Is it better to work night shift?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
Insofar as stealth goes, especially if one plans to have pet(s) while living in a vehicle, is it better to work a night shift job? Not as many people about, cooler in summer. One could sleep in a vehicle in the daytime in a parking lot or wherever without it seeming out of place (with windows covered, of course). 

I am thinking of changing jobs and perhaps going to a part time job if I can afford it, since I wouldn't be paying rent anymore. So it's a good time to get some ideas and plan.

If you can deal with the night shift, that's great. Have you ever worked the night shift? Except for a certain kind of person, it's tough. I'm an RN and worked the 7p to 7a for way too long. It caused major problems with my health. Working night shift is associated with higher rates of some kinds of cancer and other health problems. Go ahead and Google it. Also, sleeping during the day won't be so good in the summer.

Give it a try. You may like it. For me, the best benefit of working nights was the absence of "suits". The rest of it sucked.
Ted

When I worked night shift, I had a hard enough time sleeping in a regular apartment. i think it would be really difficult to sleep in a vehicle in an urban area during the day. you do say part time, so maybe it wouldn't be so bad, if it was 2 or 3 nights a week. I can see where it would be easier/better to leave your pet at night, and be more difficult to leave them alone in a vehicle during the day. good luck to you!

I never minded working nights. The problem was the job was rotating shifts. We changed every 2 weeks. Murder on the body, rest patterns and general health. I lasted 6 months.

I don't full-time. I have had the thought of working 2nd shift 3pm to 11pm. At least during the summer. That would have you leaving for work around the hottest part of the the day and getting off work once it's cooled down. I think 2nd shift is easier on the body and mind than 3rd.

I worked graveyard twice, several years each.  Years later,  I  still have to take a nap in the middle of the day. 
I
2ND shift,  noon till 8pm, was a breeze.  Even if I had to work till midnight. 

Making plans for your pets... I hope that includes some planning that includes temperature in your vehicle,  water, breeze maybe? 

Pat

mr_elijah_gardner said:
I have had the thought of working 2nd shift 3pm to 11pm.

I think that if you want/need to work, the 3-11 shift is perfect for a single person living out of a vehicle.
There wouldn't be much of a problem getting out of work and crashing in the parking lot until 7am when the day shift arrives. Then go about your daily routine until it's time to go back to work. Also pretty comfortable for a pet. Allows you to check on them and take for a walk at lunch or on a break.

Just my 2¢

Second shift isn't bad, and works pretty well in warm areas. I took a temp job with a law firm representing IBM 1983-84, and could run out to the van to let the dog out in the middle of the shift. But I also had rigid screens in the front windows and tried to park in the shade of one of the trees.

It's quite bad for your health to stay up all night and sleep during the day. I don't recommend it.

In the A.F. flying as a crew member, I hated flying and working at night. Pulling a all nighter flying several different time zones really mess's up your circadian rhythm like you wouldn't believe, and it get's a lot harder as you get older. Takes days to recover, So glad I'm retired!

when I worked in manufacturing of computer printers we worked four 10's on what they called the swing shift. 4pm-2:30am. no work from Friday at 2:30am until Monday at 4pm. I liked it but I was young. highdesertranger

When I drove rail crews, I was on-call 24 hours a day, up to 7 days a week. That wasn't bad enough: our company was 'forgetting' to pay us for some of the hours.

I sure didn't like it.

The people I worked with who had been doing it for a while always looked kinda ashen, and I know a few started to have psychological problems.

If your life & relationships let you, switching the body clock around pretty permanently, say at least six months, isn't too bad, at least for me.

But chopping and changing your rhythms, forget it, like torture, very destructive to sanity for most.

13 years on nights here. it messes with your vitamin D. you will need to supplement your intake. It's no big deal for short term seasonal if you can get your body used to it. as I get older it gets harder to do.

gsfish said:
Even more so if you are spending all night in the bar. Seriously though, any sources?

I worked 7/12s 6pm to 6am for three months at a paper mill that was being reconfigured. I was told that they would hire me in as a top helper during the day shift or journeyman at night. Once I got settled in I kind of liked it, no big management and half the workers. Big job, 3,000 day shift and 1,500 on nights!

Guy

I'd consider this within the category of basic health knowledge. I'm sure if you do some searching you will find studies. I'm not going to do it for you. (I don't mean to be or sound flippant here)

(I did also work night shifts for about a year and found my own personal impact on health/fitness/etc. inline with the negative effects that are common. And indeed, it was a lot 'quieter' at night at the factory I worked too.)

John61CT said:
If your life & relationships let you, switching the body clock around pretty permanently, say at least six months, isn't too bad, at least for me.

But chopping and changing your rhythms, forget it, like torture, very destructive to sanity for most.

Yes. The switching really makes it horrible for people.

I worked nights for about a year and I never switched. I stayed on the same sleep pattern, even trough most holiday breaks and such. My coworkers who would try to switch to sort of normal sleep/wake times each weekend would come in a wreck the first two workdays of the week. I'd guess that regular switching like that makes it 2-3x worse.

I work midnight shifts right now 10pm-8am. Been on the schedule for several years.  I NEVER get a good 8 hours of sleep. I like the shift due to peace and quiet and not being hassled by anyone. I am constantly tired and slowly dying from the hours though. I did find swing shifts (2pm-10pm) to be great, not tired and did not have to get up early.

If you are single it's bad.  If you are in a relationship it's horrible.  Way back when I was in the Air Force I was a medic and worked the emergency room alternating between 4-12 shift a few days off then 12-8 shift.  I was always tired and my wife and kids got tired of walking on eggs while I tried to sleep. Then there was always somebody stopping by to visit.  3-11 not a bad shift, 11-7 sucks bigtime.