Is high oil pressure a problem?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:-/  Today when I started my van to move it from right at my apts. doorway the oil pressure gauge jumped to 80 [the highest # on the gauge] so fast it startled me!  I had driven it about 10 miles earlier and did not notice any problems.  I do check my gauges when I drive, just not constantly. It's a 4.3 V6 in a 1998 GMC Safari conversion van with maybe 130,000 miles on it.  Made me wonder if the oil isn't circulating correctly so that cause's the high pressure?  I just drive 'em I can't fix 'em.  Any ideas?  Hints?  Dumb blonde comments?   :p
   Thanks,
Jewellann

It jumped to 80 at start-up, but did it stay at 80.?
Lots of gauges jump at start-up , and then settle into normal range after a few seconds.

It's going back in the shop on Tues I hope.  I'll ask my mech tomorrow when I confirm Tues. visit.

Thanks   Jewellann

yep the best thing to do is have it verified. the gauge might be accurate it might not. if you do this and check back with the results we can get a better answer. have it check when the factory gauge reads 80psi, also when it's totally warmed up and idling. highdesertranger

I had this happen to my 2003 GMC Yukon. I believe it was the Oil Sending Unit or the Pressure Sensor...whichever one it was I was told it was a good thing to catch it early.

Anybody know if the pressure sender on a 4.3 is before or after the oil filter? If before, perhaps the oil filter is clogged and not going into bypass.

I put a mechanical Op gauge in my Van as the stock electrical one was giving funky readings. Now the lines are T'd, the mechanical one responds instantly to rpm, the electric one takes about 45 seconds at the same rpm to register a change in pressure.

My max PSI is 68 cold at any rpm, reaches 62 PSI hot as it gets at ~2450 rpm, 18psi at hot idle( 525rpm) with Mobil 1 0w-40. Thicker oil causes higher hot PSI, thinner oil causes lower PSI when hot.
When cold it is always 68PSI.

I determine full engine temperature not by the coolant temperature, but by the Oil PSI, as it takes a lot longer for the oil to heat up than it does the coolant.

Caught Lon at lunch today and told him about high oil pressure.  He said it's probably the orig. oil sesor/sender? and just wore out.  The part is about $24 and labor about $60.  Said he has to get to it from inside the cab is why the labor is higher.  I drove the van a little today and noticed the oil pressure gauge seemed to be leveling back to between 60 and 80.  Anyways Safari in shop on Thurs. and Aliner getting tires and bearing check on Fri.  My DRs appt on Wed.

Jewellann

Almost certainly just the sensor. Especially given that it went to full high. Full high or full low readings tends to be the positive lead tied high or tied low which is a failure of the wiring or sensor.

Keep in mind you're vehicle is OBD2 equipped and codes can be read at any auto store for free.

A multimeter can be used on the sensor to determine what the input and output signal is.

The sender should be right under your distributor if I'm remembering correctly.

Gideon33w said:
Keep in mind you're vehicle is OBD2 equipped and codes can be read at any auto store for free.
                          WHAT'S IT? ^^^^ PLEASE AND THANK YOU

Jewellann

OBD II is an On Board Diagnosis system put into all newer cars.

By utilizing a special plug (most often found below the steering wheel) and a computer or code reader, you can pin point trouble areas for your vehicle.

Different years, different brands offer different areas of diagnosis.

Dave

"On Board Diagnostics" version 2

It means you have more sensors monitoring things and a smarter brain analyzing/recording the info. Plus a port under your steering wheel which can be used to check that data.
You can buy your own plug and play machine for reading that information (good idea for any vandweller) or go to any auto parts place and get it checked for free.