with blankets or curtains in the windows. It's like, "Yeah, we're here and this is what we're doing. Big deal." One thing I did encounter recently, however, was a 48-hour maximum parking rule at a truck stop in Phoenix. (They had a very active security guy there who watched the vehicles closely.) Which is fair enough; if I have enough truck stops to choose from I can just rotate from one day to the next....

we love truck stops. haven't seen the limit at any yet. Interesting to know some are doing that. I get it tho, they don't want to become a long term parking home for anyone, truck stops are for stopping for a bit and moving on.

I think the daytime heat would absolutely run you out of a van, and running A/C, or windows down with fans running during the day might also attract unwanted attention.

Possibly finding a shady spot in a city park might work.

I envy people who are so immune to the noise pollution of a city that they could even consider trying to sleep in the daytime. But apparently such people exist.

Or is it just that the noisiness of urban or rural boondocking is taboo to talk about?

The noise of a city street is pretty insane to me too, and the vibration, which can be pretty amazing, and the whoosh of wind shaking you. Plus the heat, wow. It takes a huge tree, or a lot of them, or some kind of perfect positioning, to be shaded all day long by a tree. Probably be better off trying to suffer through the morning heat on the east side of a building and then getting the chance to cool down a little when noon passes and the sun is no the other side, leaving you in the shade at long last.