Is anyone here living out of a Jeep Wrangler?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lj Unlimited

Reaction score
I'd like to know if anyone here has or is living out of a Jeep Wrangler full time or for extended periods of time ( 6 months or longer). I have taken my 06 Unlimited on a few 10 day outings to Michigan's upper peninsula on hiking, biking, and kayaking trips. It is a great choice to get off the off the beaten path. I generally sleep in a tent or under the stars, but have had to sleep in the drivers seat on a few nights when heavy thunder storms rolled thru. My back hated me for days after. 

When I can finally wander the country full time this is what I would like to do it in. I have found a few drop in camper shells, but at $23 to 30 grand for them it is not an option. I could tow a small A frame or pop up. However I would not be able to get as deep into the back country.

So it's an unlimited? If it's just you and you're serious about it, you might be able to get a horizontal plane long enough to lie down by removing the driver's seat and rear seat... Then putting a bed down lengthwise in the passenger side... Dunno if you want to go that route.

One of my dream vehicles would be an Unlimited with an Ursa Minor pop top. They make 2 different ones - one that fold all the way over the hood and can sleep 4, or the one I like that just pops up like an old Volkswagon pop top and sleeps 2. Still 8 grand or so though. I also remember seeing some panels that replaced the rear seat and made a flat surface from the front seats back - maybe that could work for you? That solution would also be more stealthy if you had to spend a night in town.

I think your best options are what you are currently doing. Look for tents that are easy to set up like popup tents, there are many good ones now on amazon. Use tarps for a quick way to sleep on the ground, this is more stealth than a tent. Bivyies are stealthy but expensive. Check out some of the bicycle forums for ideas on stealth camping, they have to stealth camp when traveling.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Are you familiar with Off Road and Expedition type trailers?  Spend some time over at:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/42-Expedition-Trailers

A good rooftop tent like an:

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/maggiolina.php

can be mounted to such a trailer, and can give you a very good night's sleep.

Finally, some people build some very capable off-road teardrop trailers: 

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=05de3d9cf4a2785a851ab79598ed9132

Regards
John

Thanks John.... At some point I would love to build a tear drop with leaf springs and 32" tires. Luckily it will be about 5 years before I can become a nomad.

TMG51 said:
So it's an unlimited? If it's just you and you're serious about it, you might be able to get a horizontal plane long enough to lie down by removing the driver's seat and rear seat... Then putting a bed down lengthwise in the passenger side... Dunno if you want to go that route.

Yes it is an Unlimited 2 door. Last of the bullet proof 4.0l models. The back seat has been in the garage 99% of time since I brought her home from the dealer. I could pull the passenger seat and probably make it work, but being 6'4" and 230 it would still be a squeeze. And I would need a safari rack system to free up some space in the cargo area. Just looking at all options.

Spirituallifetime said:
I think your best options are what you are currently doing. Look for tents that are easy to set up like popup tents, there are many good ones now on amazon. Use tarps for a quick way to sleep on the ground, this is more stealth than a tent. Bivyies are stealthy but expensive. Check out some of the bicycle forums for ideas on stealth camping, they have to stealth camp when traveling.

My current under the stars sleep system consists of an Eno Appalachain hammock with a bug screen. Easy on the back.  :shy: ZERO stealth  :s

I don't have a wrangler but I live out of my jeep liberty for months at a time, I stay in passenger seat layed back. Took me a while but I'm comfy now. I did buy a hammock and do have a tent I will use depending if I'm in grizzly area or not. I mostly travel Rockies and southwest

Welcome to the CRVL forums Workinprogress101! We'd love to hear more about how you set up your jeep. Also, be sure to introduce yourself in the Newcomer's Corner.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi, I just joined tonight.
I just purchased a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited yesterday to pull the off road trailer that my son-in-law is building for me to do some long term camping here out in the southwest and up in the Pacific Northwest. I looked at store made off road trailers and they are way to expensive for me. The one I am building will be just as good if not better than the store bought ones for a fraction of the cost.
My Jeep should be able to tow it with no problems.
Take a look if you want on how the build is going. this is part 12

Pat

I guess I will bump this thread since I am very interested to see if anyone out there is living out of a Jeep Wrangler or knows anyone who is.

Thanks!

Lj Unlimited said:
I'd like to know if anyone here has or is living out of a Jeep Wrangler full time or for extended periods of time ( 6 months or longer). I have taken my 06 Unlimited on a few 10 day outings to Michigan's upper peninsula on hiking, biking, and kayaking trips. It is a great choice to get off the off the beaten path. I generally sleep in a tent or under the stars, but have had to sleep in the drivers seat on a few nights when heavy thunder storms rolled thru. My back hated me for days after. 

When I can finally wander the country full time this is what I would like to do it in. I have found a few drop in camper shells, but at $23 to 30 grand for them it is not an option. I could tow a small A frame or pop up. However I would not be able to get as deep into the back country.

I've got an 09 Unlimited Rubicon that is setup for two people to sleep in for as long as they want.  The bed is actually more comfortable than either of the two fancy queen pillow tops I've had at home.  The trick for this was getting a flat floor setup (rear seat removed) and cutting a high quality Ikea memory foam mattress to fit the space.  I had it turned into three custom cushions that jigsaw puzzle together to make a super comfy bed for up to two adults.  The other trick is using a heavy duty steel rear shelf to keep the cooler (soon to be 12v fridge) and all the gear stored above where your feet/legs go when laying in bed.  Unfortunately it's all in storage right now as I'm in the middle of dealing with a move but I'd be happy to provide more info or try and get pictures if it helps.  My old girlfriend had the same year unlimited as you and I'm not sure there is enough length to do what I've done and still keep both front seats.  If you pulled the front passenger seat you could probably do a comfy bed and still have room for gear.  Or you could rig something like the guy did on this page with a cot/platform over the top of the passenger seat:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/sleep-in-your-jeep-2dr-252741.html

With two people even a 4 door like mine is a pretty small setup without much room to hangout inside but I like the places the jeep can get.  I have a hammock and tarp+screen room to setup when staying in one location for more than a day or two.  The trick to making it all fit, especially with two people, is to use ultralight / compact backpacking gear as much as possible.  For one person there would be plenty of room to do full time and even reasonable space to move around inside the jeep.

Lots of fun ideas out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sleep+in+a+jeep&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Cheers!

Chris

I might have to revisit sleeping in my CJ7 after looking at some of those pictures.